Riverdale

skirby

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

A photo from the Big Dam Bridge website. To be open soon.

bigdambridgesm0.jpg

The Arkansas Business has a report about toursim and the Big Dam Bridge. "The Big Dam Bridge 100 was aiming to register about 500 cyclists for its inaugural event.....but has surpassed that with nearly three weeks to go." Officials are comparing The Big Dam Bridge 100 to the Little Rock marathon. The marathon had 2500 runners in 2003 and they expect 10,000 next spring. For this years marathon about 5,000 rooms were booked.

• 2 weeks later...

The Arkansas Business has a report about toursim and the Big Dam Bridge. "The Big Dam Bridge 100 was aiming to register about 500 cyclists for its inaugural event.....but has surpassed that with nearly three weeks to go." Officials are comparing The Big Dam Bridge 100 to the Little Rock marathon. The marathon had 2500 runners in 2003 and they expect 10,000 next spring. For this years marathon about 5,000 rooms were booked.

Registration has closed for the BDB 100 and the 5k for this weekend. Both have over 1000 entries, which is more than was expected.

About THE BIG DAM BRIDGE...

Until you've been ON it, you have no cred, so don't knock it.

I wanted to be in the first 5k across the bridge. I had an obligation to coach my U5 soccer team in a game at 10 a.m., just down the road at Murray Park. I would of had to miss the soccer game to run in the race. Currently, I am feeling very happy that I did not miss the game because my daughter scored her first goal. Goooooooaaaaaaaaallllll!

Yes, I know there are no goalies, but it is still a BIG DAM deal! We played an all boy team and my daughter is an ballet/art princess-type. Playing soccer, she exerts herself about 70 percent of what I know she is capable of. So hurray! Who knows? She may catch the bug, yet!

Back to the bridge, I took my family, wife, 4 year-old and 2 year-old (first on bike, later on trike) across the Big Dam Bridge this evening. Plenty of people. Saw friends. Passed out-of-towners discussing how neat it is. View is awesome! We loved it! Little Rock's stock went up today!

Cool, anybody have any photos?

There's a nice photo gallery here but I can't post the photos because the gallery is flash...

Big Dam Bridge

The sunsets at night looking West across the Arkansas and Maumelle Rivers with Pinnacle, Walton Mth and other mountains in the background must be spectacular. Driving across I-430 at the right time you get those views so I bet they are the same from the Big Dam Bridge.

• 1 month later...
Apparently not. Ark Business has the development up now, but it's a redevelopment of the 13-story Riviera building off of Cantrell in Riverdale from apartments into condos.

http://rivieralittlerock.com/

I have to be honest, I was less excited about seeing a new high rise condo building in Riverdale as I thought it took away from the downtown market. However, updating the Riviera building as those drawings show will improve the Riverdale area. I think that right now Riverdale is way undershooting its potential, especially the Riverdale Shopping Center. The area has a number of fine restaurants but it could so much more.

Oh good grief...is this not the stupidest marketing line ever!??!

"For some, living in the bustle of a busy dowtown is what it's all about. For the rest of us, we enjoy that excitement - but from an arm's length."

Don't get me wrong. Riverdale is a cool, mid-town district that is coming into its own (and where I work), but what an unsophisticated way to market your product. Like they're appealing to people who don't want to get too dirty or something....whatever.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived