This is always upsetting . . .

PghUSA

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06012/636696.stm

Seems that it's more then just a few teams like it has been in the last few seasons doing everything short of official barring Steeler fans from their stadiums. The kicker in almost every case is that most of these stadiums CAN'T sell out, whereas there is always a waiting list for tickets at Heinz.

Some may dismiss this as just sports . . . but it is disturbing to me that one of the regions main strengths (it's athleticsm and fans that support it, it's ability to show deep and strong regional pride and tradition in a way that isn't seen in new economy or sunbelt cities which Indy could be classified as) is punished and looked upon as something that should be quarantined by outsiders, and yet we are held up for our weaknesses on job growth and taxation!?! Even when we have a winning talent, we lose?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you're making this into more than it is. I can understand them wanting their home-team fans to be able to get tickets, and I can understand the desire to keep the stands mostly full of the home-team colors.

However I do think it is very screwed up to turn down a ticket buyer because they are calling from Pittsburgh. That seems akin to the days of segregation, in a way. "No Steelers Fans" signs in the windows, metaphorically speaking.

Everyone should be able to buy a ticket if they want, regardless of which team they root for or where they live. I wonder if what they are doing is legal.

^^ I agree Gerbil, I wouldn't care as much if THEY sold out to Colts fans months ago, but there is a good amount of tickets going unused!

To be fair not EVERYONE in Indiana is following their instructions, but to have the official word from the franchise spout that stuff is disturbing. Again, don't blame Pittsburghers for being more passionate about the game then your own fanbase, if there are 2,000 empty seats and Pittsburgh fans "locked out" that is counter to everything this nation and capitalism stands for.

However I do think it is very screwed up to turn down a ticket buyer because they are calling from Pittsburgh.

I disagree. The franchise needs to bend over backwards for their fans, not other fans. I get pissed off when my team doesn't do enough to keep visiting fans away. They finally get it now. They call up season ticket holders and have them place their friends on the ticket call back list for times when extra tickets are availible.

^^Sun I agree franchises lifeblood is the local fanbase, so they do come first, but that's just the thing these are tickets no one wants in Indy, there are thousands of seats left, and are being offered by re-sellers and double re-sellers.

What disturbs me even more (if you read the article), is not just that phone operators at Colts HQ are being told NOT to answer 412, 878 or 724 numbers (there are a few Colts fans here and handfuls of kids at Pitt and CMU from Indiana) but that Tony Dungy, whose wife is from Pittsburgh, who has lived in Pittsburgh probably longer then any other city, who became the man of faith he is today because of his "Pittsburgh friends", told the interviewer that even he has been pressured to EXCLUDE "the 412 crowd"--his most dearest friends and family! Dungy is as Pittsburgh as they come, there are many Dungy fans who happen to be Steeler fans, including all of his inlaws. Take a peek at my sig Sun, most NFL games are Great Pittsburgh QB vs. Great Pittsburgh DB, Great Pittsburgh running back vs. Great Pittsburgh Linebacker, Great Pittsburgh reciever catches ball from Great Pittsburgh QB against Great Pittsburgh coach. Even if you exclude all exclusively Steeler fans, the simple majority of coaches and all-stars in the league either are born and raised here or have deep roots here . . . how exactly can they NOT invite their friends and family who though rooting for Martin, Schottenheimer, Law, Bulger etc. also happen to be Steeler fans?

There is one simple solution . . . have your city produce it's own players and write the Steelers in for 40 Superbowls in a row, that way you won't have to come between family or lifelong friends when you exclude the Frerottes from Dolphin Stadium or the Knoxs from the old Kingdome.

Until we take delivery of the 40 Lombardis I am anticipating full access to root for fellow Pittsburghers--no matter what jersey they wear.

I disagree. The franchise needs to bend over backwards for their fans, not other fans. I get pissed off when my team doesn't do enough to keep visiting fans away. They finally get it now. They call up season ticket holders and have them place their friends on the ticket call back list for times when extra tickets are availible.

What you described isn't the same thing. In this case, they were literally refusing to sell tickets to people based on where they were calling from. It sounds like a form of discrimination to me. Anyone who is able to pay for a ticket should be able to buy one if they want to. This is a capitalist society.

It is fine to encourage local fans to buy, but it is not okay to refuse paying customers because they happen to cheer for the other team.

What you described isn't the same thing. In this case, they were literally refusing to sell tickets to people based on where they were calling from. It sounds like a form of discrimination to me.

Sure it is. Discrimination is a fact of life. Not everyone can go to school at CMU.

Anyone who is able to pay for a ticket should be able to buy one if they want to. This is a capitalist society.
And a business can also choose to value its most important customers, this is a capitalistic society.

It is fine to encourage local fans to buy, but it is not okay to refuse paying customers because they happen to cheer for the other team.

I see no problem in that. Again, it is making a better experience for the most important customers. Football is a business.

Keep in mind there is a difference between discrimination and "illegal discrimination". Not letting in non-paying customers vs ones that pay is simple discrimination and is expected. Businesses are free to limit offers and sales to local markets as this discrimination is fine as well. Discrimination on its own is not bad.

Now if they limited sales based on sex, age, race, handicapped status, or religion practiced, then that would be illegal discrimination which is of course against our laws.

I never claimed it was illegal, but I do not think it is right. Just because they can refuse to sell to Steelers fans doesn't mean it isn't a crappy thing to do. And I would say that no matter what teams or markets were involved.

Encourage your local fans to buy tickets and fill the stands, sure. But to actually tell ticket sellers to refuse anyone calling from the other team's city? I think that is playing dirty. Everyone has a right to see the game if they have the money to buy a ticket and tickets are available.

The Broncos, by the way, didn't do this. And they still had plenty of orange in their stands.

Archived