Urban Housing Renewal

PBJ

I think we may have talked about this some time ago, but i'll bring it up again.

I was driving down Madison last night and noticed even MORE new homes between Hall and Franklin. Are there special programs available for building in these types of areas? Areas that have been slightly run down over the years? The homes look beautiful, and appear to be multi-family. Are these just built by individuals looking for rental properties? If they are individual single families built to sell, how do thier values compare to the houses that need help around them?

We talk a LOT about doing things in the center core of the city, but not much about the work going on elsewhere. I'm sure there's renewal projects elsewhere (I know the Madison to Eastern/Hall to Franklin area is one of them). I was just curious how this all works, and who's doing them. I know we have some people involved in the residential world around here :whistling:

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we may have talked about this some time ago, but i'll bring it up again.

I was driving down Madison last night and noticed even MORE new homes between Hall and Franklin. Are there special programs available for building in these types of areas? Areas that have been slightly run down over the years? The homes look beautiful, and appear to be multi-family. Are these just built by individuals looking for rental properties? If they are individual single families built to sell, how do thier values compare to the houses that need help around them?

I'm not sure, PBJ, but this may be the work of the Inner City Christian Federation - ICCF -

www.iccf.org/newsletters/pdf/Blueprints%2010-05.pdf is their Fall 2005 newsletter

www.iccf.org/ for their website.

Or, they may be Habitat for Humanity homes - www.habitatkent.org/

The work on Madison Ave between Hall and Franklin is being done by ICCF, Lighthouse Communities, and Habitat. Here is the breakdown:

Habitat has built two homes

ICCF has re-habbed the two very large rental units on near the corner of Madison and Delaware (and a nice job I may add). Not recently, but over the past several years ICCF has done a quite few more houses in this strip.

Lighthouse has rehabbed my home and the two commercial shops at 1153, is rehabbing the home next to mine at 1149 Madison (the pink painted lady), is working on or will be working on 6 multi-family rentals through our lead hazard remediation program (you will see yellow lead tape around these projects when they are under construction), and will be soon starting renovations at 940 Madison (we just closed on this one)

A private builder built the new home across from Madison Middle School

This Spring GRPS will be breaking ground on a new $12,000,000 middle school off the corner of Madison and Franklin.

We are in discussion on a few more projects along this district. I could tell you about them but would have to kill you. :ph34r:

All in all this is a VERY HOT strip right now. If you are looking for a home with great architectural potential for a good value now is the time to buy. :thumbsup:

Do I get some kind of kick-back for mentioning your name? :D

The work on Madison Ave between Hall and Franklin is being done by ICCF, Lighthouse Communities, and Habitat. Here is the breakdown:

Habitat has built two homes

ICCF has re-habbed the two very large rental units on near the corner of Madison and Delaware (and a nice job I may add). Not recently, but over the past several years ICCF has done a quite few more houses in this strip.

Lighthouse has rehabbed my home and the two commercial shops at 1153, is rehabbing the home next to mine at 1149 Madison (the pink painted lady), is working on or will be working on 6 multi-family rentals through our lead hazard remediation program (you will see yellow lead tape around these projects when they are under construction), and will be soon starting renovations at 940 Madison (we just closed on this one)

A private builder built the new home across from Madison Middle School

This Spring GRPS will be breaking ground on a new $12,000,000 middle school off the corner of Madison and Franklin.

We are in discussion on a few more projects along this district. I could tell you about them but would have to kill you. :ph34r:

All in all this is a VERY HOT strip right now. If you are looking for a home with great architectural potential for a good value now is the time to buy. :thumbsup:

Archived