I-185/Southern Connector

GSP Tiger

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And yet they still pull people over..... :rolleyes::ph34r:

Yep, but let you go if you have reserved your rights at UCC 1-308(revised 1-207), I have this code without prejudice afixed to my license. Got stopped last night at 1:30am on 385 going 75 in 55 zone according to the officer. He asked me how I was doing, I responded "fine until you stopped me." He laughed. Asked me for license and registration and I handed it to him. Ran back to his cruiser and came back in five minutes. This is what he said "have a nice night sir". Handed me my stuff back and I left and quickly got back to my previous speed. He took the Butler Rd. exit and that was it. Didn't tell me to slow down, didn't write me a warning, nothing! This has happened to me twice after using this code. Sorry to get off topic. Plenty on this in the law library and on the net. Learning both sides of law is beneficial! :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Given the failure of the Southern Connector, I wouldn't expect to see that happen. It wouldn't really serve a purpose either.

That's true. Maybe in 10-20 years, the population will be enough to warrant a northern connector. You also have to remember that the southern connector is still fairly new and it is just starting to develop. It hasn't failed. It just needs time to develop. All of the new large residential developments are locating near it.

Development hasn't occured at the rate they expected by any stretch. As we've discussed before on UP, the road doesn't really provide any substantial time savings for the price of driving it. It doesn't bode well for a northern connector. Besides, the concept of a "perimeter" road has proven to be counter productive. I can't see any purpose for a northern connector other than that.

Development hasn't occured at the rate they expected by any stretch. As we've discussed before on UP, the road doesn't really provide any substantial time savings for the price of driving it. It doesn't bode well for a northern connector. Besides, the concept of a "perimeter" road has proven to be counter productive. I can't see any purpose for a northern connector other than that.

Actually, you're kind of right. A person with the Greenville News timed how long it took to get from I-85/I-185 interchange to the I-385/I-185 interchange taking I-85 and I-385 then timed how long it took getting from the same place to the other taking the southern connector. It was quicker taking the first route than I-185.

I am not too sure that Gville would ever get a northern loop. For one thing, they usually connect the four arms of two intersecting interstates, and gville is missing it's northern arm. Without an interstate running north from Gville, I don't see there being any purpose. If I-85 ever got so crowded so as to need a bypass highway, it would cost far more (and promote more sprawl) to build a new north bypass loop, than to just widen 85 further. ( Hwy 11 probably serves that purpose already for those wanting to drive it anyway)

Actually, you're kind of right. A person with the Greenville News timed how long it took to get from I-85/I-185 interchange to the I-385/I-185 interchange taking I-85 and I-385 then timed how long it took getting from the same place to the other taking the southern connector. It was quicker taking the first route than I-185.

This is precisely why it isn't used. They built it with too much arc. If it were straighter, and connected farther down 385, anf farther down 85, it would be worth while. But they curved it in anticipation of a loop, but they curved it way too much and shot themselves in the proverbial foot.

Spartan and DL, you have to remember that when this all eventually develops people that live and work right off the southern connector will want a quicker way to get places. One of its purposes, which is false was to get people from I-85 to I-385 quicker, but the other purpose is to get this part of the county developed more and that is finally starting to happen.

So what is your point gman? That we should build a northern arc with the hope that it will develop some day in the future? I'm stating my opinion based on observations of the current situation as I understand it. The Southern Connector bonds are essentially junkbonds at this point. They have not had the level of sucess that they wanted by this point in terms of development and actual usage. Nobody wanted in the first place, but they did it anyway. A they rate its going, the SC tax payers are going to have to pick up the tab for this mistake. It would be politically impossible to do that. I see no point in investing millions of dollars the the precedent for success is simply not there.

I can't find any good argument for a northern connector, which was your original question.

My point is that in 20 years, Greenville will need a northern loop to connect to the southern connector to make a beltway system like I-485 in Charlotte or I-285 in Atlanta. Also, who cares if they built the southern connector anyways if it's being paid for using a toll booth and not our tax dollars? I sure don't. I'm personally glad they built it. :scared:

What I'm puzzeled about is that the intent for the Southern Connector was to provide frontage for Industrial Sites? My experience has been that roads like this usually do better when communities are developed nearby (housing, retail centers, schools, etc.).

The Southern Connector reminds me of what the 417 Greenway in Northeastern Orange County and Eastern Seminole County in Orlando used to be like. There was a road that nobody ever used. Now, years later, there are thousands and thousands of new homes and they've had to expand the toll plazas a few times to keep up with the growth.

^^^This is exactly what i'm talking about. 417 Greenway in Orlando used to be a ghost town, but now it is like I-85 here. Give I-185 10 years and then you doubters will change your tune.

I'm not sure about a "northern connector" although I may have used the term at one time. I do think a more "western connector" connecting the southern connection to the Berea/Travelers Rest area is in the works that would basically connect the southern connector to 153 across 123 to 183 to 25 near the spot where White Horse Rd. turns and White Horse Rd. ext. splits off etc.

As far as the Southern Connector I have often taken the "poor man's southern connector" i.e. Highway 86 --> West Georgia Rd. because I was short on change. No seriously I was already around the Piedmont area and need to get to my in-laws house in Ft. Inn.

I'll also avoid 385 from Haywood to downtown by taking Woods Lake/Lowndes Hill Road, etc.

Archived