I-185/Southern Connector

GSP Tiger

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's funny that people would complain about an Upstate road that is in place ahead of its need 10 years down the road. What does planning for the future mean to you? Obviously not much.

1. ad hominem assertions aren't necessary

2. why not use the edit feature to add to a post rather than have multiple posts from yourself following after each other

3. People complain about an Upstate road because it is in a bad location, and was a bad investment from the start, and too expensive

^^^How is it in a bad location? I guess Griffin Park, Acadia, that new 800-acre mixed-use development just announced, and others aren't developments. :whistling:

You might want to read the rest of this thread to answer your question.

It's in a bad location because it does not save time between I-185 and I-385.

No housing development is being built because of its proximity to the Southern Connector. Why would someone who would move to Griffin Park take the Southern Connector? To get to Woodmont faster? A quicker route to Highway 25? That makes no sense.

You might want to read the rest of this thread to answer your question.

It's in a bad location because it does not save time between I-185 and I-385.

No housing development is being built because of its proximity to the Southern Connector. Why would someone who would move to Griffin Park take the Southern Connector? To get to Woodmont faster? A quicker route to Highway 25? That makes no sense.

What if people that live in Griffin Park want to get to Atlanta? I think taking Fork Shoals Road to I-185 then to I-85 would be quicker than taking West Georgia Rd. to I-385 then to I-85. Also, you have no proof that these mixed-use developments being built have nothing to do with the southern connector's presence.

And you have no proof that they do, gman. It sounds to me like you want a loop road just so Greenville can look like a larger city on a map.

I said Greenville will need a northern loop in 10-20 years, not now. It's true I don't have proof that they built these mixed-use developments here because of the southern connector, but it is still nice to have a interstate where the people that are moving to developments like Griffin Park can get to places like Atlanta quicker than they would otherwise.

I said Greenville will need a northern loop in 10-20 years, not now. It's true I don't have proof that they built these mixed-use developments here because of the southern connector, but it is still nice to have a interstate where the people that are moving to developments like Griffin Park can get to places like Atlanta quicker than they would otherwise.

When you're driving 2 hours + to Atlanta, an extra 5 minutes doesn't make that much difference, if the Southern Connector saved that much time, which I doubt it does.

The fastest development in Greenville is tending to be south and east. I think that if any sort of loop interstate is ever put in, it would go around Greenville and Spartanburg (think 20/820 in DFW).

Ive driven the connector a few times... it takes the same amount of time at going up to 385, if not a minute or two faster, but the problem is you have to pay $2 to get through it... So if your time is worth $2 a minute, then you should do it.

It all really depends on where you live and where you're going to figure out whether two dollars is worth paying or not. I drive on the southern connector all the time, seeing how I live in Powdersville and every year it looks like more and more people use it.

More people have beeing using, no question. The problem is that its not living up to its original expectations, thus making the feasability of any extension or duplication elsewhere impractical, and undesirable for the forseable future. I'm done with this debate, as you seem to have no real arguement for your case.

Invest in public transit and better growth now and you can solve future transportation problems much more easily.

There is no way the Southern Connector is slower if you are going from Columbia to Powdersville and points South. I was going to visit someone in Easley once who lives about 10 minutes off of I-85. Out of curiosity, I timed it to see how long it took me from the time I got on the Connector to their house - and it took 22 minutes. That would be impossible if I had not taken exit 30-something to get onto the Connector, and instead gone a few more miles on I-385 and then onto I-85 south. I know that they have supposedly done studies to compare the two routes, but the Connector sure feels faster to me.

I do agree that the Connector is about 10 years ahead of its time, but we are gradually starting to see it pay dividends. It will allow some growth to occur out that way that would not happen otherwise. And as others have said, people will pay the toll out of convenience...and someone living or working along the Connector can certainly justify it.

^^^Finally somebody agrees with me. Once all of these houses get built out this way in 10-20 years, people will use the connector for convenience like how they use I-385. I'd rather have it be built 10 years early than 10 years late. I live in Powdersville and know exactly what you're talking about Greenville. Anytime I go to Columbia or the beach, I use the southern connector. You don't have to worry about tractor trailers or traffic and can just cruise along at your own pleasure. It's actually kind of nice.

Wow, what a debate.

While the Southern Connector may be ahead of it's time, I don't think it can be called a failure. Failure indicates something that did not work out, that ended without success. The Southern Connector is just a few short years into it's long life, so success is still within it's future reach. I'm glad for once that a city in SC built a road with future growth in mind, instead of waiting until after the fact. Don't know for certain, but I would say the Southern Connector had an impact on the decision of Cytec to expand with it's 150 million expansion (it's right at the connector). Griffin Park, Acadia, River Reserve, the new TND btoy posted about, etc, etc......all may not have happened, or not sold as quickly without the Southern Connector.

SC has two toll road.....the Southern Connector in GVL and the Cross Island in Hilton Head. Both started below expectaion on traffic counts. Does that mean they are failures or merely the initial traffic projections were not accurate?

10 years from now, lets see if anyone calls the Southern Connector a failure.

Kudos for future planning! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I live pretty much in the void between 185 and 385 and have taken both roads at the same time of day and the Southern Connector was the quickest route by far. I have left for work a little late before, providing myself only about 20 minutes to get from Dunean to Fountain Inn for work. Using the Southern Connector I got there with about 5 minutes to spare. Having to go the same distance to get onto 385 I have tried that, & I was WAY late for work. Now going trying to bypass 85 is a different story altogether it does take more time who would think it dont. The shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line, not an arched one. I don't belive it was ever meant to cut time by bypassing 85, rather cut time off from the west side of Greenville to the Golden Strip, which it has done.

What I would really like to see is a northern connector built and have it connect to the southern connector. Why don't they just build it right now and stick a toll booth on it to pay for it like they did with the southern connector?

I do not see a need for a northern connector as Locust Hill Road (SC 290) from Greer to US 25 above Travelers Rest being widened in five years. I would not oppose Greer getting a northern arc for Landrum and I-26 bound traffic. Utilize the road you currently have.

I'm not sure about a "northern connector" although I may have used the term at one time. I do think a more "western connector" connecting the southern connection to the Berea/Travelers Rest area is in the works that would basically connect the southern connector to 153 across 123 to 183 to 25 near the spot where White Horse Rd. turns and White Horse Rd. ext. splits off etc.

I support the idea of the western connector. Its routing would likely stay in Greenville County between US 25 and the Saluda River. Its southern terminus would be at I-185 between I-85 and US-25. Exits would be at Anderson Road (SC 183), Easley Bridge Road (US 123), Old Easley Hghway (SC 124), Farr's Bridge Road (SC 183). Its debatable to route the road north of Travelers Rest to meet up with US 25 near SC 290, but US 25 will be its northern terminus.

Gman, I actually agree with you that over the next 10-20 years, the usefulnes of the southern connector will become apparent. Development will eventually move over that direction anyway as the eastside is filling up (of course it is already moving that way) and the road (being inplace first) will help facilitate that growth, hopefully in a more organized mannar. I disagreed with your stance that a northern arc is currently neccesary, however. I also would like to be able to see a greenville loop on a map; but I would also like to see bold letters, and a larger yellow shaded area, but we will have to wait for all of that. The northern arc will eventually be needed, but probably not for at least a couple more decades. Who know, by then, perhaps an intersate from Gville to Chattanooga and beyond may be in the works.

^^^I never said a northern corridor was needed currently except for maybe in the first post in this recent debate. I have changed my opinion and am now saying in 10-20 years, a northern connector might be needed. A western corridor will be needed first. I say build them when they're needed and stick a toll booth on them.

Really? Hmm, allow me to quote you. :D

What I would really like to see is a northern connector built and have it connect to the southern connector. Why don't they just build it right now and stick a toll booth on it to pay for it like they did with the southern connector?

This is a perfect illustration of how poorly it was planned out. (click on site map and connector map) It should have arched in the opposite direction, with the two ends pointing down the other way. The middle part would have still opened up the same portion of land, but it would have actually cut off some distance and time to boot.

^^^It's not your or my decision when or if a northern connector gets built here. The SCDOT could starting building one anytime and stick toll booths on it to pay for it. There is nothing wrong with that seeing how it would not be at the expense of the tax payers. I could care less if they build one today or in 20 years seeing how I don't live in that part of the county.

I was aiming that at your previous post, but I see you changed it on me. :lol:

And of course the DOT will decide when or if to build. I just doubt they would until they see a need, and I doubt they could find any investors willing to make it a toll unless they were pretty certain people would pay it in a timely mannar, especially after the problems seen with the current one. Now gman, you have to see my point, right?

Archived