Macatawa/Custer Building

Yankee Fan

I got it from a source this morning that Macatawa is planning to build a 10-15 floor building at the old Custer site. My understanding is that the delay in announcing and/breaking ground is because they are waiting on the Art museum constructionto get completed. Something about the same construction crews that are doing the museum would be doing their building, etc. etc. Has anyone heard anything lately that can validate this?

They also told me that their goal is to have a building that is taller than the neighboring Huntington bank building so that there names appears above Huntington's in the skyline. Maybe that's what we need: a little "can you top that" competition to get some height in the central city area.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They also told me that their goal is to have a building that is taller than the neighboring Huntington bank building so that there names appears above Huntington's in the skyline. Maybe that's what we need: a little "can you top that" competition to get some height in the central city area.

So true.

You can check the WEBCAM (not all at once :P ). They are progressing. The website says the campaign is now at 85%. Like Andy said, there are some large pieces of wrapped rebar sticking up in the air presumably for columns.

Whaddayaknow, they've backfilled it now too. I guess I can't ignore it now when I go by... dbrok, any chance you can walk over to that area and snap some photos :whistling:

I'm surprised they're waiting for the Art Museum to be finished so as to use the same construction company (Rockford-Pepper). Seems like R-P could handle that in addition to the Museum and the JW Marriott. Maybe it's more of a logistical situation with Louis being half-closed now? Doesn't make sense to me :huh:

its nice that they are thinking of building a 10-15 floor building there, but I'm a little disappointed because I really want GR to get a 400+ footer and there are only a few locations that would make one fit really well into the skyline and that lot is one of them now that the art museum is taken. I also thought that macatawa bank would be a likly candidate to build one over 400 ft. I mean how is there not one over 400 allready ft.wayne, dayton, mobile, little rock, lexington, toledo, ect. all have them

I can't see either the Macatawa Building or this new 50 Monroe deal being any higher than 15 stories. Those lots are fairly tight, and the higher you go, the bigger base you need. Look for 400'ers near the Fifth Third lot, Lyon&Ottawa, or maybe Vandenberg Center (I don't know anything, I'm just saying they're wide enough).

Archived