Macatawa/Custer Building

Yankee Fan

Well it's not really large enough to build any skyscraper of any sort on as far as I can tell, so even the 'possibilities' aren't greater than other options in the area.

There are tall buildings in other cities with similar footprints. Would it be wise to build tall on this lot? Probably not, but it is feasible.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i wasnt aware of pervious deals in place in that region of the city. but it is a good lot pretty much dead centre of the city. imagine the possibilities.

There's nothing to imagine at the current price other than a big vacant hole. Just sayin.

There's nothing to imagine at the current price other than a big vacant hole. Just sayin.

Not that a big vacant hole would not add some "depth" in the area...

I was talking with some friends at Festival about how cool it would be if they built a new Children's Museum on that lot across the street from the Art Museum. Not that the current location is bad or anything, because it really is not in a bad spot. But this would be an excellent location for a two or three story building that took the Children's Museum to the next level. This would be a great place to do it.

I bet the $5 million is nothing more than an accounting thing. Macatawa is in trouble, so why not say you have $5 million in "assets" tied up in a property. You wonder if this is more of an accounting item than a real estate deal?

Joe

Could be. I don't really see this corner being as valuable as say, the BK site on Michigan St. As towermart mentioned, anyone looking at this is probably figuring in demolition of the Custer Bldg in their equation. I can't imagine you could charge enough rent in a building that size to ever make up the purchase price, or at least the rents would be too high for anyone to pay.

I guess until the parcel is actually listed, it's just speculation. BTW, the Tall House lot is worth about $1.1 Million for about 1/2 an acre (based on SEV).

• 1 year later...

Yup,

It was the Davenport Building. Would have been interesting had they developed it to 7-8 stories (can't remember the original size) like they had envisioned. Likely would have changed the face of Division. Too bad World War II started and stalled the plans. ;)

Joe

Would've been interesting if Davenport had moved into the old JA Building. Didn't that used to be Davenport way back in the day?

Good news for that empty building, but I still feel a healthy dose of disdain for Davenport basically take a major donors money to build up the downtown campus, and then move into a cornfield.

Every time I drive past the new campus on the South Beltline, I think about how terribly boring it must be for the students living in the dorms. There is absolutely nothing within walking distance...

Joe

Finally some news. Davenport will be taking this building over:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/11/davenport_university_plans_to.html

I wonder if the asking price was still $5 million?

Archived