Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Andrea

Stewart Avenue revitalization

Stewart Avenues's sleaze, crime yield to hope

Bryant, the woman who has lived in the area since her teen years, has the same sense of improved police response and better communication with residents.

"People are willing to pick up the phone and know the police will come. That wasn't always the case," said Bryant, a fund-raising consultant with the Carter Center.

Reasonable real estate prices and good access to mass transit are attracting new residents.

Ryan Gravel, a city planner, said he moved into the Metropolitan Parkway area five years ago.

"The houses are affordable, the neighborhood has sidewalks, it's near a MARTA station, and there is an interesting, diverse range of people," said Gravel.

"Are we there yet? No. Are we 100 percent clean? No. But the area is gentrifying," said Shepherd, the councilwoman.

I really hope the momentum continues to build. I can remember when Stewart Avenue was a bustling middle class thoroughfare. It still has lots of great assets.

My feeling is that if Atlanta is going to make it as a sustainable, thriving, exciting city it simply cannot afford to ignore the areas that deteriorated in the latter half of the last century.

Stewart Avenues's sleaze, crime yield to hope

I really hope the momentum continues to build. I can remember when Stewart Avenue was a bustling middle class thoroughfare. It still has lots of great assets.

My feeling is that if Atlanta is going to make it as a sustainable, thriving, exciting city it simply cannot afford to ignore the areas that deteriorated in the latter half of the last century.

You beat me to posting this! I saw it this morning and wanted to post it, but I didn't have time.

I'm excited about this myself. It's always good to hear a little good news about gentrification and development in Southwest Atlanta. It really needs the development. Perhaps it will improve the area's reputation.

You beat me to posting this! I saw it this morning and wanted to post it, but I didn't have time.

I'm excited about this myself. It's always good to hear a little good news about gentrification and development in Southwest Atlanta. It really needs the development. Perhaps it will improve the area's reputation.

Sorry, IC, I wasn't trying to beat you to the punch. There's still a way to go down there and I think there will be plenty of additional articles.

However, there are definitely some good things going on. Several weeks ago I was rambing around in Capitol View and stumbled across the grand opening of a new coffee shop. There was music and a bunch of neighbors were out, and the vibe was just very upbeat. So many of the beautiful old neighborhoods along Metropolitan Parkway -- Adair Park, Sylvan Hills, Capitol View -- are looking really nice.

The Beltline will swing right through the heart of that area and I can easily see it coming back strong in a short period of time. A good friend of mine moved to Sylvan Hills a few years ago and her house would fit right in if it were plopped down in the middle of VA-Highland.

Sorry, IC, I wasn't trying to beat you to the punch. There's still a way to go down there and I think there will be plenty of additional articles.

Nothing to worry about, Andrea! :) Besides I figured someone would post it in the time that I was gone.

However, there are definitely some good things going on. Several weeks ago I was rambing around in Capitol View and stumbled across the grand opening of a new coffee shop. There was music and a bunch of neighbors were out, and the vibe was just very upbeat. So many of the beautiful old neighborhoods along Metropolitan Parkway -- Adair Park, Sylvan Hills, Capitol View -- are looking really nice.

The Beltline will swing right through the heart of that area and I can easily see it coming back strong in a short period of time. A good friend of mine moved to Sylvan Hills a few years ago and her house would fit right in if it were plopped down in the middle of VA-Highland.

Yeah, I've been through there before. There's certainly a lot of work that can be done there. I had forgotten that the Beltline would come through there. That would probably help whatever development is happening down there at the time out a lot (the Beltline is still years off) in revitalizing the area.

Metro Pkwy is still far away from being considered 'gentrified', though Adair Park I believe now has their own local coffee shop. But I suppose I am a skeptic turned believer, no murders in 2 years is remarkable, compared to the old Stewart Ave. Still a scary place though, coming from someone living near Memorial Dr...

... though Adair Park I believe now has their own local coffee shop.

I wonder if that's the same place I mentioned stumbling across? They called it Capitol Coffee but I can't really tell those two neighborhoods apart anyway. It's on Allene, right there at the railroad tracks.

The elementary school near the corner of Dill and Metro is a true architectural gem. I think it is called Capitol View. This would be great for a condo conversion in the future.