What would you like to see happen on UA/Statler site?

Jin Kim

:rofl: Im just happy that 20 minutes and 6 markers revived this thread.

I was sort of going for a Time Warner building effect. I really like the way that building works with Columbus Circle in New York. Plus Detroit could use a very modern glassy building. And NO, Kennedy block does not count.

Zissou, Did you use a paricular vintage postcard in making your "rendering?" It has almost the exact same perspective.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was interested because I was looking for a picture to base my sketch off of and came across the postcard that looked very similar.

Here's one of my ideas.

UAStatlerSitecopy.jpg

Portions of both building are jestures to the original structures on those sites. The brick base on the Tuller building is more obvious, but both buildings have horizontal cornice details that are in similar heights to those on the Statler and Tuller. Also, the Statler building has a modernized version of the hotel's original base.

(I think that I need to make the underside of the trees darker next time-and scan it straghter)

Very nice! Although, don't you think the pyramindal top on that one building might make it seem more squat? I feel some added floors might help.

I see what you mean. The building somehow unintentionally ended up looking like a glass version of one of my favorites in Chicago. Must be something unconscious.

With the top, I was trying to make the building something a little more monumental than the average modern glass box, but maybe the building doesn't need a pyramid. I might re-post it with changes later.

GCP was originally intended to hold the state capitol in the middle. (It was also supposed to be fully round.) It was too far from the rest of the city, so the capitol was built at capitol park instead.

GCP eventually became a high-class residential area.

Only afterwards did it become a high rise area.

My opinion:

Build tall only if it is thin and set back.

You have to remember that the Statler and Tuller sites are on the South and Southwest sides of the park. If it is tall, you take away all the sun from the park from noon on. I think new buildings should be massed much like the old hotels where. Don't forget the vacant lot on the east of GCP, that should get some love too.

I think the lot on the east side of GCP should stay at a more human scale. It would fit the Opera House and DAC area much better. That would be a great location for some restaurants and lofts though. A nice 5 story building that wouldnt destroy the views from CoPa.

Since that area is so close to the theaters and stadiums, and by a park, I think hotel and retail would go best there. Some residental could go there too.

007.jpg

I think for the entire lot (+ the area to the south of it), there should be a 4 story base (I think studies have shown that people generaly don't go much higher when shopping), following the design of the Hudons building, except the thicker columns continue to be stone (instead of brick) to the top, to make it more verticle, since I'm sure having such short, wide building with horizontal features would make it look too short wide and horizontal :). Then at the end by the park I'd have a white 20 story hotel/apartment tower. The park seems to have alot of white buildings, and the area has alot of L shaped buildings, so I think that would be good.

There would be a people mover stop at the south end, at floor 3 or 3.5 (or wherever the people mover lines up) with some open stairs going up to the roof, and down into the mall. The large roof area is where all the food is, with some other attractions (maybe some carnival games, and a kiddie ride or two). Part of the novelty is watching the people mover go by as you eat. There would also be landscaping up there, making it park-like. The fact that it's a mall will draw mall people from the suburbs when they come by, and the fact that the roof is private and exclusive might make people have a distinction between that the rest of downtown "oh, you're going to Detroit? Won't you be shot?" "I'm going to the *exlusive single word name*" "oh! have a good time, bring back something for me, dear" making it 'ok' to be going there. The hotel could prosper with it's associtation with the mall. Underneath the 4 story mall part is where all the parking would go. The roof could also have some holes in the roof where poles can go to set up a roof or tent for the bad weather.

The hotel tower could go on the other side of the building too, so the people could watch over the park while they eat.

Whatever goes there, I think there should be a focus on shopping and food, since all of the people going to a game or concert all wait around that area. Plus, the people mover stopping directly infront of a bunch of resturaunts would make it a good spot for normal business people to stop and eat at.

So that's what I think about it. I'm not sure what would go in the other sites though.

• 1 month later...

Ive asked people who work at Compuware and GM what they think about downtown and I always get good feedback. Once they move and the employees adjust they will love it. Having great restaurants and world class parks within walking distance sure beats endless parking lots and hopping in the car to go out for lunch. Hopefully Quicken will realize this.

Archived