Highway 385 toll

Bears

Highway 385 (future I-269) is a 54 mile beltway under construction in eastern Shelby and part of extreme west Fayette County. The area in the loop is already pretty sprawled and Smart City Memphis thinks the highway will only hurt the county. It will be completed in 2008 and already has almost has 240,000 cars a day. Do you think a turning 385 into a toll will help the county get out of debt?

I think that would be the states call but whoever in the local govt who supports it might take some serious heat. What to you guys think?

Heres a link to the post http://smartcitymemphis.blogspot.com/2006/...e-lost-war.html

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Highway 385 (future I-269) is a 54 mile beltway under construction in eastern Shelby and part of extreme west Fayette County. The area in the loop is already pretty sprawled and Smart City Memphis thinks the highway will only hurt the county. It will be completed in 2008 and already has almost has 240,000 cars a day. Do you think a turning 385 into a toll will help the county get out of debt?

I think that would be the states call but whoever in the local govt who supports it might take some serious heat. What to you guys think?

Heres a link to the post http://smartcitymemphis.blogspot.com/2006/...e-lost-war.html

I've always been a fan of a slight toll on a road in Shelby County. 385 would be a good one to do it with...

I'm for a toll, but not one that's gonna tax loyal citizens of the county such as myself. I think a toll on people that work in the city but live in DeSoto would be a better idea.

I'm for a toll, but not one that's gonna tax loyal citizens of the county such as myself. I think a toll on people that work in the city but live in DeSoto would be a better idea.

That would be alot of "border crossings" unless they did it only on I-55. But then people will probaby just go to Desoto on Millbranch or Airways to avoid it. What would be an acceptable cost for a toll road in Shelby County? $0.25 per axle?

I am not completely certain, but I think that it would take a change to the Tennessee state constitutionto have toll roads.

I have always been in favor of extending I-155 East to I-40 near Jackson and maybe even continueing it down to the Mississippi State line. Make it a toll road. It would help open up some of the areas of rural West Tennessee to more commercial expansion. It also creates a second side to a beltway around Jackson. A beltway all the way around Jackson might help to even out some of it's growth. Everything seems to be to the North along I-40.

I have also always been in favor of creating a toll road from Chattanooga north to Cookville. This would bisect I-40 between Nashville and Knoxville and open more of the Cumberland Plateau to commercial build-up.

One way to prevent future suburban sprawl would be to put a tolls on 385 and I-55 on all cars registered in Mississippi,and then use the proceeds to fund improvement to mass transit in Memphis. I don't know if such an approach would be very popular, but I bet it would give really good results over time for the city.

I am not completely certain, but I think that it would take a change to the Tennessee state constitutionto have toll roads.

I have always been in favor of extending I-155 East to I-40 near Jackson and maybe even continueing it down to the Mississippi State line. Make it a toll road. It would help open up some of the areas of rural West Tennessee to more commercial expansion. It also creates a second side to a beltway around Jackson. A beltway all the way around Jackson might help to even out some of it's growth. Everything seems to be to the North along I-40.

I have also always been in favor of creating a toll road from Chattanooga north to Cookville. This would bisect I-40 between Nashville and Knoxville and open more of the Cumberland Plateau to commercial build-up.

US 412 serves that role and is closed access I'm pretty sure between Dyersburg and Jackson. I suppose that could get a I-255 designation or something. I-69 will open up parts of West Tennessee in the coming years esp. in the NW region, and have one spur, TN 22 from Union City to Martin (or maybe out to Dresden) which I guess might be called I-169.

I wish US 641 was closed access from the Purchase Parkway (future I-69) to I-40, as that would help that region of West Tennessee and far West KY alot.

Your idea for opening up the Cumberland plateau sounds good too.

I'm not sure what would be needed to be done to implement toll roads, but I know Commisioner Nicely and key political figures have talked about them and/or the potential need for them in the future. Example given from the Knoxville News Sentinel:

http://blogs.knoxnews.com/knx/silence/arch...roads_for.shtml

Archived