Goler Heights

triadguy37

The Heights, Winston Salem's newest community downtown had its official kickoff tonight. The Gallery, a collection of Urban Lofts which is being revitialized by The Landex Corporation held a viewing tonight for its Charter members or those who had registered at their website. The Gallery is a 6 story building origianlly the Brown and Williamson tobacco factory. It is located on 6th street in the north east part of downtown just below Trade Street. It is being converted into 70 high end lofts. Starting prices are around $163,000 to $304,000. Should be completed within 18 months depending on how fast they sell. There is no model currently, but the floor plans are on their updated website at www.thegalleryliving.com.

Not only are they revitilizing the Brown and Williamson building, but they have plans for the whole area, with new townhomes, an arts park, retail, shopping, a senior citizens home. Their goal is for this to be a high end area in downtown Winston Salem.

Again check out their new website at www.thegalleryliving.com

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this part of the Goler Development? Those pics are awesome and I hope this get's off the ground! Where was this meeting held?

Yes, this is part of the Goler Development. Originally from my understanding this area was going to be a low income area with affordable housing, but things have changed. The kick off was held at the acutal building on the 3rd floor. It was basically a big empty warehouse type room with maple hardwood floors. They had floor plans set-up so people could get an idea on how the space was going to be developed.

Looks nice and very urban contemporary. If the kitchen and loft shots are accurately reproduced, then these condos will go fast for they look very nice.

I went through the floorplans and they look decently sized. Kind of partial to the Douglas and Chagall plans myself.

Yes, this is part of the Goler Development. Originally from my understanding this area was going to be a low income area with affordable housing, but things have changed. The kick off was held at the acutal building on the 3rd floor. It was basically a big empty wharehouse type room with maple hardwood floors. They had floor plans set-up so people could get an idea on how the space was going to be developed.

Were alot of people there? Like were they intererested? I heard no mention of this on the news, in the paper, or anything. Those are really beautiful, and I hope it happens!

Yes, this is part of the Goler Development. Originally from my understanding this area was going to be a low income area with affordable housing, but things have changed. The kick off was held at the acutal building on the 3rd floor. It was basically a big empty wharehouse type room with maple hardwood floors. They had floor plans set-up so people could get an idea on how the space was going to be developed.

Was this the first offering of the units? If not, how well are they selling? Do you know who the architect is? Also, what real estate brokerage is offering them - I'd be interested in looking the project up on their website? Sorry, for all of the questions - thanks, in advance, for your help.

Were alot of people there? Like were they intererested? I heard no mention of this on the news, in the paper, or anything. Those are really beautiful, and I hope it happens!

Landex Corporation held a showing from 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm on Thrusday, Jan 12. I arrived around 5:00 and there were maybe 30 people there. I think most people were a little dissappointed because they were under the impression they were going to see a model. Of course, I was only there for about 30 minutes, so I am not sure what kind of turn out they had. According to a repesentative from Landex they had about 550 people who had expressed an interest. Well see what happens. Acutally, I really like the floor plans better compared to West End Villiage and Gateway. I think the floor plans at The Gallery offer a little more, plus you get the character of the old building. The only draw back is the area is kind of run down and originally the Goler project was going to be affordable and some low income housing. I think Landex is going to have to change the precepton of the area. Actually, I am very interested in one of these lofts.

Was this the first offering of the units? If not, how well are they selling? Do you know who the architect is? Also, what real estate brokerage is offering them - I'd be interested in looking the project up on their website? Sorry, for all of the questions - thanks, in advance, for your help.

It is my understanding that they are selling the units in the old Brown and Williamson building first, with plans for the whole area later. I am not sure what is the exact time frame for the townhomes, shops, etc., but I did hear someone say that it should be completed within 5 years. The project is being developed by The Landex Corporation.

It is my understanding that they are selling the units in the old Brown and Williamson building first, with plans for the whole area later. I am not sure what is the exact time frame for the townhomes, shops, etc., but I did hear someone say that it should be completed within 5 years. The project is being developed by The Landex Corporation.

I've always like the B&W, RJR and related tobacco factories and warehouses downtown. I looked into buying one of the units at Piedmont Leaf Lofts, but they only had one left (they had pre-sold everything by the time they started demolition) and I ended up deciding against it.

I've always like the B&W, RJR and related tobacco factories and warehouses downtown. I looked into buying one of the units at Piedmont Leaf Lofts, but they only had one left (they had pre-sold everything by the time they started demolition) and I ended up deciding against it.

How much were they going for? I didn't find them to attractive. have any of you seen those new model houses that goler built about a year ago to show what is coming?

How much were they going for? I didn't find them to attractive. have any of you seen those new model houses that goler built about a year ago to show what is coming?

The lofts are selling for 161,000 to 304,000. There is only one model that is 161,000 and the rest of the models begin around 200,000.

Yes those model houses that Goler built look cheap and very low end to me. I think Goler built those houses before they hired Landex. Originally the Goler project was going to provide low income housing, but it's my understanding that the vision has changed. Judith Siegel the president of Landex said "We see this area as being a high end anchor for the city" so they must have something alot better than those house that Goler build, but I am not sure how they will incorporate those house into their new plans. They just look out of place for a high end area.

I think if W-S wants to make the "big city" leap, that is to have the feel of a major urban area, it's going to have to get people who don't have a problem living in an economically diverse area. e.g., In most major cities rich and poor neighborhoods are mixed right in together. In fact, some of the most expensive and fashionable neighborhoods, i.e. NYC's East Village or Greenwich Village used to be run-down areas. Of course it's not easy convincing people to move to an area like this especially in the early days, but once the ball gets rolling the area will become more and more attractive.

I think we need only look at Greensboro's Southside to see that quality projects will bring in people. 5 years ago nobody would have though of Piedmont leaf. They are three blocks from the hood. Everything in the goler area is primed for rehab. All the old apts are vacant(bought by goler) and the B+W building will hopefully set it off.

Went by there tonight and looked at the area and I had to admit it looked a little bit spooky and like I was about to be jumped at any moment but it was neat. The Gallery was all lit up and looked really presentable! Piedmont Leaf Lofts were all dark and I couldn't tell whether they were vacant or everybody goes to bed early. Those 2 sets of homes they built are all dark but the real estate signs are down. In order for this to feal like a real neighborhood we need to get rid of those surface lots. have they proposed a park of somesort up there? That's what we really need!

Went by there tonight and looked at the area and I had to admit it looked a little bit spooky and like I was about to be jumped at any moment but it was neat. The Gallery was all lit up and looked really presentable! Piedmont Leaf Lofts were all dark and I couldn't tell whether they were vacant or everybody goes to bed early. Those 2 sets of homes they built are all dark but the real estate signs are down. In order for this to feal like a real neighborhood we need to get rid of those surface lots. have they proposed a park of somesort up there? That's what we really need!

There is a proposed arts park directly accross from The Gallery. I don't think anyone is living in those 2 sets of new houses. I wonder if Landex has other plans for them now. In order to bulid the kind of neighborhood they are talking about these houses would look out of place. I wonder what they were asking for these homes. They look like low $100,000 homes which would still be pricy for low income families. I am glad Goler hired Landex because I don't think the area would have succeded with this kind of architecture. It takes a really unique architecture to make a area like this work. Look at Greensboro's Southside, the unique architecture is what has lured people to this area. If Southside would have just been traditional townhomes it would not have succeded to this level. Everything is sold here before its even built. I know because I live there. The average price here starts in the low $200,000 to $400,000 and believe me you can't get any closer to the hood than this is. I have lived here for almost 2 years now with no problems.

I think W-S still needs a small, city-block sized park such as Greensboro's new City Center park, NYC's Washington Square or Rittenhouse Square in Philadelphia. It would be nice if they could get something with housing/retail/restaurants right around the edges of it, then in the summer they could get hot dog vendors, etc. in the park. Maybe also a fountain that small children could take a dip in.

I think W-S still needs a small, city-block sized park such as Greensboro's new City Center park, NYC's Washington Square or Rittenhouse Square in Philadelphia. It would be nice if they could get something with housing/retail/restaurants right around the edges of it, then in the summer they could get hot dog vendors, etc. in the park. Maybe also a fountain that small children could take a dip in.

Exactly! That's what i'm talking about. :thumbsup:

Exactly! That's what i'm talking about. :thumbsup:

My wife and I stopped by for the "big event" they had a few nights ago. Glad to see there was a lot of interest, both little parking lots right next to the building were full of people checking it out. It is a great concept, I hope the concept successfully becomes a reality for them. Some of the floor plans were "interesting", but I like the artist theme. If they couldn't have shown us a nice "finished" model, then a thorough computer generated walk through on a big screen would have been a good touch, but the nice lady playing the harp worked out well :D The master plan they have for the whole neighborhood is bold and somewhat of a risk (as to the success), and i applaud them for taking a chance to want to revitalize their neighborhood (The GDC). If the master plan comes through and PTRP coninues to grow northward and these two merge, it will make for a nice historic transformation of the area and the people will come. James Earl Jones can't be wrong can he, "If you build it, they will come" :)

Downtown W-S needs more people who want to take a chance and help make it one of the most successful revitalizations of an urban center in the whole region. (Chances for all aspects of growth: residential, retail, entertainment & sports, green space, research space, etc.) We have a good start, I hope it continues.

Good leaders: Cast the vision... Good people of W-S: Catch the vision... easy, right? :D

My wife and I stopped by for the "big event" they had a few nights ago. Glad to see there was a lot of interest, both little parking lots right next to the building were full of people checking it out. It is a great concept, I hope the concept successfully becomes a reality for them. Some of the floor plans were "interesting", but I like the artist theme. If they couldn't have shown us a nice "finished" model, then a thorough computer generated walk through on a big screen would have been a good touch, but the nice lady playing the harp worked out well :D The master plan they have for the whole neighborhood is bold and somewhat of a risk (as to the success), and i applaud them for taking a chance to want to revitalize their neighborhood (The GDC). If the master plan comes through and PTRP coninues to grow northward and these two merge, it will make for a nice historic transformation of the area and the people will come. James Earl Jones can't be wrong can he, "If you build it, they will come" :)

Downtown W-S needs more people who want to take a chance and help make it one of the most successful revitalizations of an urban center in the whole region. (Chances for all aspects of growth: residential, retail, entertainment & sports, green space, research space, etc.) We have a good start, I hope it continues.

Good leaders: Cast the vision... Good people of W-S: Catch the vision... easy, right? :D

Are you familiar with the Southside development in downtown Greensboro. If it can be revitilized and it has, then there should be no problems with this area.

Archived