population of hampton roads

citychild

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hampton Roads population is now approching 1.8 million!!

Norfolk current population is 246,500

Virginia Beach population is 448,000

Portsmouth is now back in the 100,000's with a population of 102,245

chesapeake is now 218,000

are population sure has grown since 2000

information come from census sources in norfolk, chesapeake, portsmouth,virginia beach

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=12038

Metropolitan definitions: http://www.census.gov/population/es...-city/List1.txt

2004 county/city data: http://www.census.gov/popest/counti...EST2004-01.html

2004's population for cities and counties that make up the hampton roads

Currituck County: 22,067

Gloucester County: 37,262

Isle of Wight County: 32,774

James City County: 55,502

Mathews County: 9,226

Surry County: 6,970

York County: 60,885

Chesapeake city: 214,725

Hampton city: 145,951

Newport News city: 181,913

Norfolk city: 237,835

Poquoson city: 11,700

Portsmouth city: 99,291

Suffolk city: 76,586

Virginia Beach city: 440,098

Williamsburg city: 11,465

2004 metropolitan population: 1,644,250

2000 metropolitan population: 1,576,370

increase of 4.3% or 67,880

information come from census sources in norfolk, chesapeake, portsmouth,virginia beach

Do you have a link for that data?

Hello there citychild. Welcome to the forum. :)

Hello there citychild. Welcome to the forum. :)

thank you vdogg. im 16 years old, my father works with the hampton roads alliance, i been of of this website since i was 14, i got my information from some documents on his desk it said something about our population. i was interested it stated the our metro was acually at 1.723.000 i did kind of exaggerated on the 1.8 million. the estimates of 2003 are exacally what they are estimates, 2006 things have changed. not getting one the person who posted that, but are metro has population has risen since the 2000 census. I cant give a website or something i got the information from because its part of a study those people are doing, about the traffic and the increase in population in state of virginia

thank you vdogg. im 16 years old, my father works with the hampton roads alliance, i been of of this website since i was 14, i got my information from some documents on his desk it said something about our population. i was interested it stated the our metro was acually at 1.723.000 i did kind of exaggerated on the 1.8 million. the estimates of 2003 are exacally what they are estimates, 2006 things have changed. not getting one the person who posted that, but are metro has population has risen since the 2000 census. I cant give a website or something i got the information from because its part of a study those people are doing, about the traffic and the increase in population in state of virginia

Citychild,

Please be careful.

I would hate for you to get your father in trouble for printing his private documents on the internet.

We are glad that you are here and welcome your participation, but I would suggest asking your dad before you leak that information.

Citychild,

Please be careful.

I would hate for you to get your father in trouble for printing his private documents on the internet.

We are glad that you are here and welcome your participation, but I would suggest asking your dad before you leak that information.

Definately some good advice. :thumbsup:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=12038

Metropolitan definitions: http://www.census.gov/population/es...-city/List1.txt

2004 county/city data: http://www.census.gov/popest/counti...EST2004-01.html

2004's population for cities and counties that make up the hampton roads

Currituck County: 22,067

Gloucester County: 37,262

Isle of Wight County: 32,774

James City County: 55,502

Mathews County: 9,226

Surry County: 6,970

York County: 60,885

Chesapeake city: 214,725

Hampton city: 145,951

Newport News city: 181,913

Norfolk city: 237,835

Poquoson city: 11,700

Portsmouth city: 99,291

Suffolk city: 76,586

Virginia Beach city: 440,098

Williamsburg city: 11,465

2004 metropolitan population: 1,644,250

2000 metropolitan population: 1,576,370

increase of 4.3% or 67,880

Someone didn't forget Poquoson! :yahoo: And included Williamsburg... so that'd be 9 cities, although one could drive through 8 without going into a county.

Someone didn't forget Poquoson! :yahoo: And included Williamsburg... so that'd be 9 cities, although one could drive through 8 without going into a county.

Living in Tabb, I'm about a mile or less from Poquoson. All of the counties and cities that make up the Hampton Roads metro are listed so not all the credit belongs to me.

What is your obsession with Poquoson?

Because it's a forgotten city in Hampton Roads. I remember when I first discovered it. I have yet to go there, but I had no idea there was another city. I don't like to ignore places or let the wrong info keep going. I also let people in Richmond know that Church Hill is not the entire east end of the city. It's about the truth.

Because it's a forgotten city in Hampton Roads. I remember when I first discovered it. I have yet to go there, but I had no idea there was another city. I don't like to ignore places or let the wrong info keep going. I also let people in Richmond know that Church Hill is not the entire east end of the city. It's about the truth.

Well... don't bother with Poquoson. I prefer to call it "some gas station with a few diners and a Food Lion half-way between the state line and Richmond". That's pretty much it.

In all the years I lived in Hampton Roads I never once went to Poquoson. Is it a nice town with a downtown or "Main Street?"

Poquoson use to be a small sleepy residential town. They are so small that they share courts and police with york county. There is no real main street in poquoson. Like you would expect to see in most small towns. Poquoson's main street literally consists of three shopping centers across from each other and then the rest is all residential. Poquoson use to be know for the good ole boys (redneck for those who arn't offended by this) however, with shipyard and nasa scientist building homes, that image is slowly being changed. Shacks are giving way to 400,000 to million dollar homes and traffic has become a nightmare, because it is basically only two ways in to poquoson. One would be vicotry blvd., and the other a smaller road that takes you to Nasa Langley. Poquoson is not urban and probably will never be. They are content being a sleep backwoods town that nobody knows of.

Poquoson(sp) has a main drag. There is a McDonalds and a Post Office on it. We used to go over there for lunch sometimes when I used to work at NASA Langley.

In terms of population, I wonder why there is an increase. Is it due to the spending by the gov't on programs like DHS, and expansion of things like JFCOM in Suffolk? Eventually a responsible president will take office and say "Hey, 70% of the worlds debt is us. We need to cut back on Military spending" and cut some of the fat, taking out some of the better paying jobs in HR.

Or is much of this expansion people who saw huge appreciation in bubbly housing markets, and decided to do the right thing and cash out, moving to our cheaper market, picking up a nice McMansion and a few expensive cars?

I work for a small company that moved to Hampton Roads. So far the impression I get is those that have moved here to work for the company aren't that happy with the region. Also, they seem to claim to be unable to find local talent, having to bring almost everyone in from other areas. The truth is, I've referred them locals that would be a good fit for the company, but they do not seem willing to hire much from the local talent pool.

Poquoson(sp) has a main drag. There is a McDonalds and a Post Office on it. We used to go over there for lunch sometimes when I used to work at NASA Langley.

In terms of population, I wonder why there is an increase. Is it due to the spending by the gov't on programs like DHS, and expansion of things like JFCOM in Suffolk? Eventually a responsible president will take office and say "Hey, 70% of the worlds debt is us. We need to cut back on Military spending" and cut some of the fat, taking out some of the better paying jobs in HR.

Or is much of this expansion people who saw huge appreciation in bubbly housing markets, and decided to do the right thing and cash out, moving to our cheaper market, picking up a nice McMansion and a few expensive cars?

I work for a small company that moved to Hampton Roads. So far the impression I get is those that have moved here to work for the company aren't that happy with the region. Also, they seem to claim to be unable to find local talent, having to bring almost everyone in from other areas. The truth is, I've referred them locals that would be a good fit for the company, but they do not seem willing to hire much from the local talent pool.

The growth in HR is actually pretty small. It's probably largely due to births to people who are already here. The Pilot ran an article when the 2000 census figures were released saying that overall population growth was slower than the region's birth rate. That meant the area was not attracting new residents, rather people were leaving, but the number of births made up for it. I don't know if that's the case anymore, but this area isn't seeing nearly the type of growth most southern and western regions are experiencing.

Archived