population of hampton roads

citychild

The growth in HR is actually pretty small. It's probably largely due to births to people who are already here. The Pilot ran an article when the 2000 census figures were released saying that overall population growth was slower than the region's birth rate. That meant the area was not attracting new residents, rather people were leaving, but the number of births made up for it. I don't know if that's the case anymore, but this area isn't seeing nearly the type of growth most southern and western regions are experiencing.

Over the last 5 years the increase of the Hampton Roads metro is likely above the national average. From 1990-2000 it was just below. No, this area is not increasing at the rate of Las Vegas or even Charlotte but it's not stagnant or losing population like the metros of New Orleans, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Milwaukee, and Buffalo. The region's growing at a solid rate and shows a lot of promise for the future.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poquoson(sp) has a main drag. There is a McDonalds and a Post Office on it. We used to go over there for lunch sometimes when I used to work at NASA Langley.

In terms of population, I wonder why there is an increase. Is it due to the spending by the gov't on programs like DHS, and expansion of things like JFCOM in Suffolk? Eventually a responsible president will take office and say "Hey, 70% of the worlds debt is us. We need to cut back on Military spending" and cut some of the fat, taking out some of the better paying jobs in HR.

Or is much of this expansion people who saw huge appreciation in bubbly housing markets, and decided to do the right thing and cash out, moving to our cheaper market, picking up a nice McMansion and a few expensive cars?

I work for a small company that moved to Hampton Roads. So far the impression I get is those that have moved here to work for the company aren't that happy with the region. Also, they seem to claim to be unable to find local talent, having to bring almost everyone in from other areas. The truth is, I've referred them locals that would be a good fit for the company, but they do not seem willing to hire much from the local talent pool.

It sounds like you have a bone to pick with HR. Why do you stay in the area. All your posts are negative and I just wonder why someone would stay somewhere that they dislike

Poquoson(sp) has a main drag. There is a McDonalds and a Post Office on it. We used to go over there for lunch sometimes when I used to work at NASA Langley.

In terms of population, I wonder why there is an increase. Is it due to the spending by the gov't on programs like DHS, and expansion of things like JFCOM in Suffolk? Eventually a responsible president will take office and say "Hey, 70% of the worlds debt is us. We need to cut back on Military spending" and cut some of the fat, taking out some of the better paying jobs in HR.

Or is much of this expansion people who saw huge appreciation in bubbly housing markets, and decided to do the right thing and cash out, moving to our cheaper market, picking up a nice McMansion and a few expensive cars?

I work for a small company that moved to Hampton Roads. So far the impression I get is those that have moved here to work for the company aren't that happy with the region. Also, they seem to claim to be unable to find local talent, having to bring almost everyone in from other areas. The truth is, I've referred them locals that would be a good fit for the company, but they do not seem willing to hire much from the local talent pool.

The growth in poquoson is credited to the Newport News Shipyard. If I could estimate, I would probably say that one out of every three people living there now work at the yard. Land is still pretty cheap and its a heck of alot closer than gloucester, (which is another hot spot for shipyard workers to build homes). Nasa also has a significant presence in Poquoson. However, I keep hearing about all these layoffs at nasa, but yet none exist, in fact Nasa has grown and has started a new institute for aerospace just around the corner. However, if government does downsize, it doesn't signal the end of the world here. We are so much less dependant on the military up here on the peninsula. And despite contrary belief, the government will never stop building carriers, because by the time a carrier is built, another one waits to be retired and scrapped.

Yes people were smart and decided to sell and build a home. Who the heck wouldn't, the price is right. However, suggesting that these are people coming from out of nowhere, come on. However, I will say that population numbers are probably higher than predicted because of the significant increase in Latinos moving here. Construction crews around here are now predominantly Latino. I see them walkin all over the place. I think we will see a large population boom in terms of Latinos. However, that could be a drag on the economy.

I see them walkin all over the place. I think we will see a large population boom in terms of Latinos. However, that could be a drag on the economy.

I can't agree with this. To say that an influx of Latinos will be a drag on the economy assumes too much. An under-educated workforce combined with lack of economic opportunity is a drag on the economy, and that comes in all ethnic varieties. As long as there are well paying jobs and decent access to education, i don't see why the influx of any ethnic population would be anything less than a boon for the economy.

I can't agree with this. To say that an influx of Latinos will be a drag on the economy assumes too much. An under-educated workforce combined with lack of economic opportunity is a drag on the economy, and that comes in all ethnic varieties. As long as there are well paying jobs and decent access to education, i don't see why the influx of any ethnic population would be anything less than a boon for the economy.

All I can say is look at Las Angelos as an example. Immigrants (mainly illegal) have put a huge strain on the public health care systems and hospitals. I am not trying to profile. I was referring to mainly illegal immigrants not those who are here legally and pay taxes. Diversity is great. Illegal diversity puts a huge strain on local governments and health care. That's all I'm saying. That's why I believe that our population numbers might be a bit higher than expected.

All I can say is look at Las Angelos as an example. Immigrants (mainly illegal) have put a huge strain on the public health care systems and hospitals. I am not trying to profile. I was referring to mainly illegal immigrants not those who are here legally and pay taxes. Diversity is great. Illegal diversity puts a huge strain on local governments and health care. That's all I'm saying. That's why I believe that our population numbers might be a bit higher than expected.

Yes, Latinos in Los Angeles are a problem. Their schools' education has declined to their personalities, and most of the Los Angeles Unified School District population is Hispanic. A lot of people that don't live in LA say a lot of people that live in LA are fake. I concur. There are a lot of illegal immigrants over there in that city. So, the main problem is the border security. San Diego has experienced a huge growth among Latinos too, as well as the case with Texas cities, Phoenix and Tucson. There's a lot of population growth in the Southwest that is being driven by Latinos from Mexico.

Yeah, I agree that our population numbers might be a bit higher due to the Latino population, the qualities that they bring to the economy are diverse. Some people might pay the Latinos lower wages, some might pay the Latinos higher wages. Depends on the personalities. I read some economic report that Latinos are being paid the lowest wages in the nation, mostly in Southwest cities and Texas. That might be the reason why housing costs are so low in cities as Laredo, Brownsville and Hidalgo County (McAllen, Edinburg).

• 2 weeks later...

I went and checked the census records, and the largest population total I could find for Norfolk was 307,951 in 1970.

http://www.census.gov/population/documenta...s0027/tab20.txt

I've read somewhere before that the population of Norfolk was around 350,000 at the height, but 307,000 ain't too bad either. Hopefully some day we can get it up there again. :)

Yes, Latinos in Los Angeles are a problem. Their schools' education has declined to their personalities, and most of the Los Angeles Unified School District population is Hispanic. A lot of people that don't live in LA say a lot of people that live in LA are fake. I concur. There are a lot of illegal immigrants over there in that city. So, the main problem is the border security. San Diego has experienced a huge growth among Latinos too, as well as the case with Texas cities, Phoenix and Tucson. There's a lot of population growth in the Southwest that is being driven by Latinos from Mexico.

Yeah, I agree that our population numbers might be a bit higher due to the Latino population, the qualities that they bring to the economy are diverse. Some people might pay the Latinos lower wages, some might pay the Latinos higher wages. Depends on the personalities. I read some economic report that Latinos are being paid the lowest wages in the nation, mostly in Southwest cities and Texas. That might be the reason why housing costs are so low in cities as Laredo, Brownsville and Hidalgo County (McAllen, Edinburg).

Latinos in LA are a problem? How do you think the city of LA survives? The big joke about everyone whining about illegal immigration is that our country would grind to a halt without the immigrants. And where are the masses of Latinos in Hampton Roads? Maybe I go to DC too often and think that we have barely any compared to NoVa. And if there were so many "illegal" Latinos swamping our area, do you think they are going to fill out a census form?

If the government wanted them out, they would keep them out. Or they would pass a law that says that employers (who are complicit in hiring the illegals) have to verify that their employees are really qualified to work in the US. How long does it take to run a check on someone's SSN? All the excuses about it are just that. Employers know who they are hiring, the government knows who they are hiring and makes a "bust" here or there to show the locals that they are "doing something".

The sad part about all the Latino workers in construction is that many are illegal, have no rights and no benefits and get paid little or nothing. If they are hurt, oh well. And yet the cost of houses continues to soar.

And finally, the housing costs in those areas that you mentioned are low because... draw your own conclusions because we are not supposed to say rude things about other cities, even Brownsville. Other areas with high numbers of Latinos (San Diego, LA, DC, NYC, Chicago) are not exactly cheap. I think that it has more to do with the areas themselves.

• 3 weeks later...

Thinking that Latinos will have as easy of access to Los Angeles would be a factor too. We dont border a latino country here in Virginia. We will never feel the same "influx" that Los Angeles has. I lived in LA for 6 years. Everyday immigrants migrate to LA. Multiple cultures would only Build on our present city. Think China Town in every major city. Diversity makes every MAJOR city tick. look at New York with the statue of liberty inviting foreigners in. New York is America's largest city. Just some thoughts to ponder.

Multiple cultures would only Build on our present city. Think China Town in every major city. Diversity makes every MAJOR city tick. look at New York with the statue of liberty inviting foreigners in. New York is America's largest city. Just some thoughts to ponder.

I wish there was a smiley that clapped. I have nothing to add to this statement, these are my sentiments exactly. :thumbsup:

Archived