Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRDadof3

Changes at 50 Monroe?

Anyone else catch WOODTV8 tonight reporting on Dr. Harry Singh's (GVSU) assessment of the 2006 economy. In the online link, WOODTV states for next year:

So what's potentially on the horizon for 2007?

Alticor's Marriott Hotel, the new Grand Rapids Art Museum, and an office tower at 50 Monroe Avenue, as well as those hospital expansions are included in the plans.

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4358754

:huh: Do you think they're talking about the Macatawa Building at Louis/Ottawa? Otherwise, I don't know how you'd make a tower at 50 Monroe without tearing down Huntington.

Although, technically speaking, 50 Monroe covers the lot too:

86294198_f2486be857_o.jpg

Who wants to volunteer to get a clarification from WOODTV? If they're willing to go public, they'll probably give more info. :thumbsup:

BTW: The Macatawa Building address is 45 Ottawa, so it can't be that (unless they're confused).

I swear I am not making this stuff up. :)

I'm betting on the parking lot next to 50 Monroe.

Hint Hint

Isn't that the art museum's location?

Maybe upon hearing Macatawa was going higher, Huntington is deciding to go higher on the same lot, 20 stories anyone?

I'm betting on the parking lot next to 50 Monroe.

Hint Hint

designcritic, you're now my favorite UrbanPlaneteer :)

Based on absolutely no "insider info" :ph34r:, I'm going to guess we'll see a 20+ story building put on the lot by TGIF's, CONNECTED to the current 50 Monroe Building, and the whole thing will get a new skinning. It's probably all closely connected to this sale:

http://www.mibiz.com/absolutenm/templates/...=7917&zoneid=32

What do you guys think?

Dadof's article says interior work is going to be done so I don't know if we can expect any outside work being done. Off topic: it says the building was built in 1895, anyone have pics of what it used to look like?

I don't think that article tells the whole story, but it appears some people are starting to pick up the clues :ph34r: . Here's a picture of 50 Monroe before it was re-skinned (far right, about 1/2 way up):

72963472_882539a4fc_o.jpg

I've heard it's not worth uncovering.

Yes Snoogit. And Rizzo, in the parking lot. I think 15 - 20 stories would look pretty good looking up Monroe, especially with 45 Ottawa (Macatawa) next door:

87066087_ba359119db_b.jpg

Sorry for my poor paint skills again. :blush:

Yes Snoogit. And Rizzo, in the parking lot. I think 15 - 20 stories would look pretty good looking up Monroe, especially with 45 Ottawa (Macatawa) next door:

[MS Paint skills removed for bandwidth]

Sorry for my poor paint skills again. :blush:

Assuming thats going to be the look of the buildings :P

I do like that look down Monroe :D Im getting giddy with anticipation

Yes, assuming so. I just put the top on 45 Ottawa like that because of Macatawa's architecture style, and the angled piece on 50 Monroe facing North up Monroe (like most egotists would do).

I would think that since that part of town is home to some of the more modern architecture (in the city), that perhaps two really good modern looking buildings side by side would go nice there.

I think so too. Mostly glass, with maybe a little bit of brick border (maximum). Nothing like that brick/glass building across from Devos Place (name escapes me right now).

Gotta go make supper :blush:

Dad, is this an invitation for some renderings? :blush: 'Cause 'Cause... I have some.... :blush:

What is the average hieght for office floors?

Take that arched in area on the Mac Building, and make it a deep blue glass with a white roof, and a red brick border, and then for 50 monroe, you could have something like a Mini Park Tower. That would be thunderlicious.

And to add to Rizzo's, here's my rendition (for you snoogit):

87120810_37a4164cb3_b.jpg

(I'm not an architect, I just play one on TV)

Yes, Paris, 50 Monroe could be considered the washer/dryer. It's where Huntington Bank is.