Changes at 50 Monroe?

GRDadof3

I drove by the lot at 50 Monroe during my lunch break. The lot seems fairly small and would probably involve a fairly small footprint. It is smaller than the Ellis lot on Lyon and ottawa. But i still hope they can put a nice tower there, it is height that i want not ground mass.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I would perfer something that doesn't overwhelm the space and crowd out the new art museum or Maya Lin's Ecliptic. It would be great if it complemented McKay Tower to the North.

Perhaps something like the adapted Rennaisance style of the Wrigley Building?

50_Monroe_wrigley.thumbnail.jpg

Image. so small. so sad.

Reminds me of working on the second Metropolitan Center project with metrogrkid and grcentro, and I was trying to describe a glass/stone building with ornate detailing. I played around with glass on McKay Tower (this was one of them):

88229056_27794dd67c_o.jpg

It's funny now :lol:

Apparently there will be a media story on this whole thing forthcoming in the near future.

Keep in mind that when you are talking about being more ornate, that translates into more cost. Sure, developers want to put a great building out that will be a signature on the skyline. But they are in the business to make money, and the rents are not high enough in GR to justify building a signature tower.

Apparently there will be a media story on this whole thing forthcoming in the near future.

How forthcoming? or can't you say?

Should I get excited everytime I look at the Press/biz journal/tv this week or are we talking months?

It's so fun to speculate...I hope we're all somewhat pleased when we find out the truth... :)

Personally, I would perfer something that doesn't overwhelm the space and crowd out the new art museum or Maya Lin's Ecliptic. It would be great if it complemented McKay Tower to the North.

I absolutely agree. I was just having some late night fun. ;)

Careful. You're already yanking some chains. :rofl:

They only said in the near future :dontknow: I didn't want to push my luck. Prankster (again) is right. We may have to settle with just glass. Doing Beaux Arts, Italianate, or some other architecture today will come off poorly because the developer will have to keep it affordable (hence ugly).

BTW: for those of you looking for a signature tower, this ain't it. For those of you who love infill, death of surface lots, increased downtown worker population, density, mass, etc.. :thumbsup: Granted, I haven't seen any plans yet, but there's no way downtown can support a monster 400' right now with vacancies still at around 85%.

Here's a full size version of that image Greedo that you can play around with:

88253779_0e14db6910_b.jpg

Driving in from the big lake the last couple mornings, I'm surprised by how dark Bridgewater AGP and the Plaza appear.

I'd think there'd be something, and I know it's expensive, but there's no drama whatsoever and that is sad.

Although the county building is lit like a Christmas tree.

Driving in from the big lake the last couple mornings, I'm surprised by how dark Bridgewater AGP and the Plaza appear.

I'd think there'd be something, and I know it's expensive, but there's no drama whatsoever and that is sad.

Although the county building is lit like a Christmas tree.

:lol: I love how the county building is lit up. Especially from the 196/LMD hill area.

I liked the triming on PT for the holidays, you know, with the christmas trees. I almost expected Santa to fall off the place while bringing gifts. Anyone else notice the triming on PT, is it still there, or was it just for the end of the year?

Archived