Biltmore Square in Asheville Sold

rooster8

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing about Biltmore Sq mall, where it is located is out there. It's not near any population centers, actually. If you live in south Asheville or Arden, it's kind of the same distance to either mall because of the Biltmore Estate Grounds, the Blue Ridge Parkway and the river/interstate that act as a dividing line almost.

I worry about this mall too, Asheville Mall is the dominant mall abd BSM is just there. I think it should be redeveloped into a town center or mixed-use with housing and add a new stadium seating theater (which Asheville does not have!)

I'm sure the new Target shopping center (albiet a bit different mix of retailers/big boxes) has further hurt the mall.

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=...2c%20NC%2028806

• 1 month later...

I don't believe Macy's would open a store at Biltmore Square either however don't be surprised if they announce that Macy's in addition to a couple of other new traditional dept stores building locating at Biltmore Park. I've heard that this urban village will resemble a similiar project in columbus oh - Easton Town Center http://www.eastontowncenter.com/ - check them out and you'll notice the similiarities.

This mall reminds me of Savannah Mall. Like Savannah Mall it is a newer building than its competitor (Oglethorpe Mall in Savannah) and has a better layout. But like in Savannah, the old mall has attracted the better tenants and shows no signing of giving up the lead.

Savannah Mall now has a Target, a Bass Pro Shop, a Burlington Coat Factory, Steve and Barry's athletic apparel, and an AC Moore (in addition to a Dillards). True, those stores aren't traditional anchors, but they've done a pretty good job of attracting shoppers (especially Target).

I'd imagine something similar could be in store for Biltmore Square. Target is probably out of the picture, but I could see a Savannah Mall-esqe revival there.

Archived