Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rooster8

Biltmore Square in Asheville Sold

The mall actually doesn't look that bad from the picture in the article....I suppose it looks early '90's since it opened in '89....very light and airy in that pic....I've never actually visited though....

The thing about Biltmore Sq mall, where it is located is out there. It's not near any population centers, actually. If you live in south Asheville or Arden, it's kind of the same distance to either mall because of the Biltmore Estate Grounds, the Blue Ridge Parkway and the river/interstate that act as a dividing line almost.

I worry about this mall too, Asheville Mall is the dominant mall abd BSM is just there. I think it should be redeveloped into a town center or mixed-use with housing and add a new stadium seating theater (which Asheville does not have!)

I'm sure the new Target shopping center (albiet a bit different mix of retailers/big boxes) has further hurt the mall.

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=...2c%20NC%2028806

There's more to it than just Simon selling the mall- hunt around on Google for industry news sources and it is a messy situation there since the mall wasn't doing well at all.

Biltmore Square has been a dead mall for years. It really serves no purpose of existing. A few years ago, all the stores left, and went to the Asheville Mall. I dont see the situation changing over there either. There's just NOTHING there.

I doubt I would like an antique dealer to go in; too many of them exist. I would not mind Blacklion or Palmetto Home & Garden going in.

Would the recent sale of the mall scare off any potential tenants from going in?

I haven't been in Biltmore Square in a year or so, but I seem to recall that the activity was pretty high... well, moderate anyway. Several neat stores and such. The problem is that there isn't anything else out there worth going to.

As BoDragon mentioned, Palmetto Home and Garden would be a great addition. Not sure whether the owners have considered a store location outside South Carolina, but on in Asheville would find easy success, I would assume. :)

Does anyone think a traditional department store will come in and fill the vacant anchor space? I've never been to the mall but judging on the comments people have made I think it's doubtful. How does the outside of the mall look?

I don't see a Traditional department store coming here. Yes, it's true Asheville is void of Macy's, never having had Hecht's or Rich's, and there is always a slight slight possiblity for that. I guess it could go either way, an anchor store like Peebles could move in.

I don't believe Macy's would open a store at Biltmore Square either however don't be surprised if they announce that Macy's in addition to a couple of other new traditional dept stores building locating at Biltmore Park. I've heard that this urban village will resemble a similiar project in columbus oh - Easton Town Center http://www.eastontowncenter.com/ - check them out and you'll notice the similiarities.

This mall reminds me of Savannah Mall. Like Savannah Mall it is a newer building than its competitor (Oglethorpe Mall in Savannah) and has a better layout. But like in Savannah, the old mall has attracted the better tenants and shows no signing of giving up the lead.

Savannah Mall now has a Target, a Bass Pro Shop, a Burlington Coat Factory, Steve and Barry's athletic apparel, and an AC Moore (in addition to a Dillards). True, those stores aren't traditional anchors, but they've done a pretty good job of attracting shoppers (especially Target).

I'd imagine something similar could be in store for Biltmore Square. Target is probably out of the picture, but I could see a Savannah Mall-esqe revival there.

I hope something like that happens, since Asheville just can't handle 2 "traditional" malls, Biltmore Square could benifit from "non-traditional" anchors/stores

by the way, I do like the foresty facade feel of the Dillard's

str0449.jpg