Favorite Development News Sources

goodbye

Favorite Development News Sources  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you rely on most for local info updates?

• The Greenville News
    • Greenville Journal
    • GSABusiness
    • WYFF 4
    • FOX Carolina, WHNS 21
    • WSPA 7
    • WLOS 13
    • UrbanPlanet.org
    • Other (please tell!)
  2. 2. Do our media options need improvement?

• Yes, totally!
    • Yes, a fair amount.
    • Yes, slightly.
    • No, they're fine.

We all really enjoy reading and watching news happen in Greenville, and even love to be there as it is made. If there is a source of information you most look forward to getting your hands/ears/eyes on regularly, which one is it? There are others I didn't include which you may like more, so don't hesitate to tell us all about it. :)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't wait until Thursday Evening each week so I can stroll out to the curb and pick up my Greenville Journal!

I have found that the Greenville News and WYFF are, for the most part, a few days or weeks behind what I read in the Journal or learn about on U.P., so they could use some improvement, yes indeed.

GSA Business is a pretty good source, too.

I can't wait until Thursday Evening each week so I can stroll out to the curb and pick up my Greenville Journal!

I have found that the Greenville News and WYFF are, for the most part, a few days or weeks behind what I read in the Journal or learn about on U.P., so they could use some improvement, yes indeed.

GSA Business is a pretty good source, too.

I agree with you 100% RT. The Journal seems to have a pulse on the development news like no one else.

Of course, like I've mentioned in the past, its actually my dog that can't wait for Thursday night to fetch the Journal for me. :D

I rely on Urban Planet first, because you guys are great! I also like the Greenville Journal a lot, as it seems to be well ahead of The Greenville News in providing the "scoop." I don't usually read GSA Business, aside from the times people post links to articles there.

Does WLOS even realize that Greenville exists? I have never seen John Lee reporting from Greenville! :rofl:

Most of us obviously think at least some improvement should occur to our media options. What type of improvement(s) do you want to see happen?

I want to see more focus on the daily life in downtown - maybe a fresh new periodical highlighting each new project and details about development rumors.

Another thing would be a segment on TV dedicated to development news and progress reports.

Does WLOS even realize that Greenville exists? I have never seen John Lee reporting from Greenville! :rofl:

WLOS doesn't realize that the Upstate exists except for its weather department, which is marginal at best when it comes to out part of the viewing area.

The same can be said for WYFF, WSPA/WASV and WHNS not realizing Asheville and western North Carolina exists. We are in the Greenville, Spartanburg and Anderson, SC/Asheville, NC television market, yet western North Carolina, upstate South Carolina and northeast Georgia are becoming more regionalized for news. It would be nice if one station emerged to provide a regional news channel.

Thats true. But to be fair, I don't really need to know what is going on in Asheville, and most of them probably don't care what is going on in the Upstate. Splitting things up was a good idea. It wasn't that long ago that all 4 stations covered the entire viewing area.

I agree. I don't care what is going on in Asheville. That is like a totally different world to me, and I rarely even think about Asheville. I'm sure many people in Asheville have the same opinion of the upstate.

Ideally, the two markets will be separate in the future (i.e., Upstate SC will have its own ABC affiliate that covers the upstate and not Western NC). I don't know how likely that is, but it is what I would like to see happen.

I'm with you guys on the Journal. I sit and read it cover to cover each Thurs. I like that it is focused on the important local issues in Greenville. The Greenville News and WYFF tend to spend a lot of time on car accidents and shootings. Good things happen in Greenville everyday. Some newsworthy, some not. But I would like to see more of it covered in the daily news.

I learn most through industry chatter and rumors. But media wise Urbanplanet and the Greenville Journal. I do think all our media sources should focus on development more, they should cover some aspect every day. I think it makes our local economy look strong and thriving, and would make an impression when business people are in town and each day when they get the paper at their hotel room door and see what is going on it would help attract their business.

Here's another idea I've had for quite awhile: There should be a radio show which highlights the development news and has important guests discussing certain topics of interest. You could have an open-phone segment for people to pose questions and pass on rumors or other such info. This is long overdue, IMO. :shades:

Here's another idea I've had for quite awhile: There should be a radio show which highlights the development news and has important guests discussing certain topics of interest. You could have an open-phone segment for people to pose questions and pass on rumors or other such info. This is long overdue, IMO. :shades:

And you could have guests from various developers or government agencies come in to answer questions from callers, too (of course, you'd have to screen the calls to an extent)!! That's an EXCELLENT idea! I'm surprised one of the local talk stations hasn't already dedicated an hour each week (or even each month) to this. :unsure:

• 5 weeks later...

In a minor way, we may have become a competitor, though that is NOT my intent. We give links and credits to all news sources in an effort to provide the best overall coverage and add legitimacy to our rumors and discussions. :)

An interesting note to make: News Channel 7 is now showing a 3-minute newscast and weather update on monitors above the checkout lanes of Powdersville's Bi-Lo. This is a very nice addition, and I happen to know they are planning to incorporate this concept throughout the Upstate eventually. Spinx is also considering a short local newscast for their station gas pumps. Not sure why WSPA was chosen, but hopefully they'll do a nice job. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Major kudos go to WYFF News 4 for their efforts to improve and broadcast the news and information we want to hear. Just this evening alone were these stories:

• Ballpark and Drive advertising campaign

• McBee Station

• Smoke-free downtown Greenville

• Palmetto International Expo Center renovation video

Hats off to the Upstate's best TV news station! :D

That is especially why I hope they are reading. :thumbsup: In a way, though, I can understand their reasoning - save the juicy stories for later to keep people watching - but I think it backfires many times when we flip channels and miss those good stories. I'm fortunate to often watch all of our local news stations simultaneously. Very few from their audience have that ability.

Archived