Hattiesburg!

upstate29650

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know of much new construction beyond a Hilton Garden Inn planned to be built some time this year. I would think that a major convention hotel of at least 300 rooms would be essential- especially with the university and the convention center. Nothing has been announced yet. If I see something, I'll be sure to post it here.

Hattiesburg is currently experiencing a surge in development from multiple sectors. Commercially we are seeing some development on the west end of town that is anchored by a new complex with a Target, Old Navy, etc. The primary anchors are in place with more on the way.

New residential developments are cropping up with regularity. In fact, my firm is in the process of designing three new subdivisions in the Hattiesburg area with one being developed as a PUD with a TND concept.

Development continues on the USM campus with construction wrapping up on the student union expansions and just beginning on the new center for economic development.

The health care sector is contributing its share of the development pie with ongoing expansions at both hospitals and at Hattiesburg Clinic and a new "mega-clinic" / professional office complex just being completed.

The construction of new restaurants is probably at an all-time high with construction of a Longhorn Steakhouse, Logan's Roadhouse, Olive Garden and several others. It is pretty tough to drive more than a few hundred yards in any direction right now without seeing some type of development taking place.

Not to harp on the subject, but have you heard anyhting about hotels being built in Hattiesburg? I know about the Hilton Garden Inn, but that's the only one I have heard about. Too bad the Forrest Hotel was turned into a bank. It would be noice as a restored hotel.

Also, have they restored the train station yet? I used to take the Crescent out of there many times. The station had a handsome waiting room, but it had been used for baggage storage. I had heard that the station might be restored soon.

I am also aware of the Hilton Garden Inn. Other than that, the Hawthorn Suites on at 49 and 59 was recently expanded and is slated to become a Holiday Inn Express (I think). Other than that I am not aware of immediate plans for new hotels.

The depot is in the process of restoration. Progress to date looks promising. Plans include extending the Longleaf Trace Rails-to-Trails to downtown and the depot.

Thanks for the development updates, jcestes4!

I am going to be in Hattiesburg sometime in the next three weeks, so hopefully I will be able to get around the area and check out the new development first hand. :D

While you are here make sure you take time to check out downtown, specifically the Walnut Street area and the Ross Building (American Building) at the end of Front Street. This might also interest you:

Hattiesburg American Article about downtown nightlife

This small piece from the Clarion Ledger does indicate something of a .

construction boom in Lamar County

Any details on these projects?

The interesting thing is that the media seems to completely ignore Forrest County. I have projects (in Forrest County) on the books right now that come close to the number of lots that Lamar County is boasting and that is just my projects. It doesn't count what others in the county are doing.

U. of Southern Miss. to Change Look of Campus

It looks as though the University of Southern Mississippi is catching on to more pedestrian-friendly ways. Cars are being shunted to the edge of the camus and a more open feeling will be projected throughout. The Powerhouse restaurant, located in a former generator building, is scheduled to open this summer. These developments should be interesting....from the Clarion Ledger.

U. of Southern Miss. to Change Look of Campus

It looks as though the University of Southern Mississippi is catching on to more pedestrian-friendly ways. Cars are being shunted to the edge of the camus and a more open feeling will be projected throughout. The Powerhouse restaurant, located in a former generator building, is scheduled to open this summer. These developments should be interesting....from the Clarion Ledger.

The changes as indicated in the article have been taking place over a period of several years. I think that they are just now being recognized because of all of the New Urbanism discussions going on in the state. If I can ever figure out how to post pics without problems I have several pictures of the new pedestrian corridors on campus.

Alright, here goes...I set up a flickr account. Let's see if this will work better than my last attempt. As promised, here are some pictures of the new pedestrian corridors on USM's campus. I am also including a couple of pictures of the relatively new fitness trail and an aerial for good measure.

94344557_26c969e66b.jpg

94344554_8591b4fe29.jpg

94343345_4001b2ce1f.jpg

This particular section runs right in front of the Powerhouse Restaurant

94343344_6a3fa1fd72.jpg

94343342_3e27434398.jpg

94343343_1a3454de07.jpg

94343341_799a643330.jpg

94343340_4c006370ba.jpg

94345430_15ae913b5f.jpg

Planners Leaving Hattiesburg for the Coast

Urban planners are thin on the ground these days in Hattiesburg as many are leaving town to work on the Coast. From the Hattiesburg American. Has this affected your office Jcestes4?

Not really, I work for a consulting firm and while I do have a couple of contracts pending with the city the departure of a couple of their Planners will not really have any bearing on them. Their departure does raise some valid concerns obviously. It pretty tough right now for cities in our area to keep good Planners because so many mega-consulting firms are hiring either temporarily or permanently to help with storm recovery.

About 4 years ago I was offered the position of one of the Planners that recently left (It was before she was hired). The problem was that the city really could not provide any incentive for me. It would have been sort of a lateral move for me at the time.

Cities around here are either going to have to up the ante and find more money for Planners or accept Planners with less experience. I certainly hope it is the former. Cities and counties are generally willing to pay comparable to private sector for engineering and legal personnel...It is high time they did for Planners as well.

• 2 months later...

Hotel Construction on the Rise in Hattiesburg

At lest five hotel projects are under construction in Hattiesburg. THese are mostly limited service hotels. The Hilton Garden Inn and the Courtyard have been mentioned previously. I still think Hattiesburg needs a convention hotel with at least 300 rooms.

Clarion Ledger

• 3 weeks later...

Archived