Toyota in West Michigan?

GaryP

Tom Walsh from the Freep says Toyota is getting scared away by the UAW

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID...ESS01/601200452

This part:

Meanwhile, the conservative Mackinac Center for Public Policy has joined a court challenge opposing the state's sale of 695 acres to Toyota for a research center expansion. A higher bid for the land by a housing developer was rejected by the state on grounds that's Toyota's plan would create more good jobs.

Troubled me the most.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would rate things by how interesting you think the topics are. Whether we agree with or like the developer/development shouldn't matter. At least thats what I think

That's definitely a legitimate way to look at it. I just think we should all be on the same page with the voting. Right now if we were voting on whether or not this topic is 'on topic' I'd give it a one. If we were voting on whether what we are talking about right now is interesting I'd give it a 5 and if we were voting on the Toyota discussion I'd maybe give it a 3 or 4. If I was voting on how much I liked Toyota I'd give it a 2. I don't think any one way is wrong, I just think we should all be on the same page.

That is a bit troubling. I don't think I've ever seen the Mackinaw Center for Public Policy labeled as "conservative" before <_< I really hate politics.

I meant the housing part, but truth be told, ive never heard it called anything but conservative :P I just dont like sprawl over jobs is all but what do i know.

It remains to be seen how useful the ratings are. I think number of replies (9 times out of 10) on a topic determines how much value it brings to the site. Just look at our highest "replied" topics and you can see what people want to talk about: construction projects, eating out and drinking brewskies :P J/K :whistling:

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE! WoodTV reported Toyota has dropped West Michigan from consideration for an engine plant due to a splinter UAW group rally outside of Cobo Hall during the auto show. They said its leader was from Coopersville and when Toyota Execs found out they pretty much didn't give us much of a second thought. I'll post a link from woodtv after they put one on their page.

TOLD you all! Snoogit, who said it? See a guy with a union member for neigbor knows too much.

Before anyone goes bashing the UAW, they interviewed a local UAW rep who said they think this Coopersville guy is a nut job and they are in no way behind him.

Then again you really can't dig WoodTV anymore... I almost kind of find it hard to blieve that one man could have stoped us from recieving the multi-billion dollar facility. I think there is some more underlying motives for WM not being picked.

Then again you really can't dig WoodTV anymore... I almost kind of find it hard to blieve that one man could have stoped us from recieving the multi-billion dollar facility. I think there is some more underlying motives for WM not being picked.

I'm a believer in their reporting on this one. They did interview a guy with first hand experience of the situation.

It would totally be possible that Toyota is using this as an excuse though, but we'll never really know.

I really don't think West Michigan stood much of chance for this Toyota Plant anyway. Michigan doesn't even have that great of a chance but if Toyota doest move here I'll bet it's in one of the automotive strongholds, Detroit, Lansing, Flint or Saginaw.

UPDATE! WoodTV reported Toyota has dropped West Michigan from consideration for an engine plant due to a splinter UAW group rally outside of Cobo Hall during the auto show.

Yay, not only insure that your overpriced Union jobs are history but then screw the rest of the State.

Idiots.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I HATE UNIONS. They are too stupid to get anything positive done. Reminds me a lot of a certain political party that tends to associate with them...

We've had a couple of articles from the Press in the last 2 days about how Granholm has done a 180 and decided to fund the 131 expansion to the Indiana line and the 80/90 Interstate toll road. I can't help but think this is related to Toyota's decision in some way. Maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part, but this is a pretty big turnaround from MDOT's no build decision that at the time basically squashed any possibility of this expansion for the next 15 years.

Today's Article

yesterday's article

We've had a couple of articles from the Press in the last 2 days about how Granholm has done a 180 and decided to fund the 131 expansion to the Indiana line and the 80/90 Interstate toll road. I can't help but think this is related to Toyota's decision in some way. Maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part, but this is a pretty big turnaround from MDOT's no build decision that at the time basically squashed any possibility of this expansion for the next 15 years.

Today's Article

yesterday's article

I think you're right Gary. I'm not exactly sure where Toyota's plant in Indiana is, but I would bet a better link with 80/90 would facilitate transport much more. It may be one of Toyota's sticking points with locating in SW Michigan.

Yay, not only insure that your overpriced Union jobs are history but then screw the rest of the State.

Idiots.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I HATE UNIONS. They are too stupid to get anything positive done. Reminds me a lot of a certain political party that tends to associate with them...

just stop trolling please.

• 2 weeks later...

Developers in that area have been trying to make Berrien a suburb for years. There's even a housing development that they attempted to label a Chicago suburb. Didn't work though.

One "hmm?" factor is that the top execs, past and present, from Whirlpool are in the middle of a land grab and are trying to make a world class golf resort in BH right now. Whirlpool alone doesn't have enough people coming in and out to support this, but i guess if there were another large player...

• 9 months later...

Archived