Gov. Sanford appoints Upstate business leader to new state board

upstate29650

story

**CHEERLEADING ALERT!***

From the article:

The Upstate should have a representative on the board because it's the "epicenter of business in South Carolina," Sanford told The Greenville News on Friday. "I think that more IPOs (initial public offerings of stock) have been done out of the Upstate than any other region of our state," the governor said. "I think that in terms of new ventures and new start-ups, there's more of that in the Upstate than any other part of our state."

The spot was filled when W. Leighton Lord III, chairman of the Nexsen Pruet law firm in Columbia, was asked to step down from the board to make room for Greenville businessman John Warner, founder and chairman of InnoVenture. Warner will spend this weekend considering if he wants the position, which it appears he will accept, pending review of any conflicts.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Calm down, Upstaters. I know of no one on the board from the SC portion of the Charlotte region (York, Lancaster, Chester counties) and this area is getting serious economic overflow from Charlotte, yet I don't think it's a conspiracy on the part of Sanford to overlook us. The Greenville News actually had a fairly balanced article about the lack of Upstate representation on the board initially. Cause for concern? Yes. Sinister plot to slight the Upstate? Hardly.

Calm down, Upstaters. I know of no one on the board from the SC portion of the Charlotte region (York, Lancaster, Chester counties) and this area is getting serious economic overflow from Charlotte, yet I don't think it's a conspiracy on the part of Sanford to overlook us. The Greenville News actually had a fairly balanced article about the lack of Upstate representation on the board initially. Cause for concern? Yes. Sinister plot to slight the Upstate? Hardly.

No offense, but in all honesty, the Upstate's presence on the board would be more important than that of the Charlotte area. Yes, someone from each area should be present and no ONE area should have too much representation. I think Sanford's quotes recognize the Upstate's importance-- it's not just me saying this.

No one can deny the economic importance of the Upstate to SC as a whole--which is why I do not believe that the initial lack of Upstate representation was the board's way of giving the Upstate the finger. If anything, it would hurt the state as a whole by NOT having Upstate representation.

In my view of politics, actions speak louder than words. Too many times the Upstate has been neglected for no apparent reason. The signs have been clear and steady from day one. I will be interested to see what moves are made to rebuild that political trust of 4 years ago. I will also be interested to see who will step up and challenge the current administration in next year's elections.

What actions (or lack thereof) are you speaking of Skyliner? The only one, besides this occurrence, that I can think of was the recent ice storm, and in that instance there seemed to be ineffective communication between local and state officials. What logical reason(s) exist(s) for the governor intentionally neglecting such a vital region in our state?

He's a Lowcountry businessman who found a way ($) to get elected into the governor's seat. It is obviously natural for him to take care of things near his home. I'm not alone, BTW.

On this same topic: Why do we as a state trail several other states in the region in proper growth on different levels (economic and education included)?

edit: I'm not saying that every Lowcountry businessman would govern in a similar manner.

But what specific actions can you point to that demonstrate Sanford's supposed disregard for the Upstate?

Concerning your question as to why SC trails other states, particularly our neighbors, on several levels, I would argue that while our governor does shoulder some responsibility, the root of the problem is our outdated, Reconstruction-era state constitution that essentially robs our governor of his abilities to.....well....govern.

In my view of politics, actions speak louder than words. Too many times the Upstate has been neglected for no apparent reason. The signs have been clear and steady from day one. I will be interested to see what moves are made to rebuild that political trust of 4 years ago. I will also be interested to see who will step up and challenge the current administration in next year's elections.

Skyliner, I'm sorry, but I have to diasgree as well. IMO, through many years, I have felt that my hometown as been neglected through the many years of Upstaters who dominated in power and legislation. Look at how much road infrastructure your part of the state has had (including a toll-interstate which everybody complains about being a waste of money) in comparison to the Lowcountry. Hell, US 17 has been in need of widening in Colleton and Charleston Counties for decades and the political power has never been exerted to do that project...granted, things are changing there at the present time. I, along with many other Charlestonians, would love to have that luxury of saying that we got a new highway built which wasn't needed!

In other aspects, I see the Upstate having the best road maintenance, and all of it is from state money. The Upstate has had it very nice for a long time. Yes, you do want balanced regional participation on the economic development board, but as krazee said, I do not find this incident as evidence that the Upstate is being neglected. You could make a case for the Lowcountry and the Pee Dee regions in that respect through the many years of highway and economic development neglect. Only Chas and MB have emerged to get out of the situation.

Archived