Where are you from?

Bears

Tennessee Forum Census  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Which Grand Division do you consider yourself from/native of?

• West Tennessee
    • Middle Tennessee
    • East Tennessee
    • None. I've only visited/driven thru or just wanted to know whats going on in TN.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i consider myself to be a middle tennessean since i was born in nashville and have lived here all of my life (well i just moved to the boro, but i still consider that nashville). i've been raised in all three great divisions though. my dad's side is from jackson, and my mom's side is from knoxville, so i consider all three of those areas as home to me. i guess i'm just a tennessean. tennessee born, tennessee bred, and when i die i'll be tennessee dead. :D

I'm from East Tennessee currently, so I voted in the East Tennessee section. However, I've lived most of my life until the past 3 years in the Nashville area, so I have quite a bit of interest in what's going on there. I'm a Tennessean through and through and I have considerable interest in the West Tennessee area as well.

I'm thinking I might be the only person on here who can say they live in Copperhill, TN. The Copper basin area which is in the far SE corner of Tennessee where TN meets with NC and GA was formally one of the largest man made wastelands in the us caused by year of smelting copper and releasing acid into the atmosphere. They claim Copper basin was visible as a big bald spot in a sea of green from outer space as late as the 70's. I'll tell you this; much has changed since then. Trees are growing back everywhere, but if you look close you can still see the huge gullies and ruts from years of erosion. Mining history goes back to 1843 here. I am a Cleveland native and I was a Cleveland resident until about 2 months ago, now I am on what was part of the old family farm.

http://www.gamineral.org/copperbasin.htm

www.epa.gov/superfund/programs/aml/tech/copperbasin.pdf

http://www.glennsprings-copperbasinproject...ing_history.htm

Edited by HABANERO7

I was born and raised in Memphis--where the "Atlantic State" of Tennessee meets the "Gulf State" of Arkansas. We have a lot of beaches. :lol:

Spent 2 yr. in Nashville, and 25 years in New Orleans, and now live in southern Minnesota.

Edited by sleepy

I'm thinking I might be the only person on here who can say they live in Copperhill, TN.

Yeah, I remember going with my dad through Copperhill and Ducktown in the 60's. It was devastated back then and was really amazing to see coming from the North Carolina side which was all green.

I was born and reared in Memphis. I lived in Southern Georgia from about 6 weeks till age 2. We then moved back to Memphis where I lived; with the exception of one summer in Huntsville, until I went away to the University of Tennessee in Knoxville. I haven't lived in Tennessee since I graduated from college in 1977.

Yeah, I remember going with my dad through Copperhill and Ducktown in the 60's. It was devastated back then and was really amazing to see coming from the North Carolina side which was all green.

The devastation was created by the smelting of copper from the nearby mines in open trenches which created sulphuric acid and destroyed all vegetation over about a 20 square mile area. It was claimed that it was the only man-made feature on the planet that could be seen from earth orbit. In fact, the Tennessee Film Commission tried to promote it as a place to film westerns back in the 70's since it looked like a desert. I believe TVA has done a great job in reclaiming with vegetation so that it looks a lot better now.

By the way, Copperhill, which reminds me more of the old Rocky Mountain mining towns in Colorado my Mother grew up in, was claimed to be in Georgia by Georgia (who obviously wanted the wealth of the copper mines). They claimed that the State line was supposed to fall exactly on the 35th parallel which is just north of Copperhill. I guess Tennessee won.

I am a Kentuckian by birth. Born in 1979 in Owensboro, KY (where Johnny Depp is from). I grew up in Central City, KY which is just 30 minutes south of Owensboro and an hour/hour and a hlf north of Nashville on US431. My dad was a coal miner and I was a typical kid. Got married in 1999 and moved to Lexington, KY where I proceeded to get a divorce in 2003 and remarry in 2004 to my lovely wife now. Moved back "home" to Nashville in 2003 and hope to never move again!

Soooooooooo............I am from Central City, Ky, but Middle Tennessee is home now.

I moved from this..........

Picture618.jpg

To this.................

lexingotndistance.jpg

And now to this................

yummy.jpg

Born in Memphis, moved to Birmingham, then to Houston, then to Jacksonville, back to Birmingham, then to the Nashville area. Went to school at UT Knoxville, moved back to Nashville. Weeee! I guess i'm from the south, although my family's not southern, so who knows what I am or where i'm from. I'm from earth.

Born in Kingsport, now live in Ashland City. However in between I lived in Montgomery AL., Clemson S.C., Galveston, Houston, South Padre Island, Atlanta, Greensboro, Chattanooga twice, Charleston W.V., Nashville, Huntsville Al. twice, Mobile, Richmond,. That's the hazard of working in the hotel/rest. business. That's why I don't do it anymore.

Edited by smeagolsfree

• 2 weeks later...

Born and raised in the Nashville, lived in the same house all of my life. Currently living in Knoxville (Fort Sanders area) attending the University of Tennessee.

Both of my parents are Middle Tennesseans, and I am a 7th generation Tennessean on my dad's side, 6th generation Tennessean on my mom's side.

I was born in Glasgow, KY but was moved to Nashville when I was only a year old. My mother is matron of old Nashville, a historian, and just full of stories. I drive her around and we compete...with what's GOING somewhere and her telling me was WAS there. It's funny...a bit frustrating. lol.

Dad was from Oklahoma, but maternally, the family goes way, way back to the late 1800s in the Clarksville area.

... and I'm not leaving.

I was born at 20th and Church. (Nashville)

I have traveled half way around the world and all over the USA, but always come back and spend my work days just a few blocks from where I started. I've been to New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Atlanta, Philadelphia, London, Paris, Dublin, Honolulu, Denver, Phoenix, Dallas, New Orleans, Miami and so many other Cities, but I'm always glad to see that Nashville skyline when I return.

I spend my evenings just about a drive, 5 iron and chip shot from the Nashville City Limits.

I am a Kentuckian by birth. Born in 1979 in Owensboro, KY (where Johnny Depp is from). I grew up in Central City, KY which is just 30 minutes south of Owensboro and an hour/hour and a hlf north of Nashville on US431. My dad was a coal miner and I was a typical kid. Got married in 1999 and moved to Lexington, KY where I proceeded to get a divorce in 2003 and remarry in 2004 to my lovely wife now. Moved back "home" to Nashville in 2003 and hope to never move again!

Soooooooooo............I am from Central City, Ky, but Middle Tennessee is home now.

I moved from this..........

Picture618.jpg

Don't take it the wrong way, but I think the Center City pic looks the most interesting of the three.

Of course, looking interesting and actually living there might be two different things. :P

Bye bye love

Bye bye happiness, hello loneliness

I think I'm-a gonna cry-y

I imagine even the Everly Brothers got out as soon as they made some dollars.

Had a brother in law who worked on equipment maintenance in those coal mines around Center City.

Edited by sleepy

• 2 weeks later...

Don't take it the wrong way, but I think the Center City pic looks the most interesting of the three.

Of course, looking interesting and actually living there might be two different things. :P

I imagine even the Everly Brothers got out as soon as they made some dollars.

Had a brother in law who worked on equipment maintenance in those coal mines around Center City.

WOW! Sorry for the delayed responce Sleepy. Yeah it's an interesting place to visit, and even moreso to live in. Everything is different there, EVERYTHING. LOL!!! The coal mines are trying to make a slow comeback there, so maybe things will get better.

The Everly Brothers made it to Nashville as soon as they could get out of town.