Photo Tour of the Air Museum

I went to the Air Museum at Drake Field today. There was a lot more there than I would have thought. I was mainly expecting a few planes and helicopters. There's a lot more than this, although my pics won't show a lot of the other stuff also there. I didn't take my tripod and quite a few of my inside pics didn't come out too well. Anywa here's just a few pics to get everyone started before I get some more uploaded and posted.

img0531s8dy.jpg

img0490s0hu.jpg

img0495s2kc.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks a lot better than I thought.

I might have to make a trip down there for that.

Yeah as I said before a lot of my inside pics didn't come out and I haven't posted all my pics yet. There's still more to come. It's a nice museum, I don't think there's anything else quite like it in Arkansas.

Then there's two more inside exhibits that are a part of the Air Museum that I didn't know about. Both being a Wartime Museum. The first has a number of wartime vehicles including some non-flying vehicles. The second has more uniforms and guns and other smaller type items. The next to last pic is a project they are currently working on. I talked to one guy who worked there for a while about it. He seemed oretty excited about it. He said it was something rare made near the end of WWII and there were only 300 made. The last pic is another project they are working on. This is how some of their current exhibits actually start off belive it or not. Then they slowly get parts and piece them back together.

img0535s9ic.jpg

img0536s9ei.jpg

img0537s3kp.jpg

img0539s4if.jpg

img0540s5lx.jpg

img0543s9yj.jpg

img0545s2tr.jpg

img0546s5ko.jpg

img0544s9qv.jpg

img0548s8cz.jpg

The other inside exhibit of the Wartime Museum section of the Air Museum has other items like uniforms, guns, and foreign items picked up during wartime. There are even some from Iraq, including a pic of an Arkansas serviceman in Saddam's 'hole'. I couldn't get many pics because they were all in glass cases and I was getting glares of the lights above. I will try to post at least one although it's also a blurry. It's a Nazi flag captured by an American unit that had a serviceman from Bentonville.

img0550s7cm.jpg

I have a few more pics of some more outside exhibits but I may not post those till tomorrow.

Great pics!!! I haven't been to the Air Museum since they moved the Ozark Military Museum to Drake Field back in 2003... I can't wait to take my family there. If I'm this impressed from the pics I know I'll be blown away in person.

BTW... if you haven't been before, go to AIRFEST2006 in June... what's unique about the Air Museum is all those old warbirds really fly!

Great pics!!! I haven't been to the Air Museum since they moved the Ozark Military Museum to Drake Field back in 2003... I can't wait to take my family there. If I'm this impressed from the pics I know I'll be blown away in person.

BTW... if you haven't been before, go to AIRFEST2006 in June... what's unique about the Air Museum is all those old warbirds really fly!

I haven't been to one but I think that's something else I need to add to my list og things to do. Yeah I noticed many of the planes were in working order, not just models or something. And yeah I would say it's worth a visit, my pics certainly don't do it justice. Just think of it as a bit of an overview of some of the things to see. Like I said before I had a lot of inside shots not come out because I didn't bring my tripod. So there's quite a bit to see inside as well.

Archived