Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AceMentor

Best Tennessee Newspaper

I'm sure someone from the tennessean will read this but it is a awful newspaper with a great sports section(except david climer who needs to stop being so negative). In nashville my vote hands down is to the city paper but I've heard that knoxville has a good paper. Anyone else have thoughts?

I always enjoyed the Commecial Appeal out of Memphis, but since I read only the CP, Tn, Scene most of the time, I really don't know much about the others.

A little bird told me that come April or so, you might not recognize the Tennessean. Stand by, please.

Nashville City Paper. Better writing, more info, correct facts, more in-depth stories (WW), and on tact everytime I open it. Plus, all of this (which can be read in the Tennessean) is free at most retailers in Nashville. LOL!!

Dave, you are a horrible person for not telling us more. LOL!!!

I'm sure someone from the tennessean will read this but it is a awful newspaper with a great sports section(except david climer who needs to stop being so negative). In nashville my vote hands down is to the city paper but I've heard that knoxville has a good paper. Anyone else have thoughts?

Ugh, you are so right about The Tennessean ('cept the sports section is of no consequence to me, as I'm not a sports person). I miss the Banner. :(

When the Seigenthalers (sp?) ran it, the Tennesseean was one of the best newspapers in the South, along with the Louisville Courier-Journal. From what I've seen of it lately, it stinks.

The Commercial Appeal stinks as well. It went to some "neighborhood reporting" schtick, closed its Washington bureau, and fired its political reporters.

I enjoy reading the Memphis Flyer though.

I'm a fan of the Commercial Appeal overall for a paper, I read it everyday. I like the Tennessean, but only for its Capitol Hill reporting and some of its editorials.

Second to the CA, I think the Chattanooga Times-Free Press is a terrific all around paper.

Not a big fan of the Knoxville News-Sentinel, and the Jackson Sun varies to its degree of quality depending on the what day it is and what has transpired to report on.

The City Paper is a great paper if you live in Nashville and I like its Capitol Hill reporting as well.

Ugh, you are so right about The Tennessean ('cept the sports section is of no consequence to me, as I'm not a sports person). I miss the Banner. :(

Unfortunately for me I never experienced the banner because I was only like 7 or 8 young to read when it finally went under. (wasn't it 1997?)

The Banner was good. Back when I was in high school it posted the predicted score of our games and it gave us plenty to talk about on Friday mornings before the games.

When the Seigenthalers (sp?) ran it, the Tennesseean was one of the best newspapers in the South, along with the Louisville Courier-Journal. From what I've seen of it lately, it stinks.

Actually, the Tennessean's problem, besides the shoddy reporting and being nothing but wall-to-wall AP press-wire stories, is that for many decades now, it has been so radically knee-jerk liberally biased that it rightly earned the nickname "Praavda on the Cumberland."

Of course, that's not a problem exclusive to the Tennessean's, but a chronic problem with the bulk of newspapers nationwide. With other alternatives to get their news, people aren't forced to have to subscribe to print media that insults their intelligence, engages in the politics of personal destruction, and mocks their values. That's why we see such sharply-declining subscription/readership rates.

Unfortunately for me I never experienced the banner because I was only like 7 or 8 young to read when it finally went under. (wasn't it 1997?)

Yes, that's about when it went under. The Banner was always top-notch in reporting exclusively Nashville-based news, far and above the Tennessean. Being just before I got the internet, that year we subscribed to 4 newspapers (Tennessean, USA Today, the Banner, and the Washington Times). Alas, the Times was always delayed in the mail by a couple of days, but I figured it was better to get factual reporting that was old then rely on fresh bias from the Tennessean. We stopped getting USA Today when fewer and fewer Antioch residents were getting it delivered by hand in the morning (eventually, in this area, we were the last ones - and they started mailing it to us, so it was old by the time it reached us, so dropped it altogether).

The Murfreesboro DNJ was a pretty good paper...then Gannett bought it. :(

And everyone here is right...the Tennessean Sports section is the only thing worth reading in that paper. From my experience, it's one of the better local sports sections I have read.

Actually, the Tennessean's problem, besides the shoddy reporting and being nothing but wall-to-wall AP press-wire stories, is that for many decades now, it has been so radically knee-jerk liberally biased that it rightly earned the nickname "Praavda on the Cumberland."

Of course, that's not a problem exclusive to the Tennessean's, but a chronic problem with the bulk of newspapers nationwide. With other alternatives to get their news, people aren't forced to have to subscribe to print media that insults their intelligence, engages in the politics of personal destruction, and mocks their values. That's why we see such sharply-declining subscription/readership rates.

Yeah, I remember in the 60's when the Tennesseean got its liberal reputation because it was for school desegregation. -_-

I should add that an excellent newspaper is the Chicago Tribune, which happens to be a conservative newspaper, and I'm not conservative.

I don't base my views on the quality of a paper by its place on the political spectrum. I don't think the Tennesseean is presently lousy because it's owned by the conservative Gannett outfit, I just think it's a lousy newspaper. I also don't think the Commercial Appeal is lousy because it's owned by the relatively liberal Scripps-Howard chain. I just think it's a lousy paper.

Yeah, I remember in the 60's when the Tennesseean got its liberal reputation because it was for school desegregation. -_-

I should add that an excellent newspaper is the Chicago Tribune, which happens to be a conservative newspaper, and I'm not conservative.

I don't base my views on the quality of a paper by its place on the political spectrum. I don't think the Tennesseean is presently lousy because it's owned by the conservative Gannett outfit, I just think it's a lousy newspaper. I also don't think the Commercial Appeal is lousy because it's owned by the relatively liberal Scripps-Howard chain. I just think it's a lousy paper.

Problem with the Tennessean, and a lot of these liberal papers, is that they're still stuck in the '60s. As for the Chicago Tribune, it hasn't been a real Conservative paper since at least 1969, moving leftward ever since (certainly nothing like it was under Col. McCormick), which is a shame, because Chicago and Illinois certainly needs journalistic balance (so does Nashville and Tennessee). That's also the first I've ever heard that Gannett was "Conservative." Perhaps it, too, was many many decades ago. It certainly doesn't "trickle down" in any of its publications or editorial pages whatsoever, where it remains as liberal as can be.

I read the Tennessean, CA, and Knox News-Sentinel online most often and in person when I can, I read the Chatt Times free press every day in paper format... it is one of my favorite with its nice layouts and easy to find sections. Below is a link to an award the Times Free Press won a couple of years ago pertaining to the layout.

http://www.newsandtech.com/issues/2003/09-...chattanooga.htm

Problem with the Tennessean, and a lot of these liberal papers, is that they're still stuck in the '60s. As for the Chicago Tribune, it hasn't been a real Conservative paper since at least 1969, moving leftward ever since (certainly nothing like it was under Col. McCormick), which is a shame, because Chicago and Illinois certainly needs journalistic balance (so does Nashville and Tennessee). That's also the first I've ever heard that Gannett was "Conservative." Perhaps it, too, was many many decades ago. It certainly doesn't "trickle down" in any of its publications or editorial pages whatsoever, where it remains as liberal as can be.

I don't judge a newspaper by their op/ed page.

I think probably the conservative WSJ is the best newspaper in the US with the most thorough and meticulous reporting, even though their editorial page frequently contradicts or ignores the facts found by the news staff, sometimes even in the same edition.

And again, I'm far to the left of the WSJ.

20 yr. ago, I would have said the NYT was the best--it's now sloppy and self-serving. Now I say the WSJ is the best. Again, I don't judge a newspaper on its political leanings.

I don't judge a newspaper by their op/ed page.

I think probably the conservative WSJ is the best newspaper in the US with the most thorough and meticulous reporting, even though their editorial page frequently contradicts or ignores the facts found by the news staff, sometimes even in the same edition.

And again, I'm far to the left of the WSJ.

20 yr. ago, I would have said the NYT was the best--it's now sloppy and self-serving. Now I say the WSJ is the best. Again, I don't judge a newspaper on its political leanings.

Most papers I've tended to notice that the ideology isn't exclusively found on the op/ed... but I digress...

I don't read the WSJ unless someone gives me a reference to the articles. You gotta be independently wealthy to subscribe to a lot of those newspaper websites. :blink:

As for the NYT... let's just say it never fails to live up (or down) to the standards folks that are right-of-center believe it to represent. I can conceivably seeing that paper going out of business within a decade, and it won't be the only one.

I probably get the bulk of my news straight from the AP wire or go straight to the local source. It is certainly a lot easier in the age of the internet to go straight to the horses's mouth, so to speak !

I agree with Sleepy that the WSJ is the best paper in the country...for the state...I really have only read the Tennesseean and the Commercial Appeal for major circulation along with The City Paper and the Memphis Flyer for the tabloid style. I'd say that for news, the Commercial Appeal is the best in the state due to the fact that I have seen them present rather decent articles. It's fairly decent across the board for each section, as well. However, for entertainment value, I go for the Memphis Flyer. I think Nashville certainly has a winner with the City Paper, though. I seriously hope the CA and the Tennesseean both change. I could see it happening to the latter before the former primarily due to the fact that the CA has already been going through a change phase...blargh. I write for the Germantown Appeal, but it's just a part of this whole "fluffization of the news" phase the CA is going through. I miss hard journalism. Do any of you remember the Memphis Press Scimiter (sp?)? Wasn't it the evening paper? My dad seems to have liked it.

I guess the Chattanooga Times Free Press. It's the least offensive. The rest are as bad as the Urinal-Constipation.

As far as I'm concerned, there's not a single mainstream city newspaper in the State that I'm totally enamored with, and that includes the Chattanooga Times Free Press, which I subscribe to. I'm probably the only one on this forum who would feel this way, but my biggest beef with the Chattanooga paper is with their sports page. I'm a Georgia Tech graduate, and they give almost zero coverage to Tech which is as close to Chattanooga as any other major college is including the University of Tennessee. They act as if Georgia Tech doesn't even exist. Remember that there are two major state supported schools in Georgia and Tech is one of them. A significant portion (25%?) of the Times Free Press subscribers live in Georgia. The paper gives outrageously good coverage to the University of Georgia (which is farther away from Chattanooga than Tech) and almost none to Tech. For example, when Georgia Tech beat the University of Miami in football this season when Miami was ranked number three in the nation and knocked them out of a legitimate shot at the National Championship game, the glorious Tech victory was relegated to a two or three paragraph column on page 15 of the sports section! Unbelievable! I'm so exasperated by this that I keep threatening to cancel my subscription to the paper, yet I never do. I guess it's my loyalty to this forum to get all the information I can on what's going on in this area that keeps me from doing that. Anyway, I must say that the rest of the paper isn't too bad.

I used to read Chattanooga Times (sometimes, Chattanooga Free Press) and Knoxville News-Sentinel everyday while still living in Loudon County, Tenn.

Whenever I am in the Calhoun/Adairsville (GA) area, the first thing I would stop by to get a copy of the Chattanooga Times-Free Press (North Georgia edition).

The present Knoxville newspaper is laughingstock! So, is Tennessean!

I agree with Sleepy that the WSJ is the best paper in the country...for the state...I really have only read the Tennesseean and the Commercial Appeal for major circulation along with The City Paper and the Memphis Flyer for the tabloid style. I'd say that for news, the Commercial Appeal is the best in the state due to the fact that I have seen them present rather decent articles. It's fairly decent across the board for each section, as well. However, for entertainment value, I go for the Memphis Flyer. I think Nashville certainly has a winner with the City Paper, though. I seriously hope the CA and the Tennesseean both change. I could see it happening to the latter before the former primarily due to the fact that the CA has already been going through a change phase...blargh. I write for the Germantown Appeal, but it's just a part of this whole "fluffization of the news" phase the CA is going through. I miss hard journalism. Do any of you remember the Memphis Press Scimiter (sp?)? Wasn't it the evening paper? My dad seems to have liked it.

Bizzkit, I certainly remember the Press-Scimitar. And yes, it was an evening paper. Like most evening papers, it lost out due to the fact that people could pick up and read the morning paper all day long and there became less and less time to read an evening paper. I think that papers were better years ago. I also think that a part of it is that people read more and took more time to read. I also remember when the CA had a much better sports section. They used to do very good coverage of the SEC, the Big 8, and the SWC; as well as their coverage of Memphis (State). This was because they were courting all the SEC fans in Memphis along the Arkansas and Missouri fans. They did a passable job on the Big 10 and Pac 8 giving it a rather good overall national sports scope. This is by the wayside. It is now more like so many others, trying to follow Pro and Memphis along with a somewhat passable look towards the SEC. Like most sports sections, junk.

If I have jumped in, I have to go by what I can easily pick up and read on the web. I think that the Tennessean has a far better website than either the Commercial Appeal or the News Sentinel. The Chattanooga Times is not available without additional things that I don't want to do. In short, Scripps junk for the CA and the KNS. Gannett junk for the NT, but the Gannett junk is a little better organized.

The Memphis Business Journal is better on line than the Nashville Business Journal. I would have thought that they would have the same format being owned by the same people, but they don't. I guess that editorial power still means something.

Its hard to pick a newspaper as being better that another. One may have better sports, while another has better local news, and another has a good national news section. I just read what I want online.

I will have to say that the Nashville City Paper, being a small free NP, can have more local news in it than the Tennessean and does a great job at giving both sides of an issue.

The Chattanoogan, (www.chattanoogan.com) is a good "paper", because it online only, and you don't have to wait for a print edition for breaking local news. They recently hit 250000 weekly readership.

Nashville City Paper. Better writing, more info, correct facts, more in-depth stories (WW), and on tact everytime I open it.

As a some-time lurker, I've enjoyed reading the discussions more than commenting here (even though I've been tempted at times), but when I read this comment, I could not restrain myself. As a longer-time reader of the City Paper I could not disagree more with the commenter.

The City Paper has a rather checkered past, including limited information and even incorrect facts that I've looked at on my weblog. I've criticized the NCP for giving confusing and contradictory reports on negotiations of the new Sounds ballpark, for publishing incorrect information about real estate in my neighborhood, and for displaying ignorance of affordable housing planned for the neighborhood.

The most significant blunder that the City Paper made with respect to my urban neighborhood was to put a screaming front page headline about it that had nothing to do with the facts in the story itself. It also indicated, and incorrectly so, that developments were causing trouble with local teenage gangs, leading to a few problems that we had with graffiti. Also, the reporter of the story sensationalized the graffiti beyond the bounds of reason. The City Paper acknowledged some of these mistakes only by immediately changing the headline on the website a few hours later. Editor William Williams, who was responsible for missing the problems only publicly acknowledged and retracted the City Paper's front-page mistakes a week afterwards, and he buried them on page 15. That's not very accountable in my book. It was too little, too late. This sorry episode has already had some development repercussions in our neighborhood. It's an example of egregious and erroneous reporting can erode urban development. While I still read the NCP, I do so with a grain of salt now and I surely don't give them any more creedence than other local media. They are due some degree of suspicion, or at least a restraint of the reader's naivete.