The New I-75/I-16

wks2003x

I-75 in Macon is a miserable drive. There are way too many cars on the road, and it feels narrow. 12 lanes might be somewhat excessive, but its not unwarranted. They are no doubt trying to plan for the future, but they rpobably aren't takign into account how the additional capactiy will affect growth in Macon and traffic to and from Atlanta. The answer to both is that they will increase.

You have to take into account that I-75 is a major pipeline from Detroit all the way into Florida, so it's not just Macon traffic, there are people traveling from the Midwest all the way into Florida, and it is also a major distribution pipeline with tractor trailor trucks hauling goods through Georgia and into Florida and also I-16 is the major conveyance connectiong the busy ports of Savannah and Brunswick. So a freeway interchange this wide as you said Spartan may be a little to much, but widening and smoothing out the sharp curved interchange ramps with the "fly-over" bridges is much needed for these two "pipeline" interstates that travel through Macon.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I stated in the above post, once again with I-75 being a major pipeline through Georgia, you have alot of cars and tractor trailor trucks taking the I-475 by pass to not have to travel through Macon and as I stated in my previous post, I feel the rebuilding of this interchange is much need. Once again you have dangerous ramps to convey cars and trucks to the other interstate.

I do think however that it is going to be hell having both the I-75/I-475 and the I-75/I-16 interchanges under construction at the same time. If you think it is bad now, I just know there is going to be some serious traffic conjestion during the construction phase of these two interchanges.

As I stated in the above post, once again with I-75 being a major pipeline through Georgia, you have alot of cars and tractor trailor trucks taking the I-475 by pass to not have to travel through Macon and as I stated in my previous post, I feel the rebuilding of this interchange is much need. Once again you have dangerous ramps to convey cars and trucks to the other interstate.

I do think however that it is going to be hell having both the I-75/I-475 and the I-75/I-16 interchanges under construction at the same time. If you think it is bad now, I just know there is going to be some serious traffic conjestion during the construction phase of these two interchanges.

I was under the impression that I-475 would be fininshed by the time work started on I-16/I-75. Im not possitive though. Also does anyone know the status on the study on making 475 somewhat of a loop around the city. (i.e. I-285 in atlanta). I was told by an engineer that it wouldnt be exactly like atlnata's bypass but something to the same effect.

I was under the impression that I-475 would be fininshed by the time work started on I-16/I-75. Im not possitive though. Also does anyone know the status on the study on making 475 somewhat of a loop around the city. (i.e. I-285 in atlanta). I was told by an engineer that it wouldnt be exactly like atlnata's bypass but something to the same effect.

Oh I wasn't aware of that dougtha1. Since I live in Atlanta I had heard differently. Maybe the answer to both of your questions could be found on the GDOT website, you think?

The GDOT is so unpredictable about projects and changing schedules and someone once told me that the DOT stands for: DUMB ON TRAFFIC!! :lol:

Oh I wasn't aware of that dougtha1. Since I live in Atlanta I had heard differently. Maybe the answer to both of your questions could be found on the GDOT website, you think?

The GDOT is so unpredictable about projects and changing schedules and someone once told me that the DOT stands for: DUMB ON TRAFFIC!! :lol:

Yeh basically!! Just widen the roads out Wazoo! Rail from Macon to Atlanta should be well into construction now. DOT cant see long term for some reason. I work in Macon and Atlanta and im in Atlanta about 3 time a week. A train ride with decent travel time would be very benificial to me.

Yeh basically!! Just widen the roads out Wazoo! Rail from Macon to Atlanta should be well into construction now. DOT cant see long term for some reason. I work in Macon and Atlanta and im in Atlanta about 3 time a week. A train ride with decent travel time would be very benificial to me.

And just imagine if Georgia had high speed trains like what operate in Europe and Japan. That would be so great between Atlanta and Macon!!

Hey you can always dream!!

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Designs for the I-16/75 Interchange changes as of Dec 2007....

Interchange3.jpg

interchange2.jpg

interchange1.jpg

The GDOT is really moving on this project. It will certainly help the traffic with more lanes and those "Flyover" bridges at the I-16 interchange, and rebuilding the I-75/I-16 interchange where 16 splits off heading towards downtown, and I-75 heading southbound. And certainly but not least better access to and from The Shoppes At River Crossing

Archived