Pendleton, SC

GSP Tiger

If you wish to break from the ordinary from Clemson and Anderson, Pendleton is a historic place to visit. Perhaps the upstate's oldest incorporated city, Pendleton has seen action from the Revolution and Civil War periods. Its city square is nicely laid out with nifty shops and cafes. Two plantation homes, including Ashtabula (spelling?), are located eastward on SC-88.

Anything new happening there?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pendleton is a really great town. The historic center is truely a gem in the Upstate and South Carolina. Quite a few good restaurants. There is a good restaurant on Exchange St. I think its called the Exchange St Grill. Could be wrong though.

The majority of the activity in Pendleton is in the form of residential construction, perhaps a few subdivisions.

• 4 months later...

What do you think is the motivation or psychology behind letting go of the local policing?

Pendleton is a very charming town. Unfortunately (in my opinion) it has also caused significant problems for growth in Anderson Co. Ironically - this could be part of it's charm.

Anyway, it's probably the most logical place for major development growth (besides Hartwell lake) in the county, but the town really resists growth. I think I remember when BMW was first looking at the area, Pendleton was their first choice. When the neighbors protested, they moved their sites to Spartanburg. I could be wrong about that, but that's my memory.

What I'm getting at is: I wonder if Pendleton giving up their local policing is a way of beginning the process of saying "Okay - we know we're going to have to develop and we know we can't afford to police it." Is this Pendleton giving up their hold on the small town?

I doubt Pendleton is letting go of tis town. It is reaching a point where it must grow and simplify services where needed.

Consolidating with the Anderson County sherriff's office will leave Pendleton with the same police coverage and money saved. The sherriff's office gains more manpower to send out into other parts of the county when needed.

I heard that its because of money problems. Pendleton will always be a small town, but they need to embrace the growth they are getting from Clemson and Anderson. They need to figure out how to get more people to stay in their limits so they don't have to hike service fees and axe critical services like Police.

If it is because of money problems and lack of growth, Pendleton surely needs to examine itself. It cannot bring in funds to run operations if it does not aggressively grow.

I think there was a large scale residential community in the planning that would bring over 500 residences, maybe more. It was thought to double the size of the municipality's population. Does anyone know about that?

If it is because of money problems and lack of growth, Pendleton surely needs to examine itself. It cannot bring in funds to run operations if it does not aggressively grow.

I think there was a large scale residential community in the planning that would bring over 500 residences, maybe more. It was thought to double the size of the municipality's population. Does anyone know about that?

I think I do know what you're talking about. Called something like Pendleton Station maybe? If this is it, then it's coming along nicely. I'd say its first residents might be living there by the end of the year.

Do you know which highway or road Pendleton Station is located on/off of? I would like to check it out and note its progress.

I don't but I have some funny directions I could give you...

If you are leaving Clemson toward Anderson on 76(?). Turn left at the Twisted Spoke, haha. This road ends at a stop sign intersection with another road which will take you to the town of Pendleton if you go left. Anyway, right infront of you is the development.

Haha, I think I might have made that sound kind of difficult. But basically take a left at the Twisted Spoke, which will be on the right, and follow that til it ends. And this is infront of you. :thumbsup:

I happened by Pendleton Station a few weeks ago and from what I saw on their sign, it looks to be a very nice development with residential and retail in an "urban like" setting....although in a quite rural area. I was very suprised something like this was going up in the middle of just nowhere, (although it is relatively close to Clemson and Anderson.)

• 1 year later...

I believe the new proposal for Pendleton Station is just to finish the houses that are currently under construction. Don't know if people are in favor of it or not. Didn't hear.

I believe there is a "Grand Opening" celebration this week for Merchants Gate a residential community close to the town square. I went to the website, but all the photos were down, so didn't get much of a feel. Merchants Gate

Archived