Is The Midlands Area headed for a boom

803metlife

With all the developments going on lately it would seem as though the city is destined for something great. Everytime you pick up the paper or watch the news you hear of some kind of development going on in the midlands area. To be honest it feels like something big is happening to the city right before our eyes. Which brings me to the question is the midlands area headed for a boom? The name columbia is definetly starting to have a different meaning that it did 10yrs ago. The Columbia area is starting to be a hot market and it's very noticeable. Do you think in the area is headed towards a boom??

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With all the developments going on lately it would seem as though the city is destined for something great. Everytime you pick up the paper or watch the news you hear of some kind of development going on in the midlands area. To be honest it feels like something big is happening to the city right before our eyes. Which brings me to the question is the midlands area headed for a boom? The name columbia is definetly starting to have a different meaning that it did 10yrs ago. The Columbia area is starting to be a hot market and it's very noticeable. Do you think in the area is headed towards a boom??

I agree, 803. I've lived in Columbia for 33 years and I've never seen as many different developments under construction as there are now. Metro Columbia grew by 75% in the 20 year period 1960 to 1980. I wouldn't be surprised to see the same kind of growth (or larger) in the 2000-2020 time period. That would put our metro area over 1.1 million in 2020.

In 1995 I came here from Phila looking for property to buy to retire in. The realtor I was dealing with thought I was nuts when I told her I wanted a property within walking distance of the capitol. She told me without reservation that nobody lived that close to the university and the capitol except students and they didn't have much of a choice. No real people wanted to live in the heart of Columbia.

Ten years later I am happily retired and living within walking distance of the capitol...... she thinks I am some sort of fortune teller.

To shorten a very long story, I saw the potential here in 1995 and I have NOT been disappointed! The development in Columbia was showing the signs then of a future dynamic city. I wanted to be part of that. Our city leadership showed that they were interested in building and maintaining the infrastructure that ALL dynamic cities must have to become their potential.

YEA, Mayor Bob! Now if we could just get some brains on city council and get a strong mayor system in place, we will most definitely be on our way.

.................................................................. :thumbsup:

In 1995 I came here from Phila looking for property to buy to retire in. The realtor I was dealing with thought I was nuts when I told her I wanted a property within walking distance of the capitol. She told me without reservation that nobody lived that close to the university and the capitol except students and they didn't have much of a choice. No real people wanted to live in the heart of Columbia.

Ten years later I am happily retired and living within walking distance of the capitol...... she thinks I am some sort of fortune teller.

To shorten a very long story, I saw the potential here in 1995 and I have NOT been disappointed! The development in Columbia was showing the signs then of a future dynamic city. I wanted to be part of that. Our city leadership showed that they were interested in building and maintaining the infrastructure that ALL dynamic cities must have to become their potential.

YEA, Mayor Bob! Now if we could just get some brains on city council and get a strong mayor system in place, we will most definitely be on our way.

.................................................................. :thumbsup:

I moved here in 1984 from Washington DC. I was born in SC and lived in DC only 5 years, but 1984 was the first time I lived in Columbia. Even back then I saw the ground work being laid. If it had not been for city leaders who were determined to save the city as opposed to letting it dry up so that the Columbia area became a donut, we would not be seeing what we are seeing today. The slow business community has finally waked up and now the city can start to focus more on building infrastructure as opposed to spending so much for seed money to get the city center jump-started. There are projects that are not yet coming out of the ground that I am feeling frustrated over, but I have always called Columbia the 5-year city, because it always seems there are several projects in the works at any given time that within 5 years will change the look of the city dramatically. It's sure to become exponential in the near future.

• 2 years later...

Here's an article about a project that has been underway for about a year, not a physical one but an intangible one. The project seeks to take Columbia from being a good city to being a great one, not just to the local yokos but objectively. The article is about a recent survey that 1000 people responded to about Columbia's strengths and weaknesses.

A Raleigh think tank organization conducted the survey, and there are some interesting findings. For instance, while half of the college students who responded to the survey plan to leave Columbia when they graduate, most of the respondents aged 26 to 40 plan to stay. The article doesn't put a percentage figure to the word "most." The executive director of the think tank, Southern Growth, said the survey showed that "once people get to know you, they love you, and that's a pretty good thing. You've got a great foundation."

There are, however, some weaknesses, whether perceived or real, and there is a plan to address the weaknesses one by one.

http://www.thestate.com/business/story/598437.html

Archived