Greensboro is 'Honest'

DigitalSky

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/livi...on/13624558.htm

When Hurricane Katrina forced Fox to cancel "American Idol" auditions in Memphis, Tenn., Greensboro was added to the talent hunt. Judge Randy Jackson says he's glad it was.

"Greensboro, North Carolina, was an eye-opener for all of us," says Jackson, who returns Tuesday for season five. "It's an honest town -- not as affected as New York or L.A."

It's good Gso will get facetime when Idol starts

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess in the big cities like LA and New York, there is alot of hustle and bussle and people are rude. In Greensboro its very laid back, people are very friendly. Greensboro will definatetly get some face time on American Idol which premiers this coming tuesday. Images of the city will likely be displayed on tv screens across America so its good publicity for Greensboro and the timing is perfect for that kind of publicity. I heard that alot of people from North Carolina and the Triad area made it to the Hollywood round so it could look very promising that the next American Idol could be another North Carolinian. This time it should be a winner from Winston-Salem. Greensboro and High Point have already had their fame on the show. But Paula Randy and Simon all said that the Greensboro auditions was one of the best for this season. They heard alot of unique and great voices. But I guess what Rnady meant was that the people here just try to be themselves and not trying to be another Whitney Houston or other famous singers that have already made their mark.

Just a little preview of whats to come. We may have a contestant from Greensboro that could make it very far into the show like to the final 12. According to news sources, Simon Cowell said in an interview that there was one single person from Greensboro that was worth the whole trip, so well see what happens. The Greensboro Auditions wont air until Jan 24 next tuesday

Just a little preview of whats to come. We may have a contestant from Greensboro that could make it very far into the show like to the final 12. According to news sources, Simon Cowell said in an interview that there was one single person from Greensboro that was worth the whole trip, so well see what happens. The Greensboro Auditions wont air until Jan 24 next tuesday

Gosh we seem to dominate that show don't we? You know with Clay Aiken <_< and Fantasia.

Well this is interesting. FOX 8 News show one of the contestants from Greensboro and he is really really good, hes good enough to be in the final 12. Anyway he auditioned in Denver before they announced the auditions in Greensboro. He was shown singing on the national promo for the show and at the bottom of the screen it said "Will he be the next American Idol?" There could potentially be two contestants from Greensboro in the final 12. The other unknown from Greensboro, Simon said this one person was worth the trip. Usually when the judges say something like that, that person ends up in the final 12. Wouldnt that be something if two people from Greensboro made it to the final 2. :shades:

millions of TV screens all across America was tuned into Greensboro tonight. The las time Greensboro got so much attention on TV was the 1998 East Coast NCAA Regional Basketball Tournament and the 1974 Final Four Tournament championship game. Greensboro's skyline was show several times. This all started in May of 2004 when Coliseum shots of the viewing party for Fantasia Barrino was shown Nationally on American Idol Finale night. While such publicity is the norm for cities such as Atlanta or New York its a big deal for Greensboro. It helps get the city's name out there and that Charlotte and Raleigh arent the only cities in NC. If someone from Greensboro makes it to the final thats even more publicity. AS Mayor Keith Holiday said its publicity you cant buy. Here are the people from the Triad and Piedmont that made it past the Greensboro Auditions and went to Hollywood.

Ahbleza.jpg

Chris.jpg

Jacob.jpg

Kendra.jpg

William.jpg

William_M.jpg

Kellie.jpg

Heather.jpg

Halicia.jpg

Amy.jpg

Yea I didnt like how that kept saying small town. They made it sound like we were a town with one stop light yet they showed urban scenes in Greensboro. What they were saying didnt match what they showed. But I guess in the perspective of someone who is from New York or LA it is a small town. But they could have said small city. If you are going to cll Greensboro a small town then youd have to call other cities of similar size a small town like Raleigh, Richmond and Birmingham. A city of 235,000 is not a small town. A town of 2,000 is. People in the AOL chat rooms were wonder how all those people flew into Greensboro. They had no idea Greensboro had an airport let alone an international airport. I guess I f you never heard of Greensboro before, its no different from some small town in Alabama.

I think the portrayl was a bit trashy though.

LOL It didnt help matters when they showed a water tower with Greensboro's name on it. Thats a classic image of a really small town. When a girl from New York City was show auditioning one guy in the chat room said "what the heck is she doing in Greensboro"

Well NC has always had problems getting pass the stereotypes. It took the longest time before people recognized that Charlotte was a major city. Even today when people say Charlotte they have to attached NC after it is if no one knows where Charlotte is. I think its time that people just say "Charlotte" like they do Atlanta.

The mayor was saying how the advertisement was going to be great for the city...but do you think people will have the typical stereotype of a NC city like G'boro confirmed b/c of the image American idol portrayed? They could have shown alot more urban scenes...Elm Street, I-40 around the High Point Road Area. The only reason I'm concerned is that on Fox they showed how the city was excited about the publicity as if it would draw more businesses to the city. If I was a developer I would be looking for new and upcomming cities not small towns to invest in but, I guess we have to hope that most developers have more common sense than just taking a simple T.V. show's opinion about a city.

I thought they portrayed Greensboro quite well. They didnt just show the water tower, but also showed many other areas of Greensboro, including one of the brick walls as you enter Greensboro. Town/City, I dont think the terms really convey anything differently. Personally I think they did a good job at not trying to fit Greensboro into any kind of steriotype, but held them up next to any other location they are visiting as a good place to hold auditions(and for folks to visit). I was proud to see my hometown displayed so prominently on national television in such a way.

I don't like how they kept saying G'boro was a town...they should have said Small city but not a town -_- It didn't make sense to show a skyline if they were goin to call it a town.

Do you think they would have called Raleigh a town?

You are right they kept calling it a small town when greensboro is about the 83rd largest city in the us. :unsure:

You are talking semantics. Town and City both can be interchanged with one another to mean the same thing. What you are feeling slighted for is just a perception, but not a big one. Because I live in the countryside, I can easily say I am going to town to mean I am either going to Greensboro or Burlington. I could say I am going to the city for the day-but it doesnt sound right. Perhaps AI was trying to say town to endure it to the American people. Greensboro is and can be both-a city and a town..as they both mean the same thing-which basically is to identify the area from what is rural.

I notice whenever they mention North Carolina on television and on movies a lot of the time, they present North Carolina in a way that is stereotyped, very rural, small town, unchange, simple way of life. I'm not saying that rural or small towns are bad, but there is more in North Carolina than just rural, small town living. I know some people I've been around that believe North Carolina is really that way. About Greensboro, Greensboro has a population of over 200,000 and is maintain in a city way and has city amenities. There is a difference between city and town, in way of how the city is governed and what it provides.

Archived