Greensboro is 'Honest'

DigitalSky

There were a few times when Ryan said "small town" he emphisized "smaaall" as if Greensboro was really really small. Then after that they showed the water tower shot while playing that small town country music. I would have like to seen more of the real Greensboro. They should have shown some downtown night life scenes on Elm Street, First Horizon Park and even the Koury Convention Center.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a difference between city and town, in way of how the city is governed and what it provides.

Not really. I live in a "smaller town"(than Greensboro), and the government is much as that in Greensboro, just much smaller as the population is less. We have services such as a police force, fire fighters as well as a library and water and sewer etc etc. Governmental/town/councel meetings are held regularly. I do not lack anything out here (besides the awful traffic of Greensboro) by living out here that I would have if I lived in Greensboro's town limits.

There were a few times when Ryan said "small town" he emphisized "smaaall" as if Greensboro was really really small. Then after that they showed the water tower shot while playing that small town country music. I would have like to seen more of the real Greensboro. They should have shown some downtown night life scenes on Elm Street, First Horizon Park and even the Koury Convention Center.

I guess I didnt see or hear anything negative.(and still do not) I actually thought they did a good job. Personally I do not think that the things you listed really ARE the REAL Greensboro. It is a part of a whole-but does not define the Greensboro I know and love....and grew up in. I would think just the fact we have a coliseum would indicate to anyone watching that Greensboro is not some hole in the wall. If you think about it-it wasnt a show about Greensboro, just a show held there. The emphasis is different. Greensboro was JUST the backdrop for the auditions, not the main event. They shot some things that they probably saw coming and going from town just to have some background. The fact Greensboro was used or mentioned at all is amazing.

Greensboro isn't a big city, but it sure isn't a small town either. I've met people from other parts of the country that have visited or moved here and were surprised that it is not as small as they thought. They even thought Wilmington or Asheville was larger than Greensboro. I think the term "Growing southern city" would have been more fitting than "small town".

jasoniman24,

You are certainly correct. I have also worked with people who move to Greensboro from other areas of the country and were also shock how big Greensboro is. I guess there is a perception out there that Greensboro is a town like Hickory or Boone, NC. I'll admit that "Greensboro" even sounds like a small town name. Greensboro is on the map in terms of the south eastern U.S. but Greensboro is not on the map to those who live in other areas of the country. Alot of people only know the names of a few cities in NC which are typically Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, Asheville and Wilmington. The Triad has a challenge in putting itself on the map nationally and the Triad's 3 biggest cities are going to have to work together to do it. Enough with the rivalries. There isnt a magic pill thats going to make it happen. There are alot of things that has to happen to put the area on the map.

Winston-Salem should build on its stregnth of the arts and try to attract more film making industries to the area. Maybe one day Winston-Salem could become the "Hollywood of the eastcoast". Winston-Salem has the resources to make that happen. Winston-Salem needs to take advantage of the fact that more film companies are making movies in North Carolina. the reason is becasue of the many different natural and man made back drops such as the mountains, the coast, small towns and urban cities. Winston-SAlem can be in the postition to be the base of that industry in NC. Winston-Salem already host events such as the Black Film Festival which is a hollywood stlye event that attract many well known african-american actors and actresses. Winston-Salem can build on this and attract more events of this type. i'd like to see a major movie studio come to Winston-Salem.

Greensboro should build on its stregnth as a place for leasure and fun and promote tourism and conventions.

Greensboro already has a resort hotel and one of the country's most popular waterparks, also a big convention hotel with more thatn 1,000 rooms. Maybe the chamber of commerce should put together a campain that would help attract more leasure and tourism type development. I remember several years back a company Double Diamond Resorts had proposed to build a resort hotel/communitiy in Greensboro with a golf course similar to the Grandover Resort. The project was supposed to inlude time sharing homes but apparently the developer backed out when they found out about Greensboro's water shortage problems. Greensboro would have a second resort hotel. Thats another thing. In order to attract development we need to make sure our infrastruction is in place and Greensboro is a little weak in that area. The biggest example is the lack of prepared land for large developments such as Dell. The city has done a poor job getting land ready for such developments. Greensboro's water situation looks very bright with the Randleman Dam construction underway so water wont be a problem any more.

High Point should obviously build on the home furnishings market and figure out a way to make the city a year round destination in that industry instead of just a few weeks out of the year during the annual market

FInally there are alot of opportunities with the proposed "Heart of the Triad" development which includes thousands of acres between Greensboro, Winston-Salem and High Point.

These are the kinds of things that can put the Triad on the map. Getting our name out there by shows such as American Idol and events such as the ACC tournament and PGA tournament does help. But attracting distribution air cargo hubs and comapnies like Dell isnt going to do it alone.

Archived