New downtown townhomes

it's just dave

These are the townhomes that are going in at 4th and Harrison (I think). Anyway, they're just north of the railroad and a block or so from the Bicentennial Mall. This area appears ripe for things like this. The Harrison Lofts were to be across the street. Harrison will morph into something else, I'm sure, but there lots of land in that area which would make for a great neighborhood. Hopefully, this is just the beginning.

And to think, you can walk to Municipal in under 5 minutes. Bullnanza!

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is so funny is that there is still a homeless encampment right behind these condos. I hope these do good. My only concern is that the railroad tracks are right next to the condos and they run some early morning trains through there.

On a side note, the property they were going to put the Harrison Lofts on is now for sale. I wonder if they have scraped the entire plan now instead of just revamping it.

Good shots, IJDave,

Craighead Development is handling these condos (I forget the name at this late Sunday night hour). They will have a component known as a "British mews." It involves, if I'm not mistaken, flats over garages.

Harrison Lofts project has officially been scrapped. But I foresee something being built there with a start date by this time next year.

WW

Nah. Just neat knowing that the option is there. Speaking of ICON. Casey and I are leaning more toward the Sig Tower for a new home. She is getting into real estate and would love to have a pad in that tower. Of course I would too. muhahhahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

Nah. Just neat knowing that the option is there. Speaking of ICON. Casey and I are leaning more toward the Sig Tower for a new home. She is getting into real estate and would love to have a pad in that tower. Of course I would too. muhahhahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

Just remember, if you get a condo in the Signature, then the forum will be meeting at your pad all the time. :lol:

This is so wild -- I went out on the balcony Sunday and looked over that way and saw all this new construction and thought, 'wow, where did those come from?!' and 'where have I been?'! Glad to know I'm not the only one a little surprised!

David

My only concern is that the railroad tracks are right next to the condos and they run some early morning trains through there.

I live next to the railroad tracks in Knoxville at the beginning of a railyard...my window is no more than 75 feet from the tracks. Trains come through all the time at all times of the day, they are relatively loud and you can feel them as they pass through. However, it doesn't affect my sleep and I love trains. :)

It shouldn't have a huge effect on them...the fact that those are on the "wrong side" of downtown might, though.

Its all about the pioneers who will buy those up and make it "acceptable" to buy, build, and live increasingly on that side of the tracks. I applaud those types of folks, because it takes guts to go pay out money, in many cases big money, to be the ones to take the risk to really remake an area into a desirable and trendy place again! Without those type of folks with vision for not what is, but what can be, alot of great things in the urban enviroment, and other areas of life, would never happen.

Its all about the pioneers who will buy those up and make it "acceptable" to buy, build, and live increasingly on that side of the tracks. I applaud those types of folks, because it takes guts to go pay out money, in many cases big money, to be the ones to take the risk to really remake an area into a desirable and trendy place again! Without those type of folks with vision for not what is, but what can be, alot of great things in the urban enviroment, and other areas of life, would never happen.

How right you are. We are all indebted to those types of people. And don't forget the developers as well who have both the vision and guts to build in a new "wrong side of the tracks" area. There is a greater risk in doing that. However, if they're right the rewards are huge. Let's all hope these developers and these buyers are right.

I've always thought of the wrong side of the tracks as meaning moving into an area with questionable neighbors, businesses, and such. Frankly, there's nothing ON that side of the tracks to qualify it as really being wrong. There's a few government offices, but at this juncture, those people and those living on at Riverfront will be the only ones around in that immediate area. It's almost like living on the edge of a big field. To the north, you have Germantown a few blocks away and downtown two blocks away. I wouldn't call these people pioneers for moving into these, I'd just call them among the lucky firsts to be able to do so. Besides, having the Bicentennial Mall, Farmer's Market, the Cumberland Greenway and the Stockyard Restaurant a two-minute walk away is quite the plus.

Moving into East Nashville and Sylvan Park 20 years ago or moving into 12South more recently was pioneering, imo. If these people are pioneers, I see them more in the light of a wagon train settling in Kansas. :)

^ :D All I was trying to say was that I would not think anyplace north of the tracks in the Germantown/Bi-Centiennel Park area would still be considered too close to Jefferson Ave., too prone to have sketchy folks from downtown and railroad roaming around, etc., with too few folks/traffic around on a regular basis on the street to make it feel "safe" for a good many of people who may later be interested in moving into that part of town once the "pioneers" settle it and make it more desirable by showing its okay to live there. Mainly I think people would fear property crime in that area, as I know the state parking lots are very prone to have and are in that immediate area, but with more people in the area I would think the police woudl up their patrols to curb any property crime issues for those new residents, which in turn would allay fears of newbies looking to come into the area who might otherwise be fearful.

We'll just call 'em gutsy. I will admit that while I was taking pictures down there, I'd left my keys on the seat of my truck...and that made me not stray too far away. I'll waffle a little and give in to the fact that "most" people aren't like us, out and about with our more in-tune knowledge of the true nature of an area, and say that sure, many people wouldn't think about living there. But I feel they'd be overdoing the fear factor a bit.

I still work with some of those people who haven't even been downtown in years because of the old stereotypical thoughts about lurking humans.

I live next to the railroad tracks in Knoxville at the beginning of a railyard...my window is no more than 75 feet from the tracks. Trains come through all the time at all times of the day, they are relatively loud and you can feel them as they pass through. However, it doesn't affect my sleep and I love trains. :)

It shouldn't have a huge effect on them...the fact that those are on the "wrong side" of downtown might, though.

If the north side is the 'wrong side' of downtown Nashville, I must say I've enjoyed being part of it the past three years and don't plan to move. I would guess the other residents who joined the huge influx of people to the Germantown/Hope Gardens neighborhoods feel the same way. It's all relative anyway; you could say the same thing about people who are on the 'wrong side' of the interstate, the 'wrong side' of the state (like east TN, yuck!) etc.. I'm just kidding tho, i love the mountains.

We know our neighborhood (Hope Gardens) is kind of in transition and there have been some issues with petty thefts and the like, but we've been there for nearly 2 years and haven't looked back.

In fact, we've toyed with the idea of moving to Signature Tower, but have a hard time imagining leaving where we are! We do kind of consider ourselves pioneers [ok, maybe semi-demi-hemi-pioneers :) after all, we aren't the 1st to move there ] and are proud of our side of the tracks!

Speaking of the tracks -- one our favorite things about the place is watching the trains go by... granted, we're not 75 feet from the tracks!

David

We know our neighborhood (Hope Gardens) is kind of in transition and there have been some issues with petty thefts and the like, but we've been there for nearly 2 years and haven't looked back.

In fact, we've toyed with the idea of moving to Signature Tower, but have a hard time imagining leaving where we are! We do kind of consider ourselves pioneers [ok, maybe semi-demi-hemi-pioneers :) after all, we aren't the 1st to move there ] and are proud of our side of the tracks!

Speaking of the tracks -- one our favorite things about the place is watching the trains go by... granted, we're not 75 feet from the tracks!

David

IMO, you are a pioneer in living in Hope Gardens. It's a wonderful looking community; but, frankly, there are many who would no go there because of its proximity to some of the higher crime areas in the city. My hat is off to you for showing to many that living in such an area is a good thing. Thanks to you, I'm sure there are many who will follow, some who might not have considered living there otherwise.

I have a dream, Lexy. My dream is that you win the lottery, or somehow in another way find yourself in big money. You then decide to buy a 55th story penthouse in the Signature Tower, and this becomes our gathering place for the monthly forum meets. Oh yes! I have a dream!

Archived