Guilin, China - Parks & Urban Scene

hkskyline

I thought it was about time to do some scenery touring in China. Guilin immediately came into mind. Its limestone rock formations are very unique and beautiful, so my friend and I decided to fly up there to see for ourselves.

More photos in my new Guilin gallery at :

http://www.geocities.com/asiaglobe/gallery/guilin.htm

IMG_1408.jpg

IMG_1402.jpg

IMG_1416.jpg

IMG_1418.jpg

IMG_1425.jpg

Guilin is not a skyscraper city. It's a scenic city, and as such, tall buildings are not really allowed to spoil the view.

IMG_1430.jpg

These are as tall as they get.

IMG_1437.jpg

IMG_1450.jpg

IMG_1451.jpg

Due to the geological formations, there are a lot of such caves throughout Guilin.

IMG_1455.jpg

Too bad it was a dark day.

IMG_1529.jpg

Many Chinese cities have pedestrianized shopping streets, and Guilin is no exception.

IMG_1467.jpg

IMG_1469.jpg

IMG_1468.jpg

IMG_1484.jpg

IMG_1473.jpg

IMG_1474.jpg

There were a number of such stalls selling food along the street. I was a little afraid of trying out these things. I don't know how well my stomach could take these local delicacies.

IMG_1485.jpg

IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_1539.jpg

There is an underground shopping centre underneath this main city plaza, named 'Little Hong Kong' :

IMG_1494.jpg

The plaza :

IMG_1490.jpg

Guilin was one of the first parts of China to open up to foreign tourists. Many Westerners touring China stop in Guilin.

IMG_1517.jpg

IMG_1523.jpg

These 12 girls are the modern version of traditional Chinese music.

IMG_1537.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice pics, the only pics I had seen before of the Guilin area was the limestone 'monoliths'. Nice to see some of the rest of the area and the city itself. I have a question about your last pic with the ad. Could you tell me who that is? I noticed some pipas in there. I've got tickets to a Wu Man concert in February. The small 'orchestra' of traditional Chinese instruments in the billboard is intriguing to me.

Nice pics, the only pics I had seen before of the Guilin area was the limestone 'monoliths'. Nice to see some of the rest of the area and the city itself. I have a question about your last pic with the ad. Could you tell me who that is? I noticed some pipas in there. I've got tickets to a Wu Man concert in February. The small 'orchestra' of traditional Chinese instruments in the billboard is intriguing to me.

Here is the website of the 12 Girls Band : http://www.twelvegirlsband.com/

They play traditional Chinese instrumental music.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived