Which urban area is the queen of Southern, Central,

bigboyz05

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way he phrased it, I wasn't completely sure he didn't mean the one with the most transvestites.

Well, clearly I can see he hasn't hung out at the truck stops in West Memphis, or that would have been numero uno for East Ark! j/k :lol:

• 11 months later...

While the list is accurate, what intrigues me more is the "extreme" location of each of these sites.

For instance:

Northern - Fayetteville. Well, there's a lot of northern Arkansas, and Fayetteville is at the very edge of it. As I like to say, it's still living in the South, but barely. There's a vast expanse of Northern Arkansas between Fayetteville and Jonesboro with no real large cities.

Western: Ft. Smith - still in Arkansas, but again just barely. And couldn't you argue that Fayetteville is also in Western Arkansas?

Southern: Texarkana - still in Arkansas, but just barely. In fact, half of it isn't. And if you head due east, there's not much of anything until Jackson, MS (El Dorado excepted).

Eastern: Jonesboro - so far north, why doesn't it hold the northern title? It's closer to center than Fayetteville is. Head south and there's nothing until Monroe, LA.

So, I just think it's odd how the major metro areas of Arkansas are placed. Little Rock is decidedly at the center, but then everything else is as far away as possible. Maybe that's common in other states, and I understand why cities locate next to state lines. It's just weird how things are laid out, to me.

• 3 weeks later...
While the list is accurate, what intrigues me more is the "extreme" location of each of these sites.

So, I just think it's odd how the major metro areas of Arkansas are placed. Little Rock is decidedly at the center, but then everything else is as far away as possible. Maybe that's common in other states, and I understand why cities locate next to state lines. It's just weird how things are laid out, to me.

Archived