More green for Market Square?

pointbreeze

The PG had this article about the mayor's thoughts on turning Mkt Sq pedestrian only and adding more grass. This is a great idea. In fact, I had the same thoughts when I was down there not long ago. This is supposed to be the hub of downtown, yet cars speed through and, as stated in the article, there are 546 buses going through each day.

With more people moving downtown, this is a great idea.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remaking Market Square would be great! Right now it is primarily used to eat lunch in and all the rest of the time, for selling drugs. Closing down a couple streets might work, but I'm not sure about all of them.

As for O'Conner wanting "to see two or three more small parks Downtown," I do not agree with that at all. Downtown Pittsburgh is a relatively small area and we should keep it as dense as we can. Why add more grass when Point State Park is no more than a 15 minute walk away?

Yeah all those busses to be rerouted . . . I wouldn't want that job :D

I agree Chucka, though Market Square is unique--AND HISTORICAL!--what we should be doing is making the park space that is already downtown jewels in the city. Mellon Square, the land opposite of City/County, Blvd. of the Allies, the Mon Wharf, Point State Park. We don't need as much "open space" just beautification and effort behind what we already have. The Penn Avenue corridor is an excellent example, the WORST parts of downtown should appear as Penn Avenue--that should be the focus, that and integrating Point State Park more into the daily hustle and bustle of the city. People don't come downtown to canoe in Schenley Park or North Park--they go to those places--but there is tons of room to improve the asthetics of what is downtown.

More murals would be excellent as well, I still hate the fact that they tore down that 10 story tall sports mural for the Lazarus.

I like Murphy's plan to improve the riverfront with an urban-style trail along the water's edge, boat access, connecting Point Park to the convention center, etc. One project with no trade-offs and many benefits. It would be nice to have Market Square free of cars, no doubt about it, but that should be left as the reward to the mayor who puts in a T extention into Oakland...

I like your thinking on that Urban! You know what they are going to come back with, it's cheaper and easier to budget some greenery then a T-extension . . . and we can have the former done in time for the ASG but I like that preformanced-based legacy spoils you thought of!

I like your thinking on that Urban! You know what they are going to come back with, it's cheaper and easier to budget some greenery then a T-extension . . . and we can have the former done in time for the ASG but I like that preformanced-based legacy spoils you thought of!

Thanks, but I wish I could claim credit for the idea. I think you're referring to Blueblackcat's post :) .

Yeah that's what I meant . . . Blueblackcat!

Thanks for correcting me on that . . . we need an accurate Cincinnati board after all, now I have to get ready for the Pirates game in Denver tommorrow for the Stanley Cup Championship :P

Yes my brain hopped a flight to Barbados for the winter :P

Archived