Revitalizing Greenwood

gs3

An article about Greenwoods plan to revitalize downtown. I found it interesting that they say in 10 years Greenwoods downtown will be a "mini Greenville". Nice to see cities within SC taking cues from Greenville.

Greenwood has some great architecture......I can really see it having a downtown renaissance and wish it well! :thumbsup:

http://www.indexjournal.com/news/20060101a_n.html

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't been to Uptown Greenwood in several years, but the last times I went, once in the late '80's, once in the early '90's and I think once again, later in the '90's, it didn't need any revitialization. The was a distinct lack of substandard buildings, etc. There was significant streetscaping, lots of parking, lots of businesses, good landscaping, etc.

I wonder if it has declined since then, or if it just needs some new blood/freshing up.

Anyone got pics, or been there lately?

• 2 weeks later...

I moved these posts from a Greenville thread. I think this topic is worthy of its own thread.

Greenwood is an interesting place. This town has the 'widest Main St' in America becuase it used to be bisected by some railroad tracks, which have since been removed. Greenwood has a unique challenge facing it. It will be difficult to get people to move back and forth bewteen either side of Main St.

The Emerald Triangle concept is a great one, that gets around this initial problem. It focuses on the Old Federal building's revitalization and the establishment of a restaurant/dining area downtown. Over time they think it will expand beyond that. The key thing is that this section of town is has a much more pedestrian friendly feel, and creates a better sense of place than Main St at this time.

Greenwood has some great architecture, and a larger downtown that you might think. On either side of Main St there are these strips of facade that create and 'arcade' along the sides of the original architecture fronting Main St. I was told that the city did this in the 80's in an unsuccessful attempt to bring back downtown. They are justnow paying them off. It looks like an old motel siding, but fixed up. Not ugly, but I am certain that the city would look much better if they removed them.

That article is definately worth a read if you are into the renaissance of the center city. I did not know that Greenwood was an 'Uptown' city rather than a 'Downtown' one.

An image from that article:

20060101_np.jpg

I would also be interested to see any pics of Greenwood that you guys have.

• 1 year later...

Archived