L&C

AceMentor

With the viridian almost up, is anyone slightly disapointed that the former tallest building south of chicago will be blocked by a new tower from the southwestern view of the skyline? Although I am very glad it is going up, it will be sad that when I drive into d-town the L&C will be blocked. Thats just my opinion though.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AceM,

You raise a very valid question. I have talked to the Doorman of Poetry and others regarding this. Yes, it is a bit unfortunate. In an ideal world, V would have been built elsewhere on Church. The L&C is my favorite Nashville tower and the view driving or walking on Church east has now been forever blocked. But Viridian is a very key building that represents a "can-do" spirit. It's a positive project overall.

WW

With the viridian almost up, is anyone slightly disapointed that the former tallest building south of chicago will be blocked by a new tower from the southwestern view of the skyline? Although I am very glad it is going up, it will be sad that when I drive into d-town the L&C will be blocked. Thats just my opinion though.

Well I guess we can go ahead and say 'out with the old in with the new'. Personally, since that was the tallest building in the south in the 50s, I eold rather have seen a new tower that would be the tallest of the south blocking it rather than some condo tower but I guess we can't always get what we want. I feel kinda sorry for the people who work in the L&C who used to have a view but now have to look into someone's condo. But, as you said, at least the viridian is something significant to nashville and will be a good addition to our skyline :)

Fyi...no ones view will be blocked in the L&C. The whole side of the building touching the Viridian is mostly windowless. I believe its stairwells and elevator shafts. Same for that part of the Viridian.

Shot of DT from Shelby Street Bridge

dtfromshelby2.jpg

Within 5 years the L&C will be condos. The floorplate is only 6000 square feet. The 30th floor, where the observation deck is, is going to be a new restaurant. They are storing the original wood trim and panels and the 4000 square foot floor will be an upscale restaurant. It is going through a remodel since Lightning 100 moved to Marathon Villiage.

The floorplate is only 6000 square feet.

Wow, that's skinny!

I've heard the same thing proposed for the old Suntrust Building.

As the older office buildings get "Condo-ized", then there will be a better environment for the new office buildings like NCC2 and Giarratana's next big thing in the gulch.

What is this "next big thing in the gulch" you are talking about? :dontknow:

His property between Charlotte and Church in the gulch. The Polar Cold Storage buildings are there now. For a brief time, Giarratana had a conceptual diagram of what might go there (it was taken down) on his firm's website. In addition, he has described it as mixed use project. And there are some who believe that he'll put his original mixed-use plan for Signature there ultimately. No doubt, his plate is pretty full now, but he's apparently proceeding with planning for that property. Right now, nobody knows what will go there, but he left no doubt that it will be "big" (his word).

Tony has said the structures at 11th and church in the gulch will not exceed 25 stories. He also said he has no immediate plans to develope the property but we all know that can change with the blink of an eye. We all know Tony has a full plate right now so I wouldnt expect anymore word from this property until the Signature is sticking out of the ground.

Archived