The West End

gs3

I've been in that Life is Good Store a couple of times. The story there is that the "Life is Good" Merchandise section at Appalachian Outfitters got to be so popular that they decided to open a separate store featuring just this merchandise. Pretty cool location for it, I'll say. :thumbsup:

The Ballpark is definitely already impacting the area. :yahoo:

I suggest someone take pictures NOW, of the buildings that need renovation, so that as they rehab them, the 'before' and 'after' appearance can be shown.

Great idea vicupstate! :thumbsup: Some of these buildings are in such bad shape (as the ones above were), that before AND after photos would be unbelievable! I'll try to shoot some "before" and post soon.

a BBQ place downtown...this willbe good if it's on par with Henry's or Bucky's...but where exactly is it, i can't seem to place it (i recognize the window reflection though).

The BBQ place is going into the last building in this row of shops on Augusta Street, across from the old Delta Woodside office / Transit Authority. Currently it's front has bad white siding, which will obviously be redone, more inline with these other shops.

The BBQ place is going into the last building in this row of shops on Augusta Street, across from the old Delta Woodside office / Transit Authority. Currently it's front has bad white siding, which will obviously be redone, more inline with these other shops.

Nice, it will be within walking distance for me.....i hope it's better than Sticky Fingers

With all of the construction and renovation taking place in the West End, I thought it would be nice to start a Construction thread for all pictures and such in the subforum. Would you like this thread to become the new CONSTRUCTION THREAD: West End, or a new one to be created? It would not need to take the place of the ballpark and Fieldhouse threads, just give an organized place for the other smaller developments changing that area. Let me know, and I'll make it happen today. ;)

This building at 802 S. Main has recently been purchased for $950,000. The adjoining lot is for sale as well. I assume that since the building is staked off, that it sold without the adjoining vacant lot (shown on the left of the building in the pics). The seller was Reeves R.E. Investments and the buyer is Lynn S. Barwick, per the Gville Journal.

I wonder if the building will be renovated, or razed and replaced with a multi-story building. Maybe btoy can do some investigating.

post-511-1137955311_thumb.jpg

post-511-1137955350_thumb.jpg

post-511-1137955371_thumb.jpg

Here are pics of two other properties that are under renovation or construction. The first one is a multi-front commercial building on South Main a half a block BEYOND the ballpark. The other two are the housing project between County Square and Augusta Street.

I don't like the building in the first picture. Quite honestly it looks cheap and subburban- not downtown and certainly not West End. I'm dissapointed.

What exactly is the housing project? Will it be condos? apartments? houses?

I don't like the building in the first picture. Quite honestly it looks cheap and subburban- not downtown and certainly not West End. I'm dissapointed.

What exactly is the housing project? Will it be condos? apartments? houses?

While the building is rather plain, it is a big improvement over it's previous appearance. Also, it is built up to the sidewalk, so it certainly isn't suburban in that respect.

The housing project will be either 14 or 16 units. I can't remember exactly. They will be bungelow and craftsman style, but I don't know if they are detached or attached in groups. They are for sale units, and all of them are under contract. (I would imagine some will be flipped though). That is the extent of my knowledge.

btoy, thanks for the info. Do you know if any work will be done before a lease is signed, or will it be strictly renovate to suit?

Edited by vicupstate

While the building is rather plain, it is a big improvement over it's previous appearance. Also, it is built up to the sidewalk, so it certainly isn't suburban in that respect.

The housing project will be either 14 or 16 units. I can't remember exactly. They will be bungelow and craftsman style, but I don't know if they are detached or attached in groups. They are for sale units, and all of them are under contract. (I would imagine some will be flipped though). That is the extent of my knowledge.

btoy, thanks for the info. Do you know if any work will be done before a lease is signed, or will it be strictly renovate to suit?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

I have to agree with vicupstate. This is a vast improvement over how it had looked. It certainly doesn't have the aged appearance and character that most West End storefronts take on, but it will still be nice with a few additions. Take the photograph that vic provided and imagine it with awnings over each store front and perhaps a patio or sidewalk that's built up a little better along the street. Just imagine the possibilities for this building. :thumbsup:

Go to the front page of the Greenville News now: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage or here is one of the top stories: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....EWS01/601280322 Here's also another story about the West End: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....EWS01/601280309

-Finally, the Greenville News is getting the message.

Edited by g-man430