The West End

gs3

103605337_22e73c71c6.jpg

I borrowed this picture from one of RT's posts.

I was a little disappointed to read that they will be renovating this building rather than redeveloping this site. If anything does not fit in the west end, it is this big glass box stuck in the middle of the site, surrounded by parking. It would have been nice to see new buildings along Field St and Vardry St, with the parking on the interior. I could picture a mix of small scale retail with offices above. A sandwich shop or other eating establishment might work well being right across the street from the high school. The article does say that they are planning improvements to the outside of the building. Any thoughts?

I was a little disappointed to read that they will be renovating this building rather than redeveloping this site. If anything does not fit in the west end, it is this big glass box stuck in the middle of the site, surrounded by parking. It would have been nice to see new buildings along Field St and Vardry St, with the parking on the interior. I could picture a mix of small scale retail with offices above. A sandwich shop or other eating establishment might work well being right across the street from the high school. The article does say that they are planning improvements to the outside of the building. Any thoughts?

My understanding is that Prudential C. Dan Joyner plans to completely change the facade of this building to match the surrounding area (i.e. brick), so no more big glass box. However, I do agree with you that it would be great to see some mixed-use development along and fronting Field Street/Shoeless Joe Way with office space upstairs and some retail and food offerings downstairs along with some residential on the Vardry Street side, nearer the High School. That's a pretty good vision for this piece of property you have there, sc smitty! :thumbsup:

Keep in mind also that Shoeless Joe's home/museum will be put on the Augusta Street end of this property, too, near the railroad tracks.

Has there been any more talk about moving the transit bus depot to open this land up for further ballpark related development?

I've heard nothing recently, but I'll happily back the idea 100% to do so, as long as any new development is low on the horizon (1-2 floors) so as not to block the view of downtown from the ballpark. :thumbsup:

I've heard nothing recently, but I'll happily back the idea 100% to do so, as long as any new development is low on the horizon (1-2 floors) so as not to block the view of downtown from the ballpark. :thumbsup:

Right you are RT. :thumbsup: Nothing should ever block that view.

If anyone is interested in sitting through a zoning meeting:

The City of Greenville Board of Zoning Appeals will hold a Public Hearing on Thursday, March 16, 2006 at 4:00 p.m. in the 1st floor meeting room at City Hall, for the purpose of considering the following applications. (Note: Items are listed in the order they will appear on the agenda.)

S 06-03. Special exception to allow a restaurant with bar at 9 & 11 West Camperdown Way, zoned C-4, Central Business District (TMS # 70-1-25, -25.1 & -26). The applicant is Elliott Fowler for Oysters on the West End (864) 242-0099.

V 06-02. Variance to allow a pylon sign which exceeds the maximum allowed height and size for the West End baseball stadium at 945 South Main Street (TMS # 73-2-1.2). The applicant is Mark Browning (864) 277-7052.

If anyone is interested in sitting through a zoning meeting:

The City of Greenville Board of Zoning Appeals will hold a Public Hearing on Thursday, March 16, 2006 at 4:00 p.m. in the 1st floor meeting room at City Hall, for the purpose of considering the following applications. (Note: Items are listed in the order they will appear on the agenda.)

S 06-03. Special exception to allow a restaurant with bar at 9 & 11 West Camperdown Way, zoned C-4, Central Business District (TMS # 70-1-25, -25.1 & -26). The applicant is Elliott Fowler for Oysters on the West End (864) 242-0099.

V 06-02. Variance to allow a pylon sign which exceeds the maximum allowed height and size for the West End baseball stadium at 945 South Main Street (TMS # 73-2-1.2). The applicant is Mark Browning (864) 277-7052.

Thanks for the info wellen. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

DSCF0499.jpg

some of the workers said this is going to be a clothing story. Looks like a relatively simple up fit and should be open soon(1 to 2 months?).DSCF0498.jpg

These two building are in the west end also and they have started cleaning out the interior of them. They have also started on the new west end coffee building and survey stakes everywhere.

If anyone has time to take a walk in the west end during the day you will be amazed at the amount of work going on. The city is rebuilding the streets, the ballpark is being finished, the field house is going wide open etc.

Edited by TREY

BTW, do we havea tread with lots of BEFORE pictures of West End? If not, we need those ASAP. Things are changing fast.

I don't know about *LOTS* of before pictures, but this very thread was started using photos that were taken of the West End. Scroll back a page or so. If you or anybody has any older photos that you'd like to add to the thread, please do so! :thumbsup:

This is the reply I received from someone at American Apparel yesterday. :(

Thank you for your interest in our company. We are currently expanding as fast as possible. It is true there is no Greenville store opening in the near future. But please check our web site for updated new store information. Hopefully we will be moving in soon.

Thank you,

Matt Bennett

213.488.0226 ext.1354

213.542.4986 fax

Retail Department

American Apparel

I didn't want to metion the reason why I heard they were not going to open, becuase It doesn't make sense to me, but I'll mention in case someone knows maybe details.

I was told that the city has decided that they only want business is hte West End that would generate a certain amount of revenue, and American Apperal didn't think the would be able to hit those numbers.

To me, that doesn't sound legal, so either I misunderstood, or the person who told me about it did. Anybody hear about any conditions for occupancy in the west end that the city has set?

No, but it does sound like something stupid that the city would say. Just like the trouble they gave The Grape about coming to Riverplace or the trouble they gave the developers that wanted to tear down that aweful Kimbrell's building. It seems like everytime the city takes one step forward they say something that takes them two steps back.

While I questioned the Jillian's decision at the time, in retrospect, it was the right decision. However, in THAT situation, the CITY OWNED the parcel. That gives them the right to be as picky as they want. Granted, the city manager made a mistake in promising more than he could deliver. Which is why he is not the city manger any longer. As far as I know, the city does not own this building.

I agree with btoy, that the logic doesn't make a lot of sense. Considering the parcel/building produces NO revenue now.

As for Kimbrell's, that was apparently a good decison, because it would just be a vacant lot right now, and for who know's how long.

Edited by vicupstate

Last time I checked, we weren't in a position to tell potential West End tenants that they are not good enough for us. We may have big plans for the West End, and the baseball stadium and surrounding developments are great, but there is a LOT of room for overall improvements to the West End. There is a huge difference between grandiose plans and tangible results. With respect to the West End, we are currently full of the former, and only starting to see some of the latter. While the West End has come a long way and has a very bright future, let us not forget what a dump the West End was as recently as a few years ago.