The West End

gs3

It's too bad that the buildings could not be taken over by a church that's bursting at the seams such as NewSpring.   A ready-made building that just needs some renovations.

Exactly.  It's ridiculous how buildings, like so much else in America, are treated as temporary and disposable.  A huge waste of resources.  I don't buy that cost of renovating an existing building is more expensive than building something new.

Exactly.  It's ridiculous how buildings, like so much else in America, are treated as temporary and disposable.  A huge waste of resources.  I don't buy that cost of renovating an existing building is more expensive than building something new.

In this case, most of the financing of the new building will come from sale of of the land if I understand it.

You are looking at it the wrong way.  I don't know what the church is getting for their land, but, let's say that the land is worth $6,000,000 for redevelopment but only $1,000,000 to another church, would it really make sense for the church to sell it at a discount when they could take $6,000,000 and build a new church and have plenty of money for years to come?  I made those numbers up, but the point is, the current church is going to get much more money this way and much sooner than if it remained a church.

You are looking at it the wrong way.  I don't know what the church is getting for their land, but, let's say that the land is worth $6,000,000 for redevelopment but only $1,000,000 to another church, would it really make sense for the church to sell it at a discount when they could take $6,000,000 and build a new church and have plenty of money for years to come?  I made those numbers up, but the point is, the current church is going to get much more money this way and much sooner than if it remained a church.

I don't think it would take that much money, relatively speaking, to get the buildings up to snuff.  But the current congregation does not need anywhere near that much space.  They also will no doubt bank some of the sale's price to endow operational expenses.  They also want to stay in that neighborhood. If there was a 1.3 acre site nearby that could be had for a decent price, they might could sell the entire parcel instead.  There really isn't anything near there fits that description though.   The sanctuary is very nice, but most of the remainder is not that unique.     

New Spring would not fit that well on 4.3 acres, and that architecture is not their MO either.  Downtown Presbyterian might be a better fit, if PSBC wanted to sell to a church.  

That would be great. Hampton Inn departed from their typical bland suburban look when they built the hotel at RiverPlace. I bet Homewood Suites will do the same.

I like the new concept Hilton is trying with Homewood suites, but I also like the Homewood suites Savannah Historic Distrct / Riverfront building they have on the river down there. I think that would be a good fit in that location. Not in that exact configuration, but in design. Anything but the boring suburban box.

HOMEWOOD SUITES SAVANNAH HISTORIC DISTRICT / RIVERFRONT

post-3559-0-51588200-1435588930_thumb.jp

Just looked at it and looks eerily familiar to another building being constructed in Greenville doesn't it?

Edited by MAJIKMAN

The owners can do what they want with the property. I am personally just glad to see another downtown parking lot getting destroyed. And the church building itself? Meh...there's a gazillion of them around here. I won't miss it.

Edited by gman430

• 1 month later...

Preliminary plans were also submitted for the West End Apartment Homes which are slated for the Pendleton Baptist Church property on Main Street. There was discussion about the scale and height of the buildings and

how they will impact existing single family homes along Rhett Street. The board said a sun study might be good to see how much shade the new buildings will create.

The plans showed entrances to the development off of both Rhett and Main St and a couple of areas that can be used as pocket parks. Good news for the developer is that they already have conditional approval already for sewer.

Parking on the project will be completely wrapped inside the project and will not be seen from the street. Also, the project has one parking space for each bedroom, instead of the usual one space for each apartment. The developer said that if they can take full advantage of the current zoning, they may be able to add in a public parking component.

This is from the Upstate Business Journal 

Did anybody see the quick blurb about this:

15. Reedy Point Visitors Center – 1.2 acres

River Street and the Reedy River

Proposed

in the Upstate business journal. I didn't think there was another rendering for this out there. 

WGVL73115article11.jpg

Really meant if there was another rendering for reedy point

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...