The West End

gs3

Land records show it was recently purchased by Enigma corporation.  Looks like that ties back to Spinx?  

All three lots that make up the NW corner of Pendleton and Easley Bridge Rd. have been owned by Enigma since the middle of the 1980s, according to GCGIS records. Anyway, my guess is that a completely new Spynx will be constructed on the vacant portion of the land and then the existing building (quite dated) will be demolished.

All three lots that make up the NW corner of Pendleton and Easley Bridge Rd. have been owned by Enigma since the middle of the 1980s, according to GCGIS records. Anyway, my guess is that a completely new Spynx will be constructed on the vacant portion of the land and then the existing building (quite dated) will be demolished.

The Greenville Couty mapping system shows a deed transfer of those three lots to Enigma Corp in 2014 when I pull it up.   Also, the lot next door says Dixie Home 10, but has the same PO box as the Enigma Corp.....

Edited by chuckyvt

The Greenville Couty mapping system shows a deed transfer of those three lots to Enigma Corp in 2014 when I pull it up.   Also, the lot next door says Dixie Home 10, but has the same PO box as the Enigma Corp.....

Ah, I was looking at the Spynx and adjacent two lots diagonally across the intersection, also owned by Enigma. And here's another interesting factoid: the two lots on which the Bank of America branch sits are ALSO owned by Enigma. However you slice it, Enigma and Spynx have a lock on the intersection. They could be constructing a new station on the lot you mentioned, or they could be building to suit some third-party tenant.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

^^ Yes that is correct. I heard about this about a week or two ago. Even have the site plan at home. They are in the process of having the streets abandoned. But they are in negotiations with the liquor store owner to buy the site so they won't have to have that strange configuration. If they can, the store will be more centrally located on the property. 

Edited by MAJIKMAN

If they can get the liquor store lot I'm all for it.  Having trouble visualizing the site plan if they can't.  Regardless, I will happily shop there.  I'm sure some in the neighborhood will complain, but realistically they are limited on their options.  It's already zoned appropriately I believe?   And it doesn't have to go to DRB.   

51 minutes ago, chuckyvt said:

If they can get the liquor store lot I'm all for it.  Having trouble visualizing the site plan if they can't.  Regardless, I will happily shop there.  I'm sure some in the neighborhood will complain, but realistically they are limited on their options.  It's already zoned appropriately I believe?   And it doesn't have to go to DRB.   

I agree 100% with this. :)

From what I have seen. It will easily go through. It will probably have a kind of different roof configuration, from what I've heard from the guy from QT, due to zoning. Don't get me to lying about what they meant by that. But they said that they usually don't buy property if they can't do anything with it. So stay tuned. 

I think this could go either way depending on the neighborhood's opposition or lack thereof.

Since Sphinx is going to build a new store on their existing store site, there will be an option that is nicer than the Citgo anyway. 

If I understand correctly, as currently zoned, the property would need a Special Exception. I believe that is correct.  The streets would have to be abandoned as well, but that is a sure thing approval.  The city is planning to rezone that entire Academy Street corridor to be less intense commercial.  The parcels in question would be Multi-Family as proposed. That makes me think the city staff is not keen on a convenience store being there. 

When the Rutherford Rd. QT went in the Hampton-Pinckney folks were opposed but the Viola St. residents were in favor of it, and it went through. It was controversial though.  If the W.E. folks are united against it, I think it might have problems.  However, that may not be the case, as some or most may like the idea.

QT does the best job of anyone with their stores, but it would not be my personal first choice for the site.  Given all the projects proposed for the Markley corridor, I wish they would move to a different corner.  If I were buying a condo at Traverse, I don't know that I would want a 24-hour business so close. 

I continue to hear that the Citgo site is moving forward with redevelopment. And each time the information gets less and less abstract. 

As for the QT, it would be nice to have a quality gas station on this end of downtown, but I agree about the condo comments. Nobody is going to want that view or the light pollution coming onto their property. It Will be really interesting to watch this unfold.

When the QT rep proposed the plans for Rutherford they came to all the surrounding neighborhoods. Not just HP and Viola. All but one, Hampton /Pinckney, had a problem.  The same issue they had with sphinx, single serve alcohol, they had with the QT on Rutherford. Which they easily fixed by not selling it. 

But in reference to the location. From what I heard they wanted to be closer to Pendleton Street. But they couldn't get any of the corners to work. That's for a variety of reasons. 

That's one of the reasons why sphinx decided to rush his plans for their new store. They knew QT had been scouting for a new location in the area. 

I can tell you this. The odds of this happening are pretty good. 

Edited by MAJIKMAN

Some new gas stations near downtown would be nice, but there's no reason why they have to be the standard suburban model with acres of pavement and 10+ pumps.  More compact stations would fit better in the urban area with far less impact. I'd rather see more small stations distributed around than a few of the typical mega sized Sphinx or QT.  I've seen stations in European cities that were little more than a couple pumps at the curbside.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

I continue to hear that the Citgo site is moving forward with redevelopment. And each time the information gets less and less abstract. 

As for the QT, it would be nice to have a quality gas station on this end of downtown, but I agree about the condo comments. Nobody is going to want that view or the light pollution coming onto their property. It Will be really interesting to watch this unfold.

I am curious as to what counter measures a place like QT could take to address light pollution (or noise pollution for that matter, someone mentioned Taco Bell, and having had to briefly stay at the Quality Inn on Augusta near the Taco Bell, the typical midnight to 2 am drive through client, seems to love to drive cars with giant aftermarket sub woofers).  Both these issues are near and dear to me as someone in that area.

1 hour ago, sc smitty said:

Some new gas stations near downtown would be nice, but there's no reason why they have to be the standard suburban model with acres of pavement and 10+ pumps.  More compact stations would fit better in the urban area with far less impact. I'd rather see more small stations distributed around than a few of the typical mega sized Sphinx or QT.  I've seen stations in European cities that were little more than a couple pumps at the curbside.

I think its just a density/economics issue.  Land in or near the heart of the city is too valuable (or expensive) to be profitable with gas pumps that require lateral real estate to generate income.   Core downtown locations need to be dense and multi use in my opinion to make money and give back what a good urban center needs.  I hate seeing new construction in the heart of downtown that is 5 floors or less and that doesn't have a mixed use component unless its a park/designated greenspace. Just doesnt make sense.  I wish the land was too expensive where the proposed QT on Markley and Academy (or zoned to prevent it) but right now unfortunately its not and we do need gas stations.  I hope they figure out a way to responsibly coexist in these areas with non-commercial neighbors, that is where there needs to be oversight to keep property values and the quality of life in those areas from declining.  As much as these QTs like to sprawl out like its out in the burbs, this location definitely is NOT and requires an urban (i.e. people LIVE there) solution.