The West End

gs3

That is pretty cool. I'm looking at the funding and I curious if those numbers all right. It says the project is 10 million dollars and the city will foot 5 million? I'm okay with public private partnerships but that's seems like a big chunk for the city to take on for something like this. We still have a lot of blighted areas and people that need help that money could go to and I'm not really sure that a new upper deck lounge and 2 new entrances when there's nothing wrong with the two that they have is a really wise use of money.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, NBNY2GRNVL said:

That is pretty cool. I'm looking at the funding and I curious if those numbers all right. It says the project is 10 million dollars and the city will foot 5 million? I'm okay with public private partnerships but that's seems like a big chunk for the city to take on for something like this. We still have a lot of blighted areas and people that need help that money could go to and I'm not really sure that a new upper deck lounge and 2 new entrances when there's nothing wrong with the two that they have is a really wise use of money.

I have similar feelings. Other than a small increase in seating capacity. I don't see a lot of gain for the city. I guess you have to keep up with the Jones on these stadiums or eventually they will leave.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, vicupstate said:

I have similar feelings. Other than a small increase in seating capacity. I don't see a lot of gain for the city. I guess you have to keep up with the Jones on these stadiums or eventually they will leave.  

Its not only the increase in seating at stake, but the potential decrease in seating if the stadium isn't kept nice. 

I actually thought the price tag would be greater with more changes really. 

12 minutes ago, Joey_Blackdogg said:

Large Equipment doing grading beside the Spinx on 123 across from St. Francis Hospital. Anyone know if this is the start of the Spinx reconstruction?

Mostly likely yes, the new store will sit on a significantly bigger parcel than the current one.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sphinx Station Upgrade

A rendering that I had not seen is included.

This sounds interesting. I think the city has some money set aside for streetscaping near the ball park too. 

From Upstate Business Journal:

During informal reviews, developer Terry Birch presented a new condo project on Vardry and Augusta streets, near Fluor Field. The property is about 3/4 acre and the design showed one building intended to look like an old textile mill. There would be four levels of residential units over two levels of parking with a fifth-story rooftop with amenities that may include a pool, fitness center and flex space.

Condos are proposed to have 13-foot ceilings with open ductwork to look like renovated lofts and to give it an old mill-type feel, said Birch. Approximately 72 one-, two- and three-bedroom units are planned. Square footage will be 900 to 1,700 with prices ranging $300,000 to $500,000, which is a gap and underserved market.

It’s a narrow site, said Birch, who is working with Norfolk Southern on a railway easement for the site to “beautify” and landscape the area for residents. A photo of a similar project along the light rail in Charlotte was shown.

The DRB suggested the developer and architect work on the old mill design a bit and suggested a little more updated and modern interpretation. The DRB agreed the railroad easement will be very important to make the project successful and also suggested working with the Department of Transportation to see if something can be done on the intersection to make it easier for resident access.

On July 14, 2016 at 0:18 PM, vicupstate said:

Sphinx Station Upgrade

A rendering that I had not seen is included.

This sounds interesting. I think the city has some money set aside for streetscaping near the ball park too. 

From Upstate Business Journal:

During informal reviews, developer Terry Birch presented a new condo project on Vardry and Augusta streets, near Fluor Field. The property is about 3/4 acre and the design showed one building intended to look like an old textile mill. There would be four levels of residential units over two levels of parking with a fifth-story rooftop with amenities that may include a pool, fitness center and flex space.

Condos are proposed to have 13-foot ceilings with open ductwork to look like renovated lofts and to give it an old mill-type feel, said Birch. Approximately 72 one-, two- and three-bedroom units are planned. Square footage will be 900 to 1,700 with prices ranging $300,000 to $500,000, which is a gap and underserved market.

It’s a narrow site, said Birch, who is working with Norfolk Southern on a railway easement for the site to “beautify” and landscape the area for residents. A photo of a similar project along the light rail in Charlotte was shown.

The DRB suggested the developer and architect work on the old mill design a bit and suggested a little more updated and modern interpretation. The DRB agreed the railroad easement will be very important to make the project successful and also suggested working with the Department of Transportation to see if something can be done on the intersection to make it easier for resident access.

Im guessing this is the gravel area that has nothing growing on it?

Kind of wonder how long those tracks will be in use anyway...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2016 at 8:42 PM, Jet-set said:

^Beat me to it gman, noticed today they had been razed. 

Husk coming along it seems:

image.jpg

I walk past this site all the time and those lights have been on for ages.  I have been wondering if Husk was still coming as very little to nothing seems to be going on at this location.

3 minutes ago, NBNY2GRNVL said:

What? The AME Church is for sale? I didn't think they would move for sure.

It doesn't look like the church building itself. But the community center building. They never really used it. Letting another church use it on Sundays and New Horizon did have space there, but not any more. Since there new building went up across from Memorial, they have not been there. So like Pendleton Street Church they started to see the dollar signs. Good location. It shouldn't take long before they get some very good offers. Next to Pendleton and Greenlink , you don't see that kind of acreage in the neighborhood. I'm not talking County Square. That's something totally different.

On August 16, 2016 at 3:21 PM, gvegascple said:

I walk past this site all the time and those lights have been on for ages.  I have been wondering if Husk was still coming as very little to nothing seems to be going on at this location.

Workers were on site today doing exterior work. :)

• Like 1