The West End

gs3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On April 30, 2017 at 11:32 AM, btoy said:

Ballentine has been on the market for years.  Part of their property was what brought us the Rhett St. apartments (forgot the name).  They just haven't had a sign up in the past.

Ahhh...gotcha. I see Phillips Heating & AC next to Rhett Street Brownstones is also for sale.

• 2 weeks later...

County approves funding agreement for West End garage

Looks like the West End garage will be about 1,000 spaces. That would be the largest in the city. I have to wonder if it won't end up being TWO smaller garages instead since it would be a big footprint to do only one.

It would seem to be a safe bet that some sort of project would be built with the garage, to provide a primary user of all those spaces during the week.   

The Transit property would be a good candidate but 1,000 spaces there plus other buildings would be many stories taller than the surroundings.  

Anybody hearing what the plans might be?  

1 hour ago, vicupstate said:

County approves funding agreement for West End garage

Looks like the West End garage will be about 1,000 spaces. That would be the largest in the city. I have to wonder if it won't end up being TWO smaller garages instead since it would be a big footprint to do only one.

It would seem to be a safe bet that some sort of project would be built with the garage, to provide a primary user of all those spaces during the week.   

The Transit property would be a good candidate but 1,000 spaces there plus other buildings would be many stories taller than the surroundings.  

Anybody hearing what the plans might be?  

I think that location is most likely. Could do between Vardry, Field and Augusta as well. Somewhere along Wardlaw would be good because that road has access to a light at Academy. 

53 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

Im guessing they will do County Square to go with the redevelopment. A good pedestrian connection can be made with Augusta during the new road construction connecting University Ridge and Vardry.

The new garage being funded cannot be within the County Square site. 

On 5/19/2017 at 8:48 PM, ausrutherford said:

Im guessing they will do County Square to go with the redevelopment. A good pedestrian connection can be made with Augusta during the new road construction connecting University Ridge and Vardry.

How are they going to connect University Ridge and Vardry?

My drive home in the evening would be so much better if University Ridge aligned with Vardy.  If you take the building at 120 Howe St out, looks like you might have a corridor to come out beside Brick Street Cafe.  There is room on the other side to do a bit of a realignment of Vardy.  Also, you would want to do it somehow so there isn't such a drop off after the railroad track.