The West End

gs3

Was it reported on UP, or did I hear this information somewhere else; The South Carolina Children's Theatre will eventually be moving into a new building in the West End, as part of a joint venture with another organization. I don't recall the details, but I thought it would be on Augusta Road, near the ballpark and GTA facility.

Well, the building adjacent to the GTA Property (warehouse looking, lots of plants & stuff) I believe is owned by the railroad but, was once a paper mill (low scale) of some sort. The only reason I say that is because my father (1 of the 3 partenrs of St.Francis Pet "Services") once rented the building for the Pet company. He did not buy the building for it has 1 or 2 underground fuel tanks (for the mill) that are not up to spec. So, chances are the the city will either buy or just re-po it from the RR.

You can buy the building without buying the tanks. Whether someone will sell it to you without the tanks is another matter...

103605337_22e73c71c6.jpg

I borrowed this picture from one of RT's posts.

I was a little disappointed to read that they will be renovating this building rather than redeveloping this site. If anything does not fit in the west end, it is this big glass box stuck in the middle of the site, surrounded by parking. It would have been nice to see new buildings along Field St and Vardry St, with the parking on the interior. I could picture a mix of small scale retail with offices above. A sandwich shop or other eating establishment might work well being right across the street from the high school. The article does say that they are planning improvements to the outside of the building. Any thoughts?

I could not disagree more about this building. It is simple, but it is a MUCH needed island of differentness in an otherwise total sea of brick. I could live with a redevelopment as well, perhaps some more high density mix used or something, but if the building is going to stay I would prefer it as is. At least it is classy and clean. But anything but more brick. We will have to change the name Greenville to Brickville. :P Anyone else think we have plenty of brick around?

I think it would look great to add some greennery to the parking lot, and put a couple of small shops or something closer to street level.

Edited by distortedlogic

• 2 weeks later...

The building across the railroad tracks from West End Field and the Field House at West End has been razed. Does anybody have any information on what can be expected at this site? This property appears to be owned by Colonial American Properties as it is under the name of "CAP Railroad, LLC."

From the article that g-man posted in another thread, it almost sounds as though this is where the Port City Java will be located. For some reason, I had envisioned the PCJ going into the Field House building. :blink:

It is going into the field house building. It says in the article it is going across the street from rocks and ropes and behind West End Field, which is behind the green monster. :thumbsup:

Edited by g-man430

DSCF1175.jpg

-I think they are going to bury these because if you look very closely on the left side of the street at that street light that is closest to where this pic was taken that doesn't use underground power lines, there is a pole right next to it that does. Also, maybe they already buried the lines, but they haven't converted the power over yet to them, so they are still using above ground ones.

Edited by g-man430

I wish that they would cut down all of those trees. They block the view of the skyline from the ballpark.

I know what you mean, but I think they should keep them, because they look nice and they add more green to Greenville. You can see the skyline perfectly from the Spinx 500 club. Also, I don't think cutting them down would help that much with the view, seeing how you have the electronic scoreboard and the batter's eye in the way.

Edited by g-man430

There is a DPC sign on the metal box at the corner of Main and River Streets, infront of the "historic" building that wasn't allowed to be torn down. Are they doing away with the box (utility, i assume) on the corner, or are they making other changes to the intersection? Maybe the person placing the sign and got confused and it was suppose to be on the "green monster" that's behind it... :rofl:

Edited by GvilleSC

There is a DPC sign on the metal box at the corner of Main and River Streets, infront of the "historic" building that wasn't allowed to be torn down. Are they doing away with the box (utility, i assume) on the corner, or are they making other changes to the intersection? Maybe the person placing the sign and got confused and it was suppose to be on the "green monster" that's behind it... :rofl:

Probably it is refering to this item on next week's agenda:

"CA 06-57 A request by the WestEnd Association to install granite quotes in certain sections of the sidewalks in the West End Preservation Overlay District."

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a sampling of a few projects taking place in the West End historic district. There are plenty of others I didn't post, but this will help give an idea of the explosion taking place there. :shades:

West End Coffee Company's new building on Markley Street:

WestEnd_03.jpg

The Field House at West End:

WestEnd_04.jpg

WestEnd_05.jpg

WestEnd_11.jpg

WestEnd_12.jpg

Random buildings on South Main Street:

WestEnd_09.jpg

WestEnd_06.jpg

WestEnd_07.jpg

WestEnd_08.jpg