The West End

gs3

The view of the skyline from Augusta Street in the West End Historic District. Notice the crane at River Place:

291833802_81a27b1a59_b.jpg

A closer look at the construction at River Place.

291833805_734b1e5ea2_b.jpg

Deeper into the West End is the city's latest street scaping efforts, which look great by the way. Here's looking down Main Street away from the City Center:

291833793_c047aa503e_b.jpg

Looking toward the City Center and the Ball Park:

291833797_94ade6826e_b.jpg

A Little church I've never paid any attention to until I noticed it when taking these pictures:

291833800_812e62c039_b.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

So we've all seen the many renovation and new construction projects occuring in the West End. Does anyone have any updates on any of these spaces being filled with tenants? If we want the West End to continue its MAJOR turn around, we need to fill these spaces and propel new projects to fruition. Anyone know of new West End tenant additions?

My favorite West End store right now may be the Appalachain Outfitters on Augusta Street. (is that the right name?) What's your favorites?

My favorite West End store right now may be the Appalachain Outfitters on Augusta Street. (is that the right name?) What's your favorites?

That's my favorite, too (Appalachain Outfitters/Life is Good). We drove through there tonight. Lots of "AVAILABLE" signs, but no signs of new tenants that I could discern.

• 4 weeks later...

These buildings have been painted beige and look great!

Also, dirt was being turned on Rhett Street today. A demolition company's sign was on the site... Anyone know what's happening here? The site it located on the right if you turn onto Rhett Street from River Street.

Isn't that where the 8-story condo is supposed to go? Last I heard, the developer went before the DPC and had reduced the building from 10 stories to 8. Could this possibly mean that they approved the project and are starting construction soon?

Isn't that where the 8-story condo is supposed to go? Last I heard, the developer went before the DPC and had reduced the building from 10 stories to 8. Could this possibly mean that they approved the project and are starting construction soon?

I think the 8-story condo tower was to go between River and Camperdown, but this site was between River and O'Neal(?). It didn't look big enough, either.

That should be those low-density residential structures we read about not too long ago - definitely not the 8-story condo building. The tower will be built on the property currently occupied by Sun Heating, which sits on the pinnacle of the hill between Rhett and Boggs.

Thanks for the clarification, Skyliner. I remember now that the 8-story building will replace Sun Heating. Hopefully we will hear something about it soon.

These buildings have been painted beige and look great!

Also, dirt was being turned on Rhett Street today. A demolition company's sign was on the site... Anyone know what's happening here? The site it located on the right if you turn onto Rhett Street from River Street.

They torn down a house on the site to build something like 14 Townhomes.

Thanks for the clarification, Skyliner. I remember now that the 8-story building will replace Sun Heating. Hopefully we will hear something about it soon.

I noticed the Sun heating building is on a small hill/knoll. Probably one of the higher in West End. The crest is two to three stories above Camperdown. An 8 story building on this spot will be more like a 10 or 11, and considering West End is full of low and mid rise, this should add some drama to the skyline. :thumbsup:

They torn down a house on the site to build something like 14 Townhomes.

Just townhomes, or townhomes with retail? Any idea?

I noticed the Sun heating building is on a small hill/knoll. Probably one of the higher in West End. The crest is two to three stories above Camperdown. An 8 story building on this spot will be more like a 10 or 11, and considering West End is full of low and mid rise, this should add some drama to the skyline. :thumbsup:

Just townhomes, or townhomes with retail? Any idea?

Residential only, if the information released is still relevant.

Residential only, if the information released is still relevant.

Thanks Skliner. :)

As I walked through West End this morning, the place is a beehive of activity with construction....Riverplace and the mutiple buildings and shops opening there....Fieldhouse condos and retail....multiple smaller buildings......just about every corner or block has some activity.

Guys were reall busy working on this building. This is now slated for the South American / Churrascon style restaurant? Is that correct? Somebody posted it here, but I can't find.

DSC00732.jpg

Hey guys,

When you get the chance make sure to walk or drive by the West End Field. South Main is now open, and it really cool looking right now

I make it a regular exercise to walk by West End Field. That place is already one of my favorite locations in the entire city! In some ways - although I know it obviously isn't true - it feels as though the ballpark has been there for many more years already. Imagine a hot South American restaurant located nearby, with new jazzy shops, condos, and other attractions drawing visitors all the way down from North Main Street. Imagine wayfinding signs under the ones for Falls Park, only these point to the 2006 ballpark of the year. :shades:

Edited by Skyliner

I make it a regular exercise to walk by West End Field. That place is already one of my favorite locations in the entire city! In some ways - although I know it obviously isn't true - it feels as though the ballpark has been there for many more years already.

I'm sure the use of refurbished brick contributes to that.

Hey guys,

When you get the chance make sure to walk or drive by the West End Field. South Main is now open, and it really cool looking right now

I don't know how I failed to post this earlier with the other photos, but here's a look for those that can't get by the area to see it first-hand at the moment:

336365706_e577c1e84f_b.jpg