The West End

gs3

I don't believe in supporting a business just to support it in order to "save it" or make a statement. You reward a business based on it's quality of service and products. Yes, I may shop at those places when I am downtown and I think it's great there. I'm glad a new grocery store is coming downtown and the dinky Bi-Lo off of North Main. I'm curious how many here support the 8 o'clock Supperette as they are a long time downtown institution. They are a small grocery store that is very well know for stocking items no one else does because their customers ask for them. When I worked downtown in the past I visited the 8 o'clock a good bit to get a hot lunch plate. As many offices as they are downtown I don't think Staple's will have any problem at all. I'm just amazed their hasn't been a serious office supply company downtown for such a long time. The next closest place is Greenville Office Supply and quite some time ago Harper Brother's was a big presence on the West End. (their sign certainly has been long lasting!)

I 'reward' a business with my patronage because it does something that I want to encourage, or see more of. That may be good service, quality products, reasonable prices, convenient location, community support or some combination thereof. I want to see more of the basics offered DT, so I will make a point, and even go out of my way to buy at these stores. You can bet their competitors will be sending their representatives to scope out how these two are doing. I want the word to go out that DT is an untapped market, that more retailers need to investigate. Like I said earlier, it's called putting your money where your mouth is.

8 o'clock Superette is pretty isolated and hidden from view, I lived here several years before I knew it existed. It is quaint and reminds me of my rural childhood, but other than to 'check it out' I have not patronized it.

I don't think you have to worry about Publix or Staples doing good business downtown. Companies that large usually have something in their budget to do things like studying demographics, market analysis, etc. Their not going to invest the big bucks in constructing new buildings just because they want to help downtown of have a passion for being their. Small businesses renting spaces is usually more of a gamble. While Mast is a bit smaller than Publix I think they knew it was pretty much a sure bet (well at least 75% odds) that they would do well downtown.

The reason 8 o'clock and other "old school" places like Charlie's Steak House are still in business after so many years is they have been, to paraphase a country song, there before downtown was "cool". 8 'clock might appear quaint but you would be surprised at the diverse customer base and how much "old money" has monthly spending accounts there.

8 o'clock Superette is pretty isolated and hidden from view, I lived here several years before I knew it existed. It is quaint and reminds me of my rural childhood, but other than to 'check it out' I have not patronized it.

Seriously, if you ever want to run into Greenville's movers and shakers, go to 8'oclock around 5 PM every day. You will run into the areas business and political elite in that little grocery, probably more than any other place in town.

I don't think you have to worry about Publix or Staples doing good business downtown. Companies that large usually have something in their budget to do things like studying demographics, market analysis, etc. Their not going to invest the big bucks in constructing new buildings just because they want to help downtown of have a passion for being their. Small businesses renting spaces is usually more of a gamble. While Mast is a bit smaller than Publix I think they knew it was pretty much a sure bet (well at least 75% odds) that they would do well downtown.

I don't doubt that Publix and Staples know what they are doing, but there is profitable and there is PROFITABLE. Publix has only recently started building urban locations. I saw the effects of one of the first ones, that is located in Jax FL. It is now their top store in per square foot sales in FL (of which there are hundreds). Not only was the store a success, but the transformation of the surrounding area was just as startling as the changes seen locally at Cherrydale. I would LOVE for that to be said of the McBee Sation location in a few years. So yes, I will do what I can to bring that about, because I want Bloom, BiLo and maybe Trader Joe's to follow in Publix's footsteps.

I 'reward' a business with my patronage because it does something that I want to encourage, or see more of. That may be good service, quality products, reasonable prices, convenient location, community support or some combination thereof. I want to see more of the basics offered DT, so I will make a point, and even go out of my way to buy at these stores. You can bet their competitors will be sending their representatives to scope out how these two are doing. I want the word to go out that DT is an untapped market, that more retailers need to investigate. Like I said earlier, it's called putting your money where your mouth is.

I agree about putting your money where your mouth is. I can't complain about downtown's success if I don't support it. If something is not in my market, then no, but a publix or a staples definitely qualifies as something that I can support.

This building at 802 S. Main has recently been purchased for $950,000. The adjoining lot is for sale as well. I assume that since the building is staked off, that it sold without the adjoining vacant lot (shown on the left of the building in the pics). The seller was Reeves R.E. Investments and the buyer is Lynn S. Barwick, per the Gville Journal.

I wonder if the building will be renovated, or razed and replaced with a multi-story building. Maybe btoy can do some investigating.

Oh my gosh. I had forgotten how hideous this building was before! One year ago it was this dump, now it's been renovated and will soon be home to a Brazilian Steakhouse! Wow.

The pictures won't come with the reply, but they're on page one, post number 16. Check it out

Edited by GvilleSC

DSCF0574.jpg

Does every one remember the old Shealy Electrical site?

I was down at City hall on another matter but took a look at the proposal for this site (for the DPC) meeting on Friday February the 16.

Looks awesome :thumbsup: I will try to give a brief description from memory of the building. 61,000 sq. ft. five stores tall including 8? Hipped roofed condos on the roof. Facing river street will be store fronts on the first two floors with parking behind them. The third floor will be offices and the fourth and fifth floors condos. A lot of architectural detail and a great looking building :thumbsup:.

Hopefully we will be starting a new construction thread soon!

Edited by TREY

DSCF0574.jpg

Does every one remember the old Shealy Electrical site?

I was down at City hall on another matter but took a look at the proposal for this site (for the DPC) meeting on Friday February the 16.

Looks awesome :thumbsup: I will try to give a brief description from memory of the building. 61,000 sq. ft. five stores tall including 8? Hipped roofed condos on the roof. Facing river street will be store fronts on the first two floors with parking behind them. The third floor will be offices and the fourth and fifth floors condos. A lot of architectural detail and a great looking building :thumbsup:.

Hopefully we will be starting a new construction thread soon!

This sounds similar to the proposal for the corner of River Street and South Main, next door (where the vacant old "green monster" sits). I should try to get over and have a look as well. Sounds fantastic! :shades:

• 2 weeks later...

Renovation on these two West End buildings are almost complete. Anybody know what tenants are planned?

DSC01213.jpg

DSC01214.jpg

DSC01215.jpg

I know I've said this somewhere on here before, but David Langley does an awesome job on these old storefront renovations/remodels. His work in Greer preceded him to the West End of Greenville. I hope to see more of his work here in the near future. :shades:

I know David very well, great guy and he does great work. He has done just about everything in Greer, and if you think his exteriors are nice you should see his interiors. The offices for Neuenhouser are amazing! He has developed a trade mark recently, just about everthing has a curved wall in it. 102 Trade St. Bistro 107, Bin 112, the offices of Nuenhoauser.

Edited by btoy

I know David very well, great guy and he does great work. He has done just about everything in Greer, and if you think his exteriors are nice you should see his interiors. The offices for Neuenhouser are amazing! He has developed a trade mark recently, just about everthing has a curved wall in it. 102 Trade St. Bistro 107, Bin 112, the offices of Nuenhoauser.

I agree. He is a great person to know. Those interiors are very remarkable. Another one I have always loved is Gerard's. :shades: