The West End

gs3

I suppose it is important to include the eminent sale of the GTA property (over 3 acres) in the near future. Harper Corporation is offering $1.2 Million for the site, which the City had hoped to purchase 3 years ago for less than $400,000. Originally, the City had hoped to offer the land to the South Carolina Children's Theatre, but that is obviously in doubt now. There are multiple articles about this on GreenvilleOnline.com today.

I suppose it is important to include the eminent sale of the GTA property (over 3 acres) in the near future. Harper Corporation is offering $1.2 Million for the site, which the City had hoped to purchase 3 years ago for less than $400,000. Originally, the City had hoped to offer the land to the South Carolina Children's Theatre, but that is obviously in doubt now. There are multiple articles about this on GreenvilleOnline.com today.

It was not the Harper Corporation, it was Tony Harper, he owns a number of properties downtown and in the West End, he also owns the old Woodside Building (last leased by DR Horton) next door to the GTA, together the two would make and awsome development site. This is the same Tony Harper who owns and is developing the 800 acres TND in Simpsonville.

I drove the length of Main tonight on my way home. The Brazilian Steak House is coming along nicely. There's lights on the outside and people were working on the interior. It looked like it would be open some time this month. Anyone know this for sure?

Also, I've never seen so many cars in the West End on a night without a baseball game. Cars were parked all the way up to the Field House. Enjoy parking in the WE while you can still find it!

I was pretty busy all over last night! Even looked like High cotton was open. When the fieldhouse building fills out it will definitely be impossible to find any parking around there at peak hours. I envy those that live in the fieldhouse.

On that subject, any one know how the brewhouse thats going in there is getting around the "Can't be closer than 500 feet to a church and have a liquor license law?"

Edited by GE Turbine Man

Great article in today's Greenville News about new restaurants in the West End:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....S/70313017/1003

It gives a nice summary of some of the things we've discussed here, as well as some clarification about the new Boathouse planned for Riverplace. I think all of these sound great. These provide us with even more varied choices, guys! :thumbsup:

That is GREAT! The "Boathouse at the Falls" restaurant sounds awesome. It is the same location as the High Cotton rumor I had originally heard. Nice to see another fine restaurant using an old building. :shades:

The Persian restaurant should be a smashing success here in Greenville. I absolutely love basmati rice!

I really love this quote by one of the developers:

I think downtown Greenville is such a cosmopolitan market that it would really, really enjoy the experience of Persian cuisine
Edited by Skyliner

^ Which building is the old Surratt's Furniture?

I think it's a couple of door down (south/west) of Spill the Beans. One thing that sticks in my mind about that place is they have a sign in the front of the store saying they will convert tapes to DVD. What that has to do with furniture is anyone's guess. Oh well, if the lawn mower repair people can do your taxes...

I think it's a couple of door down (south/west) of Spill the Beans. One thing that sticks in my mind about that place is they have a sign in the front of the store saying they will convert tapes to DVD. What that has to do with furniture is anyone's guess. Oh well, if the lawn mower repair people can do your taxes...

And what does "Shoeless" Joe Jackson have to do with Vaccums? :lol:

Thanks! :thumbsup: I walked by to check this building out last night. Great location for a restaurant. Kind of completes the string of businesses that line the curve in the street.

Just for kicks, check out this GreenvilleOnline article from a little over 2 years ago. With all of this new development underway, and endless possibilities beyond, I think it is fun to look even a short while into the past to see how greatly things have changed. The article was titled, "People Discovering West End." :D

Its interesting to see the effect Falls Park had on the West End well before the ballpark was planned. Thanks Skyliner :thumbsup:

Not sure this restaurant made the article about the seven new restaurants....so here is number eight. In the lower level of West End Market. Love the play on West End, with West Inlet.

West Inlet Oyster Bar coming soon:

DSC01464.jpg

I remember mentioning that one sometime last year, but it has been very slow to develop. I think it will do well considering so many visitors during the warmer months (which have already begun). :thumbsup: