The West End

gs3

I was interetsted until it said Beach Music and R&B.

I must have missed the "Beach Music and R&B" part? :huh: I'll have to go back and look at the paper again. As long as they have a good mix of R&B/Pop, Country, and Rock acts and as long as they're nationally known bands, it should be pretty good still.

I hope it adds to the transformation into a nightlife district. It sounds like a fun place with 8 bars, and live bands. Whatever kind of music, I think nationally known names will definitely make this place successful and make a name for itself to Greenvillians.

Heard a bluegrass place may be going in the John Franks location.

Interesting. Just this past Tuesday at Barley's in Asheville, vwsam and I were talking about how there's not nearly as much bluegrass in the Greenville area as there is in Asheville...especially since the Pickin' Parlor went asunder.

Interesting. Just this past Tuesday at Barley's in Asheville, vwsam and I were talking about how there's not nearly as much bluegrass in the Greenville area as there is in Asheville...especially since the Pickin' Parlor went asunder.

Greenville proper doesn't have as much, but there are quite a few options nearby in Anderson, Hartwell (GA), and Pickens, to name a few locations. I believe downtown Simpsonville even has a regular bluegrass event. That is still one of my favorite styles of music, but I haven't listened to any in quite awhile. Jazz is my cup of tea, and my favorite living performer, Wynton Marsalis, is coming to town on September 13, along with the Lincoln Center jazz orchestra. I am pumped about that concert!

Did anybody notice the story on the new restaurants in Wednesday's Greenville News? They gave more details on "ten" (the restaurant/listening room going into the building where Rocks & Ropes used to be). It's going to seat 200-300 and feature tapas and have 8 bars. There will be live music performances by "name band" (I take this to mean nationally recognized) acts after 9pm...not unlike the Handlebar or the Orange Peel in Smasheville.

Could this be the beginnings of converting the West End into a live music and entertainment district? :alc:

I am very excited about this potential new entertainment magnet! The old building along the tracks will be perfect for a music/food/drink venue such as the one promised in the article. The possible addition of the caboose outside would be great as well. Consider how nice it will be to leave West End Field and take in a well-known band without walking more than a block down the street. I hope that place is hopping. :alc:

I am currently upstairs at the Port City Java in the West End. It is my first time here, and it is nice. Someone is doing some sort of electrical or wiring work over the partition above where the employees work, but otherwise they seem settled in. How long has it been open?

It is quiet here. There were a few people downstairs when I arrived, as well as a couple upstairs. I am now the only person upstairs, and I think I might hear a few downstairs still. I am not sure how crowded other coffee places are at this time of morning, but I hope that this one will see its business pick up. I agree with what RT said before about a lot of people probably not knowing this is here (or open).

I am currently upstairs at the Port City Java in the West End. It is my first time here, and it is nice. Someone is doing some sort of electrical or wiring work over the partition above where the employees work, but otherwise they seem settled in. How long has it been open?

It is quiet here. There were a few people downstairs when I arrived, as well as a couple upstairs. I am now the only person upstairs, and I think I might hear a few downstairs still. I am not sure how crowded other coffee places are at this time of morning, but I hope that this one will see its business pick up. I agree with what RT said before about a lot of people probably not knowing this is here (or open).

It's been open for a few months...and if you sit there all day, you'll see lows and highs in volume. The one on Mills and the one downtown are usually very busy in the mornings and at around lunch time, but this one just doesn't have the volume yet. It gets more busy around game time when there's a ballgame, though. Honestly, I think they'll need more than just baseball to sustain them in that location.

• 2 weeks later...

One of you really skilled photographers should set-up and take a night time shot of American Grocery. Looking from the street, the lighting and interior is beautiful at night. The space, decor and lighting of this restaurant are stellar. :thumbsup:

Edited by gsupstate

• 2 weeks later...

The Elgin Towing and Body shop acros the st from The Liberty Tap room are moving. They were putting up a big sign today saying "Building available for lease, Business Re-locating"

Also work has started on the Brick St Grill in the old Rocks and Ropes space. Owner thinks it'll be 8 months of construction.

That row of storefronts up Main from the Ballpark (toward Pendleton Street), is still empty. I know it's awfully removed from the hustle and bustle of downtown, but I wish someone would come in and open up shop there. The building looks great and the investor is just losing money...

Edited by GvilleSC

The Elgin Towing and Body shop acros the st from The Liberty Tap room are moving. They were putting up a big sign today saying "Building available for lease, Business Re-locating"

Also work has started on the Brick St Grill in the old Rocks and Ropes space. Owner thinks it'll be 8 months of construction.

That site is for sale as well, they are asking $3.2M

That'd make a nice location for something other than a parking lot...as would the parking lot on the opposite corner, too.

The small parking lot (corner of Main and Markley)is owned by St. Andrews Episcopal Church. They use to lease it to Elgin but now they lease it to the Ball park.

That'd make a nice location for something other than a parking lot...as would the parking lot on the opposite corner, too.

Combined, that entire intersection (minus the corner with the church) could easily become a nice little retail/entertainment village. With more residents moving into the West End, such a development would have plenty of foot traffic to support it.

Combined, that entire intersection (minus the corner with the church) could easily become a nice little retail/entertainment village. With more residents moving into the West End, such a development would have plenty of foot traffic to support it.

If done right, that area could have a name all of its own..."the Ballpark District." :thumbsup:

^ :good: And what better way to define a district than through specialized sculpture and signing. Saw your post about sculpture at West End Field and I totally agree. I could see several pieces, all working together and a common theme, to define the area.

Were you thinking city funded or Drive funded?

Were you thinking city funded or Drive funded?

I was thinking private-public partnership. :thumbsup:

I could see the "Ballpark District" being the triangle bordered by Main, Augusta, and Vardry with the points at the intersections of Main & Augusta/River, the intersection of Augusta and Vardry, and the intersection of Main/Pendleton & Vardry. It wouldn't be a separate entity, necessarily, as much as it would be a more specialized/defined section of the West End District, perhaps.

I would agree that related sculptures throughout this area that echo "baseball" in a Norman Rockwell sentimental sort-of-way would be great to have year-round.

And you added to it with the idea of signage. I could see street signage/wayfinder signage/etc. in this area that is identical to that signage used within West End Field, itself. :shades:

Edited by RestedTraveler

The Elgin Towing and Body shop acros the st from The Liberty Tap room are moving. They were putting up a big sign today saying "Building available for lease, Business Re-locating".

I had a feeling they would be moving sooner or later. That business seems so out of place now.