The West End

gs3

I really like what they are doing, which I'm assuming is for the new Persian restaurant. The little nook used to be almost an eyesore. And it seems like it may be going to be used for outdoor dining perhaps? I'm excited that this is possibly turning into a neat little 'detail', if you will, for downtown and another neat aspect to add to the sidewalk experience.

I really like what they are doing, which I'm assuming is for the new Persian restaurant. The little nook used to be almost an eyesore. And it seems like it may be going to be used for outdoor dining perhaps? I'm excited that this is possibly turning into a neat little 'detail', if you will, for downtown and another neat aspect to add to the sidewalk experience.

Yes - that's part of the Pomegranate. I've been watching to try to determine what it will be in the end, and I have to agree - it looks like it's going to be a nice outdoor space. I took some photos the other day, but none turned out very well, so I'll have to give it another try this weekend if someone doesn't post any before then. Somebody had asked for photos previously.

In the mean time, here are a couple of older photos from Denton.

That row of storefronts up Main from the Ballpark (toward Pendleton Street), is still empty. I know it's awfully removed from the hustle and bustle of downtown, but I wish someone would come in and open up shop there. The building looks great and the investor is just losing money...

I couldn't agree more about these stores. Although I've been racking my brain for several months trying to figure out a business that would thrive in that location and I just can't think of any.

Some details on the new restaurant at Falls Place:

Doc 1

Doc 2

Doc 3

Doc 4

Doc 5

Doc 6

Looks like it's going to involve a substantial number of outdoor tables (22) and seating for 88 guests outdoors under the big white awning at the Main Street entrance to Falls Park. Additionally, looks like there will be a couple of new doors into and out of the restaurant as well as bridges over the gap so people can safely in and out of those doors. This looks pretty cool! :shades:

Can't tell who the restaurant will be though ... looks like this paperwork was turned in by Pazdan-Smith. Could this be the rumored Tyler Florence restaurant? :dontknow:

Is this replacing Overlook Cafe? If so - anyone know when Overlook is closing?

No. The Overlook Grill is down below the outdoor seating for the Boathouse at the Falls. This is replacing what had been the sales office for the Terrace at RiverPlace, which now has a lot of paper over the windows as you walk by on Main Street (where the other ("farmer," as my daughter likes to call him) guy offers carriage rides).

No. The Overlook Grill is down below the outdoor seating for the Boathouse at the Falls. This is replacing what had been the sales office for the Terrace at RiverPlace, which now has a lot of paper over the windows as you walk by on Main Street (where the other ("farmer," as my daughter likes to call him) guy offers carriage rides).

I had no idea there were two different carriage rides offered downtown. I've seen the signs in the West End, but I just thought they moved from the Poinsett. Thanks!

Some details on the new restaurant at Falls Place:

Doc 1

Doc 2

Doc 3

Doc 4

Doc 5

Doc 6

Looks like it's going to involve a substantial number of outdoor tables (22) and seating for 88 guests outdoors under the big white awning at the Main Street entrance to Falls Park. Additionally, looks like there will be a couple of new doors into and out of the restaurant as well as bridges over the gap so people can safely in and out of those doors. This looks pretty cool! :shades:

Aren't those outdoors tables on the upper level currently part of city property? Once the Boathouse opens, would be nice to see another area of free tables for people that want to bring food to the park.

If done right, that area could have a name all of its own..."the Ballpark District." :thumbsup:

How about a "Shoeless Joe" district? We already have the logo, a ballpark, a statue, and a museum, so it could really potentially create another unique attraction for Greenville's downtown. Visitors should immediately realize that Greenville fully embraces its rich baseball history and celebrates the goodness of the game passed down through multiple generations. Now would be an excellent time to seize upon this opportunity, considering the "freshness" of the the ballpark, the significant events planned, and the drastic revitalization underway around it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I saw that sign the other day too. They should hurry up on starting that project.

That whole area bounded by Augusta, Church, and the County Offices seemed bad to me, it could use some major help. What kind of people could they get to move in there with the streets in that kind of condition? Has anyone noticed current tenants moving or leaving that area of the West End? Would anyone know if most of them own or rent those houses? I guess what can Greenville do to clean up areas like that in the West End?

I saw that sign the other day too. They should hurry up on starting that project.

That whole area bounded by Augusta, Church, and the County Offices seemed bad to me, it could use some major help. What kind of people could they get to move in there with the streets in that kind of condition? Has anyone noticed current tenants moving or leaving that area of the West End? Would anyone know if most of them own or rent those houses? I guess what can Greenville do to clean up areas like that in the West End?

There are a lot of long time residents, many in rented homes in that area.

Sounds like you are proposing some type of gentrification of the area?

Greenville could work to create with some public/ private partnership, much in the way that other nearby renewal efforts have undergone. I'm hesitant to just move in different people. There are some real issues with affordable housing, and some real social stresses with rising downtown costs pushing out long time poorer residents, areas that need to be treaded lightly and with some wisdom.

• 1 month later...

You guys know the space in West End with the red painted pipes and valves in the window....faces Main? Across from Carolina Traithlon. It used to be a gallery. It is empty now and I noticed yesterday a logo painted on the windows that I had never noticed. "Chicora West End". Is Chicora Alley opening up another restaurant or was this the name of the gallery that was located in the space? I never knew the name of that gallery. The space is empty, but there are no lease signs in the window. Looks like there is a plan in place for this spot. Anyone know?