The West End

gs3

My daughter and I were downtown this afternoon, enjoying the beautiful weather. We weren't the only ones enjoying it since this is Spring Break Week.

We walked by Munchies and saw that they are opening on March 28. They have their menu posted outside. It's a lot different than I expected. They will have a funnel cake, but they will also have hamburgers, hot dogs, a grilled cheese with bacon, Fresh cut Fries and a good variety of other items. They will have some ice cream specialties, also. They have what they call Southern Snow, which will be their version of a snow cone. One of their big draws will be their candy department. They have a huge area of all kinds of candy, yet different stuff than what they have at Mast General. I have a feeling they will do pretty well. Their prices may be a little high when feeding a large family, but if you are just there for snow cones or a funnel cake, it won't be too bad. If I had thought about it then, I would have taken a picture of the menu and put it on here.

We definitely decided we need to go back next week and explore some more. We haven't gotten downtown to just walk around in a few months and a lot has changed in the West End. It's always fun to find somewhere new to shop!

Great to hear. Have a feeling this place will be a gold mine. Were their fries in a funnel cup with paper lining by any chance? I want someone downtown to do this (Pommes Frites) so you can walk and eat them.....more potato straw style......dip them in mayo. Yumm.

Great to hear. Have a feeling this place will be a gold mine. Were their fries in a funnel cup with paper lining by any chance? I want someone downtown to do this (Pommes Frites) so you can walk and eat them.....more potato straw style......dip them in mayo. Yumm.

Hey - great idea with the Belgian Fries. That'd be awesome! I could see an assortment of dipping sauces.

Hey - great idea with the Belgian Fries. That'd be awesome! I could see an assortment of dipping sauces.

The only details given on the fries were that they were Fresh cut. At least they aren't the frozen ones. I, too, immediately thought of the ones in the funnel cups.

I have a feeling they will make their money from the hamburgers, sandwiches and foods like that. I just looked online and they have their menu posted. Here's the link:

http://www.munchiesgreenville.com/

And, yes, the fries are in a cup!!

Does anyone know if this is a franchise or something original to Greenville?

Edited by gvilledh

The only details given on the fries were that they were Fresh cut. At least they aren't the frozen ones. I, too, immediately thought of the ones in the funnel cups.

I have a feeling they will make their money from the hamburgers, sandwiches and foods like that. I just looked online and they have their menu posted. Here's the link:

http://www.munchiesgreenville.com/

And, yes, the fries are in a cup!!

Does anyone know if this is a franchise or something original to Greenville?

Those chili cheese fries on the menu sound really good right now! :P

I also love the "Go Drive!" in the description for the chips with cheese and salsa.

Based on everything discussed on here about them, it seems like they might would do best selling from a cart. I'm not sure if we still do, but I think we have (or have had) at least 3 hot dog carts along Main in the City Center. I'm not sure if they're all still in business but it definitely adds to the livelihood of downtown. The test would be getting approval from the City to be anywhere near its prize: Falls Park...

We shall see how it does though! :)

Munchies is just South of Subway, Spill the Beans, and Pomegranate on Main. I had turned my nose up at it too soon, I suppose. I may have to stop in this weekend with the kids and treat them to something.

I still think its hilarious it used to be an exercise place. Maybe everyone got fit, so they decided they had to open up a junk food place to make everyone fat again. They'll open the gym back up in a few years! :lol:

Based on everything discussed on here about them, it seems like they might would do best selling from a cart. I'm not sure if we still do, but I think we have (or have had) at least 3 hot dog carts along Main in the City Center. I'm not sure if they're all still in business but it definitely adds to the livelihood of downtown. The test would be getting approval from the City to be anywhere near its prize: Falls Park...

We shall see how it does though! :)

This may have been covered somewhere before, I'm not sure. Why doesn't the city let anyone have the carts inside the park? I've thought from the time it opened that we would see them in there. I really expected it and looked forward to it. I was thinking mainly popcorn or snowcones in the summer, coffee in the winter, and water and soft drinks all the time. The hotdog carts would be great, too, but if they don't want to do that, they could at least a few places out in the park to get drinks for the kids. Another thought would be to let local charities run the areas on the weekends as a way to make money.

This may have been covered somewhere before, I'm not sure. Why doesn't the city let anyone have the carts inside the park? I've thought from the time it opened that we would see them in there. I really expected it and looked forward to it. I was thinking mainly popcorn or snowcones in the summer, coffee in the winter, and water and soft drinks all the time. The hotdog carts would be great, too, but if they don't want to do that, they could at least a few places out in the park to get drinks for the kids. Another thought would be to let local charities run the areas on the weekends as a way to make money.

That's a great idea for local charities.

I don't know if things have changed, but the original hot dog vendor, who is a forumer here known as "dogs on wheels" I believe, was hassled by the City. (at least at Fall for Greenville, but I was thinking it also had to do with his permanent placement downtown). I'd need some verification, but that's what I was thinking...

It's in a thread here somewhere, but as I remember, DogsOnWheels applied for a permit to operate in several locations downtown, including inside of Falls Park, and was turned down. He went through several hoops to get set up and open to begin with. I don't recall the reasoning (if any was even given) for not allowing him to set up inside the park, but I've always thought it would be a great idea as well. I could see a pretzel cart, a hot dog cart, hawaiian shaved ice, water, popcorn, etc., too. Hopefully Munchies may be able to fill part of that void given its proximity. Overlook Grill has always been very good about having beverages on ice outside on their patio, thankfully.

Travo and his crew may not like the idea very much, though. :P:lol:

Edited by RestedTraveler

I can see the litterbugs leaving their trash everywhere too, instead of taking a couple of steps to a trashcan. Actually it may require more trashcans and personnel to empty them. The added cost for maintaining them would not be offset by the permit revenue.

Edited by Chickenwing

I would kill to get some true, Belgian-style Pomme Frites in downtown. Flying back and forth to Europe for fries is getting too expensive...

Edited by StrangeCock

It's in a thread here somewhere, but as I remember, DogsOnWheels applied for a permit to operate in several locations downtown, including inside of Falls Park, and was turned down.

I thought I had read somewhere that "DogsonWheels had tried to get inside the park or at least in front of it and had not been able to. Maybe trash concerns are the issue. Sometimes it's hard to figure out how their minds are working. Things that seem obvious to those of us who use the park, aren't always so obvious to those in charge. Of course, they could also have good reasons. And you are right-Travo wouldn't be too happy, and we want Travo happy since he has good info!

It's in a thread here somewhere, but as I remember, DogsOnWheels applied for a permit to operate in several locations downtown, including inside of Falls Park, and was turned down. He went through several hoops to get set up and open to begin with. I don't recall the reasoning (if any was even given) for not allowing him to set up inside the park, but I've always thought it would be a great idea as well. I could see a pretzel cart, a hot dog cart, hawaiian shaved ice, water, popcorn, etc., too. Hopefully Munchies may be able to fill part of that void given its proximity. Overlook Grill has always been very good about having beverages on ice outside on their patio, thankfully.

Travo and his crew may not like the idea very much, though. :P:lol:

Although we would hate the extra litter that it would create, I don't think that any of the FP crew would turn down a hot dog, pretzel, or a cold drink! Right now Starbucks cups are enemy #1, as it seems that they just can't find their way into the trash cans.

In all seriousness, I really don't know why they will not allow vendors in the park. Last year there was a Vitamin Water cart in the park handing out FREE samples, but the assistant garden manager had to run them out. It may have to do with clogging up pathways that pedestrians need to use, along with our need to use the walkways to transport Mowers and other equipment into the Park.

I really could have used some hot chocolate a few times this past winter. :P

Edited by Travo

In all seriousness, I really don't know why they will not allow vendors in the park. Last year there was a Vitamin Water cart in the park handing out FREE samples, but the assistant garden manager had to run them out. It may have to do with clogging up pathways that pedestrians need to use, along with our need to use the walkways to transport Mowers and other equipment into the Park.

I think they should be allowed (within reason and parameters) and people would enjoy it. I think that the reason they don't allow it is that is sets a precedence of letting commercial ventures do business on city property/sidewalks. I ran into this when I started my downtown walking tour business. I wanted to put up A-frame signs that showed people where my tours started, times, locations, etc. I found out there was an ordinance that only businesses with physical buildings could put temporary signs out on the public sidewalk in front of their businesses. Since I didn't have a building, I couldn't put signs up. They ended up working with me for a decent solution, but that was the issue.

They seem to be hesitant, and rightly so, to let commercial ventures use city property because one they let one do it, another will come and say, "well you let them do it," and it gets to be a slippery slope. There may be more to it, but I think that this at least factors into it.

...Right now Starbucks cups are enemy #1, as it seems that they just can't find their way into the trash cans.

I have to laugh at that because it brings to mind this photo that Denton posted on GreenvilleDailyPhoto.com:

http://www.greenvilledailyphoto.com/index....t-to-disappear/

I most certainly throw my Starbucks and O-Cha cups in the garbage cans in downtown, I can guarantee you that. I just wish there were places to accept them for recycling. <_<

I hear ya on the hot cocoa though, man. Maybe this will warm your heart (and give you a laugh).

Edited by RestedTraveler

Not sure where to put this, but it appears that the restaraunt that was going into the Rocks and Ropes space may not be built after all. I have no details, but the sign has been taken down and the "Available" sign is back up. Did I miss something? anyone have the skinny on this? I was really looking forward to that one.

Not sure where to put this, but it appears that the restaraunt that was going into the Rocks and Ropes space may not be built after all. I have no details, but the sign has been taken down and the "Available" sign is back up. Did I miss something? anyone have the skinny on this? I was really looking forward to that one.

Someone posted within the last month about the plans falling through for the live music venue/bar/restaurant there. I do not remember who posted it, or which thread it was in, but everyone seemed disappointed. If there is one thing Greenville needs more of, it's live music venues downtown. The Handlebar is cool, but doesn't contribute to the urban fabric like this one at Rocks and Ropes would've.

Does anyone know why the plans fell through?

Someone posted within the last month about the plans falling through for the live music venue/bar/restaurant there. I do not remember who posted it, or which thread it was in, but everyone seemed disappointed. If there is one thing Greenville needs more of, it's live music venues downtown. The Handlebar is cool, but doesn't contribute to the urban fabric like this one at Rocks and Ropes would've.

Have you been to Smiley's Acoustic Cafe yet? It's a smaller place than the old Rocks and Ropes, but they have at least one live band every night. The food is decent+ and the staff is really friendly. I believe the owners used to run a similar type of venue before they opened this one. It's in the same building as the Life is Good store.

On a side note, I'm bummed that Rocks and Ropes couldn't stay if there isn't going to be another tenant in the near term. I bought a membership there instead of a traditional gym. It was much more fun and still a great workout.

Here's a pic of the inside:

2284605557_7af03d75cd.jpg

^^ That's where the BBQ place had been, isn't it? I'll have to go back down that way again soon and check it out.

I'm kinda bummed about the Rocks & Ropes situation, too. I didn't ever go there (you've met me, so you know I'm in no shape to climb ... YET), but it would have been cool to go to once I got to my fitness goal.

The though also occured to me that it would have been convenient if the Handlebar and Rocks & Ropes could have traded locations.