The West End

gs3

^^ That's where the BBQ place had been, isn't it? I'll have to go back down that way again soon and check it out.

I believe. I went to the BBQ once and it was no Smoke and Stokes or Smoke on the Water, so we didn't return.

I glad that this side of town is starting to fill out more. When we moved our office to this it reminded me of Clemson when the good food was on the opposite side of campus. Ten of us used to make the trip a few times a week. Plus, now I've replaced Atlanta Bread Co. breakfast with Saffrons breakfast. I think their breakfasts are one of the best kept secrets over here (Oops!).

I'm kinda bummed about the Rocks & Ropes situation, too. I didn't ever go there (you've met me, so you know I'm in no shape to climb ... YET), but it would have been cool to go to once I got to my fitness goal.

The though also occured to me that it would have been convenient if the Handlebar and Rocks & Ropes could have traded locations.

That would have been awesome.

You guys do know that Rocks and Ropes still exists, right? They were moving to a larger place somewhere between Greer and TR, I think.

Yep. They've switched names to Climbing@Blue Ridge -- http://www.brclimb.com

It stinks that they are so far away. I used to be able to walk from work.

PS - Way off topic, but did they just push a new look out to the forums?

Yep. They've switched names to Climbing@Blue Ridge -- http://www.brclimb.com

It stinks that they are so far away. I used to be able to walk from work.

That's good to know. I had no idea they were still in business.

PS - Way off topic, but did they just push a new look out to the forums?

Yes. Yes, they did. Get used to it. It happens pretty frequently (at least once or twice per year). When they re-org the menus, that's what throws me for a loop. I get used to exact mouse movements and clicks to get to where I go and those same repetitive movements take me some place I don't want to be....Alan Cooper would freak.

Going back to the West End receiving the Governor's Cup, some number that weren't mentioned in the Greenville News or on here were this: (courtesy of the Riverplacesc.com )

-More than 1 million people have walked across the Liberty Bridge since it opened.

-The county's hotel occupancy rate was 65 percent in 2007, compared with 53 percent in 2004, the year Liberty Bridge opened.

-Gross annual retail sales within the West End have increased 145 percent (to $12.5 million from $5 million) since Falls Park opened.

-Restaurant sales within the West End have increased more than sixfold (to $12.5 million from $1.7 million) since the park opened.

We discussed the retail sales, but I think the most telling of the West End's revitalization story is the restaurant sales. Increasing almost $11 million! :w00t:

THE GREEN MONSTER HAS BEEN APPROVED!!!!!! :yahoo:

Here is the Greenville news Article

That is really going to spark things in the rest of the West End now.

This is great news!! I am very happy that they finally came up with a design that was approved. I liked where they where going with first ones, but the bottom level looked too much like the entrance to a CVS for me. The graphic in the Greenville News is much better. I also like how the other buildings facades are being kept more in line with the rest of the West End. I wonder which retailers?? Hopefully not CVS...

This is great news!! I am very happy that they finally came up with a design that was approved. I liked where they where going with first ones, but the bottom level looked too much like the entrance to a CVS for me. The graphic in the Greenville News is much better. I also like how the other buildings facades are being kept more in line with the rest of the West End. I wonder which retailers?? Hopefully not CVS...

I think a drugstore in the West End makes a lot of sense. The closest drug store we have to the CBD is the Rite Aid at Stone and Main, so this would fill a nice void. I would prefer a Walgreens, but I'll take CVS too. :)

Regardless, I am thrilled about this development! Thankfully, the DPC's initial rejections of the plan were reversed. Hopefully this project will truly break ground by the end of the year. :thumbsup:

THE GREEN MONSTER HAS BEEN APPROVED!!!!!! :yahoo:

Here is the Greenville news Article

That is really going to spark things in the rest of the West End now.

I noticed they ditched the spire and alot of glass, but is this a story shorter as well?

Isn't there a pharmacy in the Publix at McBee Station? :dontknow:
Nope there is not.

I noticed they ditched the spire and alot of glass, but is this a story shorter as well?

Nope there is not.

Hmmm... that's weird. My wife picked up a perscription there the other day. If they don't have a pharmancy I may have to sit down and have a LOOOONNNG talk with her! :lol:

I think you're right. I wasn't just thinking about a place to get prescriptions filled, but rather a drug store and all of its offerings (pharmacy, photo development, some groceries, beauty supplies, etc.).

Well a grocery store already has most of those things. You could think of a grocery store as a big pharmacy that sells a lot of food! :P

Well a grocery store already has most of those things. You could think of a grocery store as a big pharmacy that sells a lot of food! :P

:lol:

I see your point, linkerjpatrick. But there is something to be said for the quick convenience of a drug store when you need a greeting card, or a soda, or a stick of deodorant - especially when the previously closest option was a car ride away at McBee Station. With the growing number of residents and businesspeople in the West End, something like a Walgreens or CVS will become increasingly essential to have. :)

I agree about a pharmacy. While a grocery store offers the same things, basically, there's a certain amount of 'quickness' associated with a drugstore. You don't have to get in line behind someone buying their next two weeks of food, while you just wanted that pack of gum you've been craving...

:w00t: Anyway, This is great news for the West End. If all goes as planned, the current 'primary' activity zone will expand greatly. It's hard to tell, but I wish/hope that retail does not ONLY front Main. River Street will warrant the street level presence in the not-so-distant future as Riverplace continues to expand toward River Street, and the proposed Chicora gets built on Rhett Street... This is a fantastic development to lift some spirits around here.

Bravo and Hooray !!

This is easily the BEST of the three designs. Craig Gaulden Davis preserved the history, while still finding a way to get the square footage necessary to make the project work from an economic standpoint.

Congratulations to the DPC for standing firm and sticking to their guns. The tallest part of the new building looks like a completely separate building from the historic ones, as it should. We are eating our cake and having it too, for once. I can't wait to see this one go up.

As is typical, these 'battles' usually produce a better project than the original one in the end.

:yahoo:

Nope there is not.

I hate to disagree with you, btoy, but there is a pharmacy at the McBee Station Publix. I've seen it. :lol:

There was just a story on WYFF-4 about this new development as well. It seems the property owner, developer, West End Association, DPC, and city all partnered to get this thing approved and to make everyone happy. Nice to see!

I just don't see why it had to take this long. The article says they had to get lawyers involved which means the city probably had to to. That means my tax money being spent on personal grudges and that bothers me. What really kills me is that the Army Navy owners were trying to sell out to that Mack developer which shifts the real fortune into the hands of some one who is more palatable to those with the power and it seems like maybe the thoughts of Jeff Zaglin are right and they dislike them so much that they just don't want to see them make any money. If there is one good thing that might come out of the slowed economy it might be a willingness to put these types of grudges to the side in favor of profit and quality growth.

I just don't see why it had to take this long. The article says they had to get lawyers involved which means the city probably had to to. That means my tax money being spent on personal grudges and that bothers me. What really kills me is that the Army Navy owners were trying to sell out to that Mack developer which shifts the real fortune into the hands of some one who is more palatable to those with the power and it seems like maybe the thoughts of Jeff Zaglin are right and they dislike them so much that they just don't want to see them make any money. If there is one good thing that might come out of the slowed economy it might be a willingness to put these types of grudges to the side in favor of profit and quality growth.

It's difficult to say with 100% certainty without being directly involved, but I see no evidence that this was personal at all. Once a plan that 1)preserved the history and 2) maintained the mass and scale of the West End area was submited, it was approved. That had never happened until now. This also isn't the first project to be rejected by DPC by any means.

For a project of this size, city approvals of one or mutiple types are routine. The city already has attorneys on staff and this is well within their expected responsibilities. That goes for most cities.

The city has high standards. If developers are willing to meet those, then fine, if not they need to go somewhere else.

The Charleston Place Hotel/retail project in the heart of that city took 10 years of legal wrangling to get approved. Today, all parties involved agree the end result is far superior to the original concept.