The West End

gs3

GvilleSC is an all-star. He saw it on television, remembered the precise details, and then reproduced the rendering with some of his architecture software. :shades:

:lol: Actually, funny thing is, this semester's project is on this very site in the West End. So, I do have a model of my own for the site. If all else fails, about 50 Clemson architecture kids have proposals for the old Sheally site and the empty space that connects through to Main.

Anyway, the image is from WYFF4.com. So the quality and skills go to them... though, I do know how to cut and paste!!! :)

THE GREEN MONSTER HAS BEEN APPROVED!!!!!! :yahoo:

Here is the Greenville news Article

That is really going to spark things in the rest of the West End now.

Fantastic news.

Maybe it is just my computer, but I can't find a link above to the current approved rendering. Does it look greatly different from the previous rendering?

For future reference, here's the rendering from WYFF:

15914353.jpg

It looks like they'll be tearing down that little old brick building (it looks like 1 story/1 room) that's tagged on the back of the Clyde and Hovey's Dry Good's store (a.k.a. "The Green Monster"). I haven't had time yet to look into what that little structure was built/used for in its past. Does anyone here know?

bilde-1.jpg

I know the West End is an historic district, but is that a blue DeLorean on the right??

On a more serious note, I believe that behind the currently proposed building is a dirt lot. are the buildings they have behind the proposed building just fluff to make the rendering look nice? Where do they draw the line (sorry), between made up 'what could be' buildings and that which currently exists.

If I'm not mistaken, that dirt lot and the three buildings closest to River Street are all a part of this project (two of the buildings exist today, and one is an empty gap). I think everything you see down River Street in the rendering up to the church is a part of this project, not just fluff. Can anyone confirm?

Edited by GvilleSC

If I recall correctly, the former Sheely Electric site (now the dirt lot) is part of this same overall project, as is the gap between the two buildings on the corner and the row to the left of them. This will be filled in as well. I seem to recall someone saying something about the Sheely Electric site being a parking garage, but I don't remember - been too long. :dontknow:

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any sort of history to the Cooks Station building in the West End? I detest their parking lot in front of the building and the driveway to Main. It just seems even more dangerous as activity in the district continues to increase to have cars crossing the sidewalk. I can understand that back when the other side of the River was not a good place to adventure you might want close parking, but it's not needed today. Anyway, I asked about the building because I'd love to see something about 3 stories occupy that site and make the building next door not look so alone. If nothing else, I wouldn't mind the City buying that parking lot from the owners and extending Shoeless Joe Plaza...

Did anyone else hear about or see the damage done by an SUV hitting Pomegranate on Main? The owner seems to have a very positive attitude about the entire deal, despite the $50,000 worth of repair. He has a sign on the wall that brags about the restaurant being the only one in downtown with a drive thru. He also plans to add a new sign saying something like, when you want drive thru service, sometimes you just have to make it happen. The restaurant is still open, in case anyone was curious. ^_^

Yea - I saw the video interview with the owner and the 35-40 photos that were on the Greenville News' site last night after it happened. It's amazing that nobody was hurt even though the guy drove through the front window right at the Dinner Hour. I suspect everyone saw and heard the commotion of the gentleman first driving his SUV into the white car that was parked in front of Pomegranate and had time to move the heck out of the way before he came crashing through the window. In the video on GreenvilleOnline.com, the owner said he intended to spend the night cleaning up and planned to be open for business today. It's cool that he was able to get it done! :thumbsup:

Is there any sort of history to the Cooks Station building in the West End? I detest their parking lot in front of the building and the driveway to Main. It just seems even more dangerous as activity in the district continues to increase to have cars crossing the sidewalk. I can understand that back when the other side of the River was not a good place to adventure you might want close parking, but it's not needed today. Anyway, I asked about the building because I'd love to see something about 3 stories occupy that site and make the building next door not look so alone. If nothing else, I wouldn't mind the City buying that parking lot from the owners and extending Shoeless Joe Plaza...

I was just thinking about this as well. That building, and especially the parking lot in front, is a huge waste of space. I wonder how well the Cooks Station does? It's a cool store, but I would imagine that they could easily sell that land for a very nice profit and relocate to another location in the West End or downtown.

I agree about a 3-story structure looking great there! :thumbsup:

Just a thought, but perhaps they could temporarily move while building a new building on the site themselves and move into the ground-floor retail space while earning income from leasing out office and residential space above? I agree that something more directly fronting South Main would be better there than that parking lot.

I was just thinking about this as well. That building, and especially the parking lot in front, is a huge waste of space. I wonder how well the Cooks Station does? It's a cool store, but I would imagine that they could easily sell that land for a very nice profit and relocate to another location in the West End or downtown.

I agree about a 3-story structure looking great there! :thumbsup:

I asked the owners what it was before they moved in, but I can't remember now. Maybe a gas station. I'll have to find out again.

I seem to remember seeing more space that the Cooks Station owns across the street near the triangular building at the intersection. Am I crazy? Don't they have more space somewhere over there?

I asked the owners what it was before they moved in, but I can't remember now. Maybe a gas station. I'll have to find out again.

I seem to remember seeing more space that the Cooks Station owns across the street near the triangular building at the intersection. Am I crazy? Don't they have more space somewhere over there?

Yea, you're right they do have more space somewhere (for storage, I'd presume). They must do pretty well if they can afford to either own all that property (two buildings, and parking on main) or even just to rent two prime retail locations.

Well, since y'all agree, I'm going to add it to my list of things to improve in downtown Greenville once I win the Powerball. Other things include buying enough condos in proposed towers so that they reach their presales and building the 'link' that will bridge the gap between Heritage Green and Main Street... :D

Yea - I saw the video interview with the owner and the 35-40 photos that were on the Greenville News' site last night after it happened. It's amazing that nobody was hurt even though the guy drove through the front window right at the Dinner Hour. I suspect everyone saw and heard the commotion of the gentleman first driving his SUV into the white car that was parked in front of Pomegranate and had time to move the heck out of the way before he came crashing through the window. In the video on GreenvilleOnline.com, the owner said he intended to spend the night cleaning up and planned to be open for business today. It's cool that he was able to get it done! :thumbsup:

Yesterday, I noticed the Fox Carolina van and the boarded up windows when I came into work. I got the story from some co-workers. I'm not surprised that something like this has happened because it is hard to see left coming out of the parking lot across the street from the restaurant. I did find it a little bit of a coincidence, however, that Pomegranate is putting up a new roof over their patio today. Expected insurance check maybe?? :shades: