The West End

gs3

It looks like they'll be tearing down that little old brick building (it looks like 1 story/1 room) that's tagged on the back of the Clyde and Hovey's Dry Good's store (a.k.a. "The Green Monster"). I haven't had time yet to look into what that little structure was built/used for in its past. Does anyone here know?

This has probably been said before, but what is the off white colored 3 storey building on the other side of the Army Navy? It appears to be empty and in need of repairs. But it also looks quite historic. Any plans for it?

This has probably been said before, but what is the off white colored 3 storey building on the other side of the Army Navy? It appears to be empty and in need of repairs. But it also looks quite historic. Any plans for it?

I've wondered this too! I really like the large windows on that building. I think it'd be beautiful if redone. It's the only remaining empty storefront on that block of Main in the West End.

There's an interesting development in the West End, according to this week's Greenville Journal. It seems that the new owner of Spill the Beans is relocating across the street from Starbucks in the Falls Place spot that had been previously planned for the Boathouse.

AND it will have a NEWSSTAND !! Thumbs up on that. They will add menu items as well, including oatmeal with a large choice of toppings. One of the toppings was "Gummy bears", which sounds gross, but I guess that is to appeal to kids.

I look forward to this. That space is WAY too focal to the Park to simiply be blank windows.

BTW, Spill the Beans has extended hours, which is much needed in DT/West End, IMO.

We were just discussing this information the other day, but I cannot recall which thread it is in. It will undoubtedly be a good move for the shop, though I am not a huge fan of the place personally.

Honestly, I used to like it a lot and then it became not-so-good over the past year or so...but the new owner evidently took it over from her father-in-law in February after learning that he was planning to sell it. I've definitely not been in there this year, so I may have to go back. It sounds as though she's mixing things up quite nicely.

I'm really looking forward to a good out-of-town news stand. We've been sorely in need of one of those. Yes, you can read anything you want on the internet, but there's just something about sitting and holding (and reading) the Denver Post or the Boston Globe or whatever. I hope they have a good selection of national and international (from Germany, France, Scotland, etc.) publications.

You're right there! I am curious to know how much the price of national and international newspaper shipments are affected by the rising fuel cost and postage increases.

A lot of these may turn to what the Wall Street Journal did a few years back and simply digitally transmit their entire publication to a local or regional press for printing and distribution. It's a lot more economical than shipping them the old-fashioned way. :thumbsup:

Honestly, I used to like it a lot and then it became not-so-good over the past year or so...but the new owner evidently took it over from her father-in-law in February after learning that he was planning to sell it. I've definitely not been in there this year, so I may have to go back. It sounds as though she's mixing things up quite nicely.

I'm really looking forward to a good out-of-town news stand. We've been sorely in need of one of those. Yes, you can read anything you want on the internet, but there's just something about sitting and holding (and reading) the Denver Post or the Boston Globe or whatever. I hope they have a good selection of national and international (from Germany, France, Scotland, etc.) publications.

I really like the newsstand part as well. Great move by Spill the Beans! :thumbsup:

This will also be a perfect location for such a newsstand. It's convenient to Falls Park, Hampton Inn, and won't be too far from the new Courtyard.

I will be surprised if they have a huge selection of newspapers, but hopefully they will at least have some of the more major ones (New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, Los Angeles Times). Hopefully their idea of "newsstand" isn't only The State and Post & Courier. :lol:

I really like the newsstand part as well. Great move by Spill the Beans! :thumbsup:

This will also be a perfect location for such a newsstand. It's convenient to Falls Park, Hampton Inn, and won't be too far from the new Courtyard.

I will be surprised if they have a huge selection of newspapers, but hopefully they will at least have some of the more major ones (New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, Los Angeles Times). Hopefully their idea of "newsstand" isn't only The State and Post & Courier. :lol:

But wouldn't you love it if this were something more like the "Out of Town News" there in Harvard Square across from the Coop? :shades: I know I would.

Edited by RestedTraveler

But wouldn't you love it if this were something more like the "Out of Town News" there in Harvard Square across from the Coop? :shades: I know I would.

I somehow missed that when I lived in Boston for a summer. I spent a day in Cambridge checking out Harvard and Coop's, but did not see Out of Town News. But to answer your question, that would be PERFECT for Falls Park! :shades:

It'd be great if retail space were available somewhere on the other side of the Liberty Bridge from Falls Place. Bowater's building needs a ground-level overhaul and some of the other buildings could just be renovated entirely or replaced all together.

Agreed, I think having some attractions on that side would help to expand the DT feel as well. Actually, I think it woul dbe cool for the current Bowater building to be converted into a mixed use building; Shops and maybe a museum on the botton floor, with apts or condos on top, and have them build a new Bowater HQ on one of the vacant sites we are always talking about. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the link Skyliner.

• 2 weeks later...

Was walking to Subway for lunch today and noticed that in the Chicora West End Office (windows papered up, used to be an art gallery) they were unloading samples out of boxes for cabinet types etc. So the sales office for this tower could be opening soon. It probably helped that the DPC approved the Green Monster. Hopefully now we shoudl start to see soem stuff in the news about this West-End Tower.

Was walking to Subway for lunch today and noticed that in the Chicora West End Office (windows papered up, used to be an art gallery) they were unloading samples out of boxes for cabinet types etc. So the sales office for this tower could be opening soon. It probably helped that the DPC approved the Green Monster. Hopefully now we shoudl start to see soem stuff in the news about this West-End Tower.

What tower? :dontknow:

What tower? :dontknow:
This is the long awaited 8-story residential building ("tower") planned for the Sun Heating property on Rhett Street. The original plan was to build an attractive 10-story structure on the property, which is located at the pinnacle of a small hill overlooking RiverPlace and parts of the West End Historic District.

Maybe this should be in the rumor thread, but I just spoke to someone today who would definitely know...the triangular area across from the Fluor Field (around the Shoeless Joe Museum) is up for a major development on the whole piece of land. I was told it may really go forward within the next 6 months. Let's hope, wait, and see...

Is this the piece of land with that hideous 4 or so story office building? I hope so!

If this is indeed in the works and happens, not only will it be huge addition to Augusta Street, but it will compliment the Brick Street Lofts across the street quite nicely.

Is this the piece of land with that hideous 4 or so story office building? I hope so!

If this is indeed in the works and happens, not only will it be huge addition to Augusta Street, but it will compliment the Brick Street Lofts across the street quite nicely.

That would be the C. Dan Joyner offices. Is C. Dan Joyner moving? Is that the building being referred to?